Justdazed

Missing Canada

45 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Wow, of all the days for me to come back to VJ (have been playing hooky lately) and to read your post. I am so glad I saw this!!! Nice to know we're not alone. I am the USC, but am really wishing right now that I was the one to make the move to Canada. Who knows what we will do in the future. Hubby wants to stay in the States for a few years at least since we have done all this immigration stuff. We live in NH and am relatively close to my family in CT, which is a plus. After adding hubby to my healthcare and having to pay an extra $433/month, am REALLY wishing we were in Canada.

$433/ month for hubby!! HOLY FLIP!!!! :(

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
Wow, of all the days for me to come back to VJ (have been playing hooky lately) and to read your post. I am so glad I saw this!!! Nice to know we're not alone. I am the USC, but am really wishing right now that I was the one to make the move to Canada. Who knows what we will do in the future. Hubby wants to stay in the States for a few years at least since we have done all this immigration stuff. We live in NH and am relatively close to my family in CT, which is a plus. After adding hubby to my healthcare and having to pay an extra $433/month, am REALLY wishing we were in Canada.

OH MAN don't get me started on the health care here. I started working in January 2007 and started receiving benefits blah blah blah etc. Well, naturally I went to the doctor when I wasn't feeling good and they ran tests and everything was fine.... until I got the BILL!

My health insurance is pretty good, $10 co-pay and a lot is covered... or at least it should have been. When everything was said and done my husband and I received bills totaling over $1000 for my doctor visits because when I moved down I had neglected to send in my PREVIOUS health care information stating I had prior coverage. APPARENTLY if you do not prove that you had previous health insurance for a specific amount of time the health insurance place will code it as a "pre-existing" condition and therefore you are responsible for paying out of pocket. WHATEVER... yes ladies in the end my yeast infection (sorry TMI) was a pre-existing condition that I had to pay out of pocket for *snort*

To make things even better my health insurance provider while they acknowledged they had my paperwork immediately after I submitted it, did not process it until 4 months after the fact and the clinic was threatening collection!

Anyways that's my story, I apologize if this was common knowledge and some of you are like "duh", I guess we were spoiled with our previous health care.

Edited by Megz

Officially a citizen. My journey took 6 years, 6 months, and 29 days

ruler1.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I just dread the thought of doing the immigration process for my husband to move to Canada when the time comes!!!! Anybody know if it's really complicated????

We've done the Canadian immigration process for my Husband, compared to this it's a cakewalk :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I miss my two adult sons (24 and 26) that still live in Canada soooooooooooo much, and I am missing them more every single day that I am here. Thankfully, my daughter (19) lives here with us and is attending college.

The thought of missing out on being part of my grandchildren's lives (when the time comes) makes me want to cry.

That's the only part I'm worried about. I have a 23yr old son and a 19yr old daughter, but who's going away to University this fall, so she's not coming with me. I know I'm going to miss them so much :crying:

Edited by Tinker

2006/11/29 : I-129F Sent

2006/12/12: I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2007/02/22: I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2007/03/06: Package Left From NVC

2007/03/21: Rec Instructions (Pkt 3)

2007/03/27: Pkt 3 sent to Montreal Consulate

2007/03/28: Pkt 3 rec. @ Montreal Consulate

2007/04/12: Entered into system

2007/04/19: Medical

2007/07/25: Phone call, interview Aug/Sept. Email, at least 6 months for interview

2007/08/01: Phone call, 5-7 months

2007/08/08: Phone call. INTERVIEW

2007/08/16: Interview letter arrives.

2007/09/03: My baby girl leaves for Trent University

2007/09/12: Interview@8:15 APPROVED

2007/09/19: Visa received in hand

2007/10/08: POE Sarnia/Port Huron

2007/10/09: Home

I am still in the process of deciding if I miss Canada or not.

I didnt like my life back then, I didnt like the city life, I am not that close to my family other than my mom. Honestly the thing I miss the most is my job because I havent started working here yet and I am scared of where I will end up..

My husband's family is in Michigan, and we drive 3 hours every few weeks to go see them. I've seen a sunset on lake Michigan and the houses are really cheap and really nice, and there is also a lot of barns and horses (a passion I have never realised so far because I was living in the city). And on top of that the lab where I used to worked know a big place that could hire me in a second and its about 40 min away from where his parents live.

My husband as been living in Illinois for 13 years because of college, and then ex wife and kids. So we are currently living here in Illinois because of the kids. He has a really good job but even if he would go down in salary (if we moved and he didnt have the kids) it would change much because it would be the same as his salary now - child support. And my husband as been dying to move back in Michigain for years.

So anyways. I think I miss more Michigan than I miss Canada...... :wacko:

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

I haven't quite moved yet, but I know my fiance and I are already talking about moving to Canada. He wants better health care for us, and he knows that I'm extremely attached to Vancouver (for the food, the weather, etc). The only reason why I'm moving down there is for the change of pace and for his family, whom he's extremely close to.

He also wants to become a Canadian citizen someday, so we've been kinda poking around at sites to see how hard it's going to be. The regulations have almost put him off doing it altogether, but he's still considering it because he's not very happy at what's going on in the States right now in terms of health care and his current president.

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Timeline
I haven't quite moved yet, but I know my fiance and I are already talking about moving to Canada. He wants better health care for us, and he knows that I'm extremely attached to Vancouver (for the food, the weather, etc). The only reason why I'm moving down there is for the change of pace and for his family, whom he's extremely close to.

He also wants to become a Canadian citizen someday, so we've been kinda poking around at sites to see how hard it's going to be. The regulations have almost put him off doing it altogether, but he's still considering it because he's not very happy at what's going on in the States right now in terms of health care and his current president.

A good solution will be for you to complete your process to the US, get your green card and eventually apply for your citizenship. Then, you can sponsor him to Canada as your spouse, return to Canada and you then have the option to live in either the US or Canada without worrying about immigration battles. The Canadian immigration process is a lot easier - for one, spouses do not have to meet a minimum financial requirement for sponsorship!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

................ I had neglected to send in my PREVIOUS health care information stating I had prior coverage. APPARENTLY if you do not prove that you had previous health insurance for a specific amount of time the health insurance place will code it as a "pre-existing" condition and therefore you are responsible for paying out of pocket. ...

Wait, what exactly do you have to provide to the insurance company? Your medical record or your previous policy when you move to the US?

Edited by liz_legend 'n Ol
vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

A good solution will be for you to complete your process to the US, get your green card and eventually apply for your citizenship. Then, you can sponsor him to Canada as your spouse, return to Canada and you then have the option to live in either the US or Canada without worrying about immigration battles. The Canadian immigration process is a lot easier - for one, spouses do not have to meet a minimum financial requirement for sponsorship!

I figure that will be what we do. Although, unfortunately, it wouldn't be so easy of a case if after moving back to Canada, to move back to the States, for my future step-daughter, would it? There's no such thing as a K4 without a K3, is there?

Adjustment of Status / EAD / AP
Day 000: 2007-12-27 Mailed Application
Day 002: 2007-12-29 Received at Chicago Lockbox
Day 003: 2007-12-30 "Received Date"
Day 007: 2008-01-03 All 5 NOAs (K1 + K2 AOS, K1 EAD, K1 + K2 AP)
Day 008: 2008-01-04 K-2 AOS Touched
Day 011: 2008-01-07 $1610 Check cleared
Day 011: 2008-01-07 All 5 physical NOAs received
Day 012: 2008-01-08 K-1 files Touched, but not K-2
Day 014: 2008-01-10 K-2 AP Touched
Day 016: 2008-01-12 Biometrics Appt. Letter Received
Day 029: 2008-01-25 Biometrics Appt.
Day 043: 2008-02-08 K-2 Notice of interview received
Day 044: 2008-02-09 K-1 Notice of interview received
Day 056: 2008-02-21 APs approved and EAD card production ordered
Day 126: 2008-05-01 Interviews
-----------------------------------------------------------
K1/K2 Application
Day 000: 2007-03-16 Sent out I-129F Package
Day 012: 2007-03-28 NOA1
Day 082: 2007-06-06 NOA2
Day 103: 2007-06-27 NVC Received
Day 105: 2007-06-29 NVC Forwarded to Montreal
Day 117: 2007-07-11 Montreal Sends Packet 3
Day 125: 2007-07-19 Receive Packet 3
Day 129: 2007-07-23 Send Checklist and Forms Back
Day 131: 2007-07-25 Montreal Receives Packet 3
Day 137: 2007-07-31 Medical
Day 169: 2007-09-01 "Wedding" (aka the $10K party)
Day 192: 2007-09-24 Receive "Packet 4" (Interview letter)
Day 238: 2007-11-09 Interview in Montreal
Day 245: 2007-11-16 Visas Received
Day 248: 2007-11-19 Moved to USA
Day 249: 2007-11-20 Legal wedding

Timeline
................ I had neglected to send in my PREVIOUS health care information stating I had prior coverage. APPARENTLY if you do not prove that you had previous health insurance for a specific amount of time the health insurance place will code it as a "pre-existing" condition and therefore you are responsible for paying out of pocket. ...

Wait, what exactly do you have to provide to the insurance company? Your medical record or your previous policy when you move to the US?

For me I had to submit my Carecard (from BC), BlueCross card (Canadian Health Care provider) and a statement showing that I had prior coverage (with dates) in Canada up until the point I moved to the US. I'm not sure if this a universal thing but it's a major pain in the butt.

I figure that will be what we do. Although, unfortunately, it wouldn't be so easy of a case if after moving back to Canada, to move back to the States, for my future step-daughter, would it? There's no such thing as a K4 without a K3, is there?

You can sponsor family members as well :)

Officially a citizen. My journey took 6 years, 6 months, and 29 days

ruler1.jpg

Timeline

Re: Insurance. My husband had to submit photocopies of my Ontario health card and my previous Sun Life coverage through my old job as well to prove I had health insurance before too. He says it's called "creditable coverage" so that nothing can be considered a pre-existing condition if it's discovered later. Something like that. I sort of blank out when he talks about health insurance. :P

Edited by misa

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

i'll miss my homeland for sure but i doubt it will makes me urge to move back... i already live away from my mom and my brother... my dad passed away close of 6 years ago, i'm not close of the rest of my family and i have no kids...

i know for sure i'll work in the same field than i do here ( woodworking / carpentry ) it's one of my hobbies...

so for me it's an opportunity to start a new life with the most precious person of this world, my fiancee

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I miss my two adult sons (24 and 26) that still live in Canada soooooooooooo much, and I am missing them more every single day that I am here. Thankfully, my daughter (19) lives here with us and is attending college.

The thought of missing out on being part of my grandchildren's lives (when the time comes) makes me want to cry.

That's the only part I'm worried about. I have a 23yr old son and a 19yr old daughter, but who's going away to University this fall, so she's not coming with me. I know I'm going to miss them so much :crying:

I'm having a really hard time....... been here in the US since March.... I have 3 grown daughters all married..... 24, 28 & 30 and 4 grandkids....... if I would of known it would be this hard for me I would never have come........ I was a single mom for almost 20 years, my kids were my world and now my world is gone..... I hate it....... I don't get through one day without tears...... everyone on VJ says it gets better after a while......I find it gets worse every day! :crying:

Feb 17/06 - I-129F Petition sent

Mar 1/06 - I-129F NOA1

May 12/06 - I-129F NOA2

June 7/06 - Packet 3 rec'd

Sept 6/06 - Packet 3 sent

Sept 15/06 - Rec'd letter with interview date

Sept 28/06 - Interview in Vancouver,BC and Visa in hand!

March 13/07 - US Entry

March 15/07 - WEDDING DAY

March 21/07 - AOS application & Interview through DORA Day 1

April 13/07 - Rec'd letter with Bio Appt. date Day 24

April 27/07 - Biometrics Appointment "touched" Day 38

April 30/07 - "Touched" Day 40

June 8/07 - Day 79...still waiting, haven't been touched or heard anything.

June 13/07 - Day 84..... I'm not having much faith in this DORA process..... closing in on the 90 day time frame real fast.....

June 19/07 - Day 90 ......nothing (Hubby calls Senator's Office)

June 20/07 - Day 91 - Got the "70 Day Letter" in the mail today :-(

June 22/07 - Mailed out EAD and AP by Priority Post Day 93

June 24/07 - EAD rec'd at Chicago Lockbox

June 29/07 - Day 100 - Infopass appt in OKC..... AOS stuck in name check

July 3/07 - Day 104 - Rec'd NOA for EAD

July 6/07 - Day 107 - Rec'd letter for EAD Bio Appt. for July 18th

July 18/07 -Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

For me I had to submit my Carecard (from BC), BlueCross card (Canadian Health Care provider) and a statement showing that I had prior coverage (with dates) in Canada up until the point I moved to the US. I'm not sure if this a universal thing but it's a major pain in the butt.

I was only required to submit my SSN. Methinks it depends on the provider what things you have to submit.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline
[

I'm having a really hard time....... been here in the US since March.... I have 3 grown daughters all married..... 24, 28 & 30 and 4 grandkids....... if I would of known it would be this hard for me I would never have come........ I was a single mom for almost 20 years, my kids were my world and now my world is gone..... I hate it....... I don't get through one day without tears...... everyone on VJ says it gets better after a while......I find it gets worse every day! :crying:

Aw WOMAN your going to make me cry already!!

My son has wandered off on his own, he's a butthead right now anyway :angry: and my daughter is going to be starting a new life too :dance: .....cept he's not always going to be a butthead, and she won't be able to run home to mommy :crying: They've made sure I have this new computer and made sure I have a digital camera like they do, so hopefully.... :) My daughter is planning on coming to see me on school holidays, like she would if I were here.

Susan, I wish I could tell you it really will get better, but here's hoping, and here's hoping that when I get down there you or someone will tell me the same :blush:

2006/11/29 : I-129F Sent

2006/12/12: I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2007/02/22: I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2007/03/06: Package Left From NVC

2007/03/21: Rec Instructions (Pkt 3)

2007/03/27: Pkt 3 sent to Montreal Consulate

2007/03/28: Pkt 3 rec. @ Montreal Consulate

2007/04/12: Entered into system

2007/04/19: Medical

2007/07/25: Phone call, interview Aug/Sept. Email, at least 6 months for interview

2007/08/01: Phone call, 5-7 months

2007/08/08: Phone call. INTERVIEW

2007/08/16: Interview letter arrives.

2007/09/03: My baby girl leaves for Trent University

2007/09/12: Interview@8:15 APPROVED

2007/09/19: Visa received in hand

2007/10/08: POE Sarnia/Port Huron

2007/10/09: Home

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.