Marriednow

MENA RELATIONSHIPS

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Just wondered, what prejudices have you experienced (or not) from family, friends, or the public, regarding:

Age Differences?

Race Differences?

Cultural Differences?

Religious Differences?

In the USA or in your SO's country?

Thanks, just interested in how you handle these things. Debbie (and Hamid)

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

there are quite a few posts on this topic in this forum if you do a little search, but, i've had no problems really expect from some immediate family members who think i'm absolutely nuts! i'm sure they will change their minds after meeting my fiance, and seeing him here, adjusting well, etc. but for now, i understand some of their concerns (but not all) about our relationship. their concerns are mostly about our religious differences than anything else....and the fact that he has never been to the US and worries about how he'll adjust here, job accessability, etc.

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
there are quite a few posts on this topic in this forum if you do a little search, but, i've had no problems really expect from some immediate family members who think i'm absolutely nuts! i'm sure they will change their minds after meeting my fiance, and seeing him here, adjusting well, etc. but for now, i understand some of their concerns (but not all) about our relationship. their concerns are mostly about our religious differences than anything else....and the fact that he has never been to the US and worries about how he'll adjust here, job accessability, etc.

Yes, I got a letter from my brother today. I had asked him to write a letter of support for Hamid and me---for Hamid to take to his interview. He wrote me a one page letter telling me why he couldn't do that in good faith. Which I understand, but it is sad. He mentioned age difference, education differences, my divorces, race differences, my small town. All of this makes me start doubting, but then I think, naw, I wanna have some fun!!! lol Hamid has never been here either and will probably make lousy money. Then I worry about the younger women chasing him. So it becomes a vicious cycle. But I get back on here and try to get my sanity back. Thanks for the support. Debbie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yes, I got a letter from my brother today. I had asked him to write a letter of support for Hamid and me---for Hamid to take to his interview. He wrote me a one page letter telling me why he couldn't do that in good faith. Which I understand, but it is sad. He mentioned age difference, education differences, my divorces, race differences, my small town. All of this makes me start doubting, but then I think, naw, I wanna have some fun!!! lol Hamid has never been here either and will probably make lousy money. Then I worry about the younger women chasing him. So it becomes a vicious cycle. But I get back on here and try to get my sanity back. Thanks for the support. Debbie

I've had relatively very few problems with family as to my relationship with my husband. Most of the negativity came from co workers who thought I was crazy for going to Morocco in the first place. Most of it had to do with the fact that he's Muslim. Our age difference has never even come up. I am 7 years older than he is so it's not a huge difference anyway.

Now that I've been there on several occassions and lived, my co workers are more accepting. Many have spoken with him on the phone and say he sounds like a real sweetheart, which he is. There are still a few friends that have reservations about all of this but they don't make comments anymore. They don't ask about him or how immigration is coming along and that's fine with me. It's my life and I made the right choice.

Yes, there are differences in our cultures and races but we, as a couple embrace those differences. They make life a little more interesting. It may make things a little more difficult too but we'll get past them.

Filed: Timeline

Dgintenn, I'm not picking on you here but this statement reminded me of a conversation I had with a gf of mine recently. I have a friend who is married to an Egyptian (not from VJ). She mentioned once that she was afraid the young girls in her town would be after him and he wouldn't be able to resist. This causes her a lot of grief. She and her husband are about the same age (she's my age). I have noticed several comments on this forum about this very thing....my SO is so handsome the younger women will be after him, etc. My question is, how can one be with a man who they're always afraid will run off with someone younger? Doesn't that cause too much stress? Sure men of any age/race/ethnicity could potentially run off with a younger or older woman. But it this idea it bothersome because of the particular person you're with, how do you handle it? Again, not speaking specifically to Debbie, I'm speaking to those who have this "insecure" feeling that the young girls will be after their man. Not trying to stir up anything either. Please don't take it this way. Just curious.

Then I worry about the younger women chasing him. So it becomes a vicious cycle. But I get back on here and try to get my sanity back. Thanks for the support. Debbie

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

The only prejudice I've experienced is from my own family and really it's just a couple of people in my family. The rest of my friends, co-workers and other family members have gotten to know Hicham and care about him very much. The couple of my family members are just caught up on the whole Muslim thing. They come from a deep Southern Baptist teaching that believes Islam is of the devil. The other family member is glued to the TV all the time and believes that all Arabs are terrorist. Even though Hicham has helped me care for this family member when she was ill, she still has to call me everytime there is anything to do with a terrorist bombing anywhere in the world. :(

I have never experienced ANY prejudice from Hicham's family or from my visits to Morocco. They have been wonderful to love me as the person that I am and not where I come from.

I am adamant that I will teach my son to respect people for WHO they are and not for the color of their skin or how they pray!

MoFlair.jpgbadsign.jpgfaris.jpgpassport.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Dgintenn, I'm not picking on you here but this statement reminded me of a conversation I had with a gf of mine recently. I have a friend who is married to an Egyptian (not from VJ). She mentioned once that she was afraid the young girls in her town would be after him and he wouldn't be able to resist. This causes her a lot of grief. She and her husband are about the same age (she's my age). I have noticed several comments on this forum about this very thing....my SO is so handsome the younger women will be after him, etc. My question is, how can one be with a man who they're always afraid will run off with someone younger? Doesn't that cause too much stress? Sure men of any age/race/ethnicity could potentially run off with a younger or older woman. But it this idea it bothersome because of the particular person you're with, how do you handle it? Again, not speaking specifically to Debbie, I'm speaking to those who have this "insecure" feeling that the young girls will be after their man. Not trying to stir up anything either. Please don't take it this way. Just curious.
Then I worry about the younger women chasing him. So it becomes a vicious cycle. But I get back on here and try to get my sanity back. Thanks for the support. Debbie

I see no reason to be with someone if you have to watch and look over your shoulder, Debbie if you think that could happen here, my question would be what do you think is going on back there when your not around.....

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Well the only prejudice I get is from my family. I cannot even tell my parents I'm going next week to see him 'cause they'd totally freak and I don't want the migraine.

I talked to my sister and she said their big worry is when he gets here. They're actually praying everyday that he gets denied!!!

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Luckily I haven't had too much from my family, except my mother is constantly trying to get me to eat pork (I was never a big fan in the past- aside from pepperoni). One time, when I said I didn't want pork, she blurted, "you're not converting, are you?" And she mentioned that my dad said he worried I was converting. So the main issue has been religion. But I'm lucky to work in a school with a teaching staff of about 50% muslims, so I have that support there. It helps.

Edited to add: But who knows what they say behind my back? If they have any, they wouldn't tell me, because they know it would just push me away.

Edited by sonicliz

timeline doesn't matter.

Just wondered, what prejudices have you experienced (or not) from family, friends, or the public, regarding:

Age Differences? We have a very small age difference. Most ppl don't even know we have an age difference since we appear to be the same age so no problems there.

Race Differences? I live in an area that is quite diverse. Ppl are used to seeing mixed race couples here. No problems with this one.

Cultural Differences? I've only been married to Mid Eastern men (twice) so everyone who knows me is used to me being married to a man from that region. My parents didn't like my ex and I know it's because they thought all Mid Easterners are "bad". Now that they've met Moh they really like him. He's not the boogy man Arab that everyone imagines. Surprisingly, most ppl don't realize that Egypt is an "Arab" country. They're always asking Moh, what language do you speak? So far no issues with this one either.

Religious Differences? I'm Muslim and have been for 14 yrs. I don't wear it on my sleeve but everyone I know is aware of this fact. My children are Muslim. Everyone in our lives is used to this. My parents aren't exactly thrilled about this but because I'm not strict about it they can pretend it's not there. As far as the public goes...just by looking at Moh and I you wouldn't know we were Muslim. We were at my parent's house for the 4th of July and one of my old neighbors was there. She's a fundie Christian. She started talking to my husband about Egypt because she had gone there several years ago for a holy land tour. She started talking to him about Jesus and he told her he was Muslim. They had a nice civil conversation about religion and Moh taught her a lot about Islam that she never knew about before. He opened her eyes to the fact that Muslims aren't as evil as the media likes to make them. She got a little aggressive about the Jesus saves stuff but her son told her to lay off then he apologized to Moh for his mother.

In the USA or in your SO's country? No probs at all in Egypt regarding any of the stuff mentioned.

Thanks, just interested in how you handle these things. Debbie (and Hamid)

Edited by moody

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Well the only prejudice I get is from my family. I cannot even tell my parents I'm going next week to see him 'cause they'd totally freak and I don't want the migraine.

I talked to my sister and she said their big worry is when he gets here. They're actually praying everyday that he gets denied!!!

OMG, that is awful. I hate that for you. :(

MoFlair.jpgbadsign.jpgfaris.jpgpassport.jpg

I know how you're feeling. I had a year that I didn't speak to my parents because of their behavior after I married Moh. I didn't want them in my life during the visa process. I was having a rough enough time without them adding their negativity. Now they like him but I'm still leary. I didn't tell them about my sons going to Yemen with their dad for the 3 weeks. I don't need to hear my mother's ####### about how it's unsafe there blah, blah, blah. As if I don't worry about them enough myself.

Timeline

OMG, that is awful. I hate that for you. :(

They're weird to begin with though. Not like they're normal parents that suddenly turned on me. They've always been very bigotted.

I have pondered telling them about the trip though 'cause God forbid what if something does happen....then my last words would have been a total lie to them. Everytime I try though somelike like a terrorist incident happens and I think better of it.

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Timeline

granted its not good to Lie... BUT sometimes its not worth the extra stress, worry, freakouts..

I didnt tell my mom.. cause I know she wouldnt sleep.. and freak out the WHOLE time.. So when I came BACK i told her..

She knew something was up.. and she actually thanked me that I didnt tell her.. cause she would of been a wreck the whole time..

BUT now.. everytime I take a trip (say.. driving to NJ) she'll be like "Oh what country are we flying off too now?"

06.14.2006 - Got Married in Alexandria, Egypt :) :) :)

05.23.2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!! inshallah.......

*** Interview is a SUCCESS !!!! *** now for a speedy AP!! inshallah...

06.18.2007 - Starting to Freak Out over this AP #######

06.27.2007 - Visa In Hand.. Alhamdulillah!

07.13.2007 - Husband arrives in the US!!! alhamdulillah ..yup.. thats right Friday the 13th!!

07.24.2007 - Mailed in AOS & EAD together to Chicago

It doesn't matter what you say

I just can't stay here every yesterday

Like keep on acting out the same

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

And make-believe we never needed

Any more than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cf6k4yJyv0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6lHwWwO3w

Timeline
granted its not good to Lie... BUT sometimes its not worth the extra stress, worry, freakouts..

I didnt tell my mom.. cause I know she wouldnt sleep.. and freak out the WHOLE time.. So when I came BACK i told her..

She knew something was up.. and she actually thanked me that I didnt tell her.. cause she would of been a wreck the whole time..

BUT now.. everytime I take a trip (say.. driving to NJ) she'll be like "Oh what country are we flying off too now?"

:lol::lol:

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.