selly

Time To Take Advantage Of The Dollar Rate

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

For all of those VJers that are iminantly about to move across to the US, the exchange rate for the British Pound against the US Dollar hit a 30 year high today. It is currently sitting at $2.04 to £1.00, time to get that money sent across to the US and take advantage.

For those that have to send cash back for UK responsibilities, comiserations it wants to go the other way.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

yeah I was thinking about this too - i'm still waiting for my interview date and probably won't be moving until October but now seems like a good time to send some money over - anyone with financial know how out there who can offer some predictions on whether the rate is likely to fall or continue rising in the next few months?

Met in Wales November 2004

Got engaged Feb 2007

Sent I-129F to NSC Mar 6th 2007

Embassy interview 11th Sep 2007

Arrived in US 15th Sep 2007

Married Oct 12th 2007

Sent AOS forms Nov 13th 2007

Biometrics Dec 14th 2007

EAD/AP received Jan 22nd 2008

Green Card interview Mar 23rd 2008

For all of those VJers that are iminantly about to move across to the US, the exchange rate for the British Pound against the US Dollar hit a 30 year high today. It is currently sitting at $2.04 to £1.00, time to get that money sent across to the US and take advantage.

Shocking really. I'm just happy that when I first moved over here I had nothing but debt in the UK and not a penny to my name. Back then the exchange rate was $1.40 to a pound! Made paying off the student loans a lot easier I can tell you. I pity people who did what I did back then today.

It's difficult to say - the sub-prime worries are weakening the dollar and some are predicting it might slide further.

With regards to what the doctor said - If I had extra pounds, I'd be paying back UK debts now with them instead of trrying to do so with dollars in the future!

90day.jpg

yeah I was thinking about this too - i'm still waiting for my interview date and probably won't be moving until October but now seems like a good time to send some money over - anyone with financial know how out there who can offer some predictions on whether the rate is likely to fall or continue rising in the next few months?

In the Economist a few weeks back, they predicted it would hold fairly steady (not necessarily over $2 to the pound) through the year.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Timeline
It's difficult to say - the sub-prime worries are weakening the dollar and some are predicting it might slide further.

With regards to what the doctor said - If I had extra pounds, I'd be paying back UK debts now with them instead of trrying to do so with dollars in the future!

Its a toughie, it's not a good time to change back to pounds but what do you do wait and see or gamble that it will get worse before it gets better?????

It was steady for so long at around 1.5 - 1.7 I would think it will revert back to somewhere near that within six months but if Wall Street and the UK Stock Exchange can't predict it who am I to try :)

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The strong pound is hurting the UK more than the weak dollar is hurting us. It makes

UK firms less competitive in US markets, and devalues the value of dollar earnings

made here. I'm sure the Bank of England is going to do something about it soon.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline
The strong pound is hurting the UK more than the weak dollar is hurting us. It makes

UK firms less competitive in US markets, and devalues the value of dollar earnings

I agree that it is making it unattractive to deal in Dollars for UK companies, but that is a double edge sword. Although UK companies are forced to work at $2+ to the pound, rest assured they will not adjust their prices when it does drop. So taking a slightly longer view they stand to profit or recoup some of their reduced margins, when it does drop.

I dont agree however on the BoE bit, I think the BoE are more concerned with getting our own inflation down to 2% than the exchange rate. I would think that if the BoE are doing anything right now, it will be buying as much greenback as it can. As I said a good time to buy dollars.

Filed: Timeline

That quarter point interest rate rise they've been talking about before the end of the year won't help. :whistle:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Timeline

That quarter point interest rate rise they've been talking about before the end of the year won't help. :whistle:

It happened last week....... again! Apparently there are now 500,000 people defaulting on their mortgage payments.

My fiance has been saving up quite a bit of money for his move over here. I'm hoping it stays at that exchange rate for his sake! Though I am not very much looking forward to watching my money disappear when I go over for his interview!

Neal (UK) and Cari (USA)

N-400

01-30-2013 Sent N-400 to Dallas Lockbox
02-04-2013 Package marked as "Delivered"
02-07-2013 Check cashed
02-08-2013 NOA
02-21-2013 Biometrics
02-25-2013 Inline for Interview

04-08-2013 Interview

05-31-2013 Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.