SH-K

Questions about I-130 online for Parent

16 posts in this topic

I am about to file an I-130 for my mother. As I am filling the online form, I wanted to ask a couple of question for clarity.

1: I plan to file a petition for my brother and sister as well in about 2 months (they are preparing some documents). The form for my mom asks me if I am also filling someone else's case. Should I say yes or no? I am not exactly sure when I will file for my brother and sister so not sure how to answer this question

2: Native Language: The form asks for a "document". Should I just write on a piece of paper or should I submit an ID document from the country which has her name and address in native language.

3: Also, they asked me to submit my naturalization certificate and my birth certificate with my mom's name on it. I have attached those forms. Then on the next page it asks for secondary documents. Do I need to submit any if I am providing my naturalization certificate and birth certificate?

4: The form did not ask for any pictures or any other documents (other than the secondary documents I mention above) like her passport copy or her birth certificate or picture. Is this normal?

Thank you,

1. No. It’s not relevant until you file for someone else (or would be submitting at the same time)
2. ?

3. Secondary evidence only needed if you don’t have the required documents

4. Yes, this is normal. Further documents only required at NVC and interview stages. 

24 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

1. No. It’s not relevant until you file for someone else (or would be submitting at the same time)
2. ?

3. Secondary evidence only needed if you don’t have the required documents

4. Yes, this is normal. Further documents only required at NVC and interview stages. 

thank you for your help, I just submitted and removed the brother and sister's name. I noticed that No. 2 is a question on the I-130 form as well. If the beneficiary belongs to a country with a native language other than English. So I wrote scanned and uploaded a PDF with her name and address in Pakistan.

1 hour ago, SH-K said:

I plan to file a petition for my brother and sister as well in about 2 months (they are preparing some documents).

You do realize this will take around 15 years?

1 hour ago, SH-K said:

1: I plan to file a petition for my brother and sister as well in about 2 months (they are preparing some documents

Curious, what documents? As with your mom, not much is needed for filing, especially if your birth certificates all show the same mother. It’s a little more complicated for half siblings by the same father.

20 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Curious, what documents? As with your mom, not much is needed for filing, especially if your birth certificates all show the same mother. It’s a little more complicated for half siblings by the same father.

They are getting their passports and birth certificates. Neither is automatic in Pakistan.

One more question, when I filed for my mom, I did not enter my Alien number as I am a recently naturalized citizen. I used the online account I used to file for my own naturalization to file her I-130. However, when I looked at the receipt notice, it picked up my Alien # from the account. Is this a problem or are they going to be able to figure out that I am a citizen. I did provide my naturalization certificate number so not sure why they would have my Alien number on the receipt notice...

20 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

You do realize this will take around 15 years?

yes, I understand that. Still figured that if I wait until my mom arrives in say 2 years, and become a citizen, it would still take them 10+ years. So overall, it would be a wash.So i plan to file for them as brother/sister myself... Now there are two younger brothers, one that would be over 21 and the other that would be under 21 when my mom is anticipated to arrive in 2 years, for whom my mom would file as a green card holder. 

Edited by SH-K

22 minutes ago, SH-K said:

They are getting their passports and birth certificates. Neither is automatic in Pakistan.

One more question, when I filed for my mom, I did not enter my Alien number as I am a recently naturalized citizen. I used the online account I used to file for my own naturalization to file her I-130. However, when I looked at the receipt notice, it picked up my Alien # from the account. Is this a problem or are they going to be able to figure out that I am a citizen. I did provide my naturalization certificate number so not sure why they would have my Alien number on the receipt notice...

Not sure why you think it’s a problem having your A number? Of course they know you’re a citizen, you provide proof of that for the petition, and your A number is on your naturalization certificate too. 

They don’t need their passports for your petition for them - any passport they get now will be long expired by the time they get their visas anyway - but yes they need the birth certificates. Seeing as these have obviously been issued more than a year after birth, expect RFEs of some sort for other evidence to prove the sibling relationship (though those RFEs may take years to get to you too seeing how long the sibling process is).

1 minute ago, SusieQQQ said:

Not sure why you think it’s a problem having your A number? Of course they know you’re a citizen, you provide proof of that for the petition, and your A number is on your naturalization certificate too. 

They don’t need their passports for your petition for them - any passport they get now will be long expired by the time they get their visas anyway - but yes they need the birth certificates. Seeing as these have obviously been issued more than a year after birth, expect RFEs of some sort for other evidence to prove the sibling relationship (though those RFEs may take years to get to you too seeing how long the sibling process is).

thank you again. good point about the passports. So i will tell them to focus on getting the birth certificates ready.  

I did not think the Alien # number would still be valid/relevant given I am a Citizen now but as long as it does not become an issue, i am fine :).

The receipt number says IOE...Are they going to assign me a service center in the near future or its going to remain IOE for the duration of the I-130 process? 

You may not think the A number relevant but uscis still asks for it on forms even where it is clear the subject is already a citizen (for example the question on the n400 form about whether a parent of the applicant is a USC.) 🤷‍♀️ 

There will be a service center listed on the receipt notice.

Edited by SusieQQQ

12 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

You may not think the A number relevant but uscis still asks for it on forms even where it is clear the subject is already a citizen (for example the question on the n400 form about whether a parent of the applicant is a USC.) 🤷‍♀️ 

Is there no service center listed on the receipt notice?

Yeah Weird that they still care for it but oh well...

The receipt number starts with an IOE which is ELIS...I don't see anywhere on the receipt notice I downloaded under documents what the service center is. The address in the bottom of the letter says it comes from National Benefits Center but not sure if that is the service center. If yes, there are no timelines for it on the USCIS webpage that gives timelines for processing...

Edited by SH-K

2 hours ago, SH-K said:

Yeah Weird that they still care for it but oh well...

The receipt number starts with an IOE which is ELIS...I don't see anywhere on the receipt notice I downloaded under documents what the service center is. The address in the bottom of the letter says it comes from National Benefits Center but not sure if that is the service center. If yes, there are no timelines for it on the USCIS webpage that gives timelines for processing...

Eventually it will be sent to one of the service centers.  Processing times are irrelevant for sibling visas, because the petitions will be approved long before a visa is available.

34 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Eventually it will be sent to one of the service centers.  Processing times are irrelevant for sibling visas, because the petitions will be approved long before a visa is available.

This one is a parent i130 so processing time is pretty important…

Just now, SusieQQQ said:

This one is a parent i130 so processing time is pretty important…

I was referring to the brother and sister OP wants to petition for.

21 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

I was referring to the brother and sister OP wants to petition for.

You had appeared to respond to the comment about the receipt notice for the filed i130 for the parent.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.