yassmine2878

Moroccan Health Question

57 posts in this topic

Im curious to know if anyone else with an SO from Morocco (or any other MENA country) has experienced this situation. Mind you, Im not making fun of this particular idea, I am just extremely curious as to where its coming from. My husband is convinced that eating/drinking cold things (popsicles, cold drinks, milkshakes, etc) is harmful to you because your stomach is warmer than the food. He even told me last night that I should ask my doctor about the wisdom of partaking cold beverages during pregnancy. Has anyone else encountered this theory? I spoke with another MENA girlfriend and she said her husband also has the same belief. Where does this idea come from? Is is common medical knowledge overseas?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here. When I was in Algeria and it was about 100 degrees out my husband's mom used to get upset when I took water directly from the fridge to drink it. She said it was bad and would make me sick (upset stomach? sore throat? i dunno) and I needed to drink warmer liquids. I was like, I'll do a lot of things, but one thing I won't do is drink room temperature water when it's 100 degrees out. I'm hot. And if i get sick - so be it!

ALSO... I like this one: I really like popsicles. And those are cold. So my husband says not to eat them/eat them too fast because they're so cold. But when he gets out a mixing bowl full of ice cream and shoves it in his face everythings fine!

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

i've never heard this one but i believe they would say that! try and walk barefoot on the "cold" floor of their house and you'll hear it from them about how bad it is! hahaha ;)

Edited by abdounjen

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

That was one of the first things i noticed, no ice...but he did eat the ice cream bars. Also i mentioned iced tea a few days ago he said he knew of it but never had it...ill ask him tonight and get his thoughts..

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Wait till he sees me CHEW ice all night long!!! :lol:

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

ALSO... I like this one: I really like popsicles. And those are cold. So my husband says not to eat them/eat them too fast because they're so cold. But when he gets out a mixing bowl full of ice cream and shoves it in his face everythings fine!

Ohhhhh me too. Ive always loved popsicles and they're even more of a staple now that Im going through all the lovely morning sickness. But every time Ahmed sees me with one he frowns and tells me I will hurt my stomach. But he keeps a jug of water in the fridge to drink when he gets home from the gym. Go figure?????

i've never heard this one but i believe they would say that! try and walk barefoot on the "cold" floor of their house and you'll hear it from them about how bad it is! hahaha ;)

Exactly! My mother-in-law was so adamant about this that she would make me wear her tee-tiny shoes in the halls if she caught me going barefoot! Im southern! We dont use shoes LOL.

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

Adnan thought this when he first got here but he has been converted to an ice lover and cold drink/popsicle/etc lover...

maybe it will pass for your guys....?

I cant live without iced drinks.

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

From certain medical standpoints, yes, it's not the best idea for your health. Room temp and warm beverages are much better for your digestion. From studying oriental medicine for a few years, this is a big no-no for them. I highly doubt your healthcare provider would care one way or the other, but ask a DOM (Doctor of Oriental Medicine) and they will tell you to stay away from colder beverages and treats (ice cream, frozen yogurt, etc).

Most of the time, I follow this, but in 110degree weather, I'm digging some chilled water. Normally, I drink room temp tho.

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Actually, I remember hearing/seeing a medical report about how cold drinks can contribute to how cholestrol hardens in the arteries. Mentioned that warm/hot tea was better for you than iced tea.

Guess I should have looked to see if the contributing doctor was from MENA!!!!!

MoFlair.jpgbadsign.jpgfaris.jpgpassport.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

When I first met Wadi, he thought it was so weird that I put ice in my drinks. Now he can't live without it, and he's even more insistent on it than I am. He also thought it was weird that I ate eggs for breakfast. Want to guess what he likes for breakfast now? :whistle:

It's a pretty common belief in many countries around the world. For Idir, he likes some drinks cold but a drink loaded w ith ice thats too cold. Though he did discover frappacinos LOL

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Exactly! My mother-in-law was so adamant about this that she would make me wear her tee-tiny shoes in the halls if she caught me going barefoot! Im southern! We dont use shoes LOL.

omg my mother-in-law-to-be does the same thing! she actually looks under the dinner table to make sure i'm sitting there with slippers on! if not, she'll get up and go get a pair of hers that are half my size!HAHAHA

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I just started cracking up by reading the subject of this post - I didn't even have to read on to know what you were gonna say! Yes, I've encountered this theory many times. According to a Moroccan doctor, it was also the cause of my allergies while there!

The main thing I've heard though is you shouldn't drink cold water when you're very hot, like you've been outside in the sun or something like that.

But don't get me started on Moroccans and their obsession with avoiding coldness of any sort (cold feet, taking too many baths, sleeping with two thick blankets in the summer, cold bones, etc.). It's basically the cause of every known human illness! ;)

timeline doesn't matter.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.