mrivet

Mistake on birth certificate-- RFE due

3 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi, I am the petitioner for my Canadian husband that came over on a K1 visa. We got married and filed for the AOS. We received an RFE for a long form birth certificate (which he had no idea was even a thing). We ordered one, and long story short, his dad's birth year on my husband's long form birth certificate was incorrect (his mother put the year my husband was born as his father's birth year). We applied for a correction for his long form birth certificate, but due to all sorts of issues (we LITERALLY have the worst luck 😓) the correction STILL is pending and we had run out of time to submit the RFE (including the extension due to COVID). We ended up submitting back the RFE with the long form birth certificate containing the error, along with a letter pointing it out, and copies of all the submitted paperwork to get his father's birth year corrected. My question is if anyone has ever experienced something similar? Did the AOS get denied and you have to refile? Or could they possibly still accept it as long as we have the correct form on hand at the time of the interview? I'm absolutely devastated that this has happened and the prospect that we will probably have to start the AOS all over again and endure another 8+ months of being the only one working.  😭

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hilarious about these Canadian long-form birth certificates. I had no idea it was a thing until I went through the K1 process myself, so it must be a Canadian thing! When I finally did get the long-form, it came on a very tiny piece of paper, and I still had it rejected by the embassy because they didn't believe it was the long version. I was able to prove it to them by submitting my short version. 

I think benign issues like the one you point out are not too bad. A real human will read the documentation and know that your mother wasn't married and having a child with a husband who was an infant himself. I don't have any direct experience because I had a correction on a birth certificate that was done in the pre-covid days. It took no time at all to process and ultimately I was able to hit all of my timelines.

Funny enough, because of my birth certificate corrections, the US decided that my first and middle name were both my "first name", and this is now how I am addressed by Social Security here. Nobody could change it because "that's how it was processed". These frustrations seem to resolve themselves in one place, and surface in another 😅

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 10/18/2021 at 4:11 AM, mrivet said:

Hi, I am the petitioner for my Canadian husband that came over on a K1 visa. We got married and filed for the AOS. We received an RFE for a long form birth certificate (which he had no idea was even a thing). We ordered one, and long story short, his dad's birth year on my husband's long form birth certificate was incorrect (his mother put the year my husband was born as his father's birth year). We applied for a correction for his long form birth certificate, but due to all sorts of issues (we LITERALLY have the worst luck 😓) the correction STILL is pending and we had run out of time to submit the RFE (including the extension due to COVID). We ended up submitting back the RFE with the long form birth certificate containing the error, along with a letter pointing it out, and copies of all the submitted paperwork to get his father's birth year corrected. My question is if anyone has ever experienced something similar? Did the AOS get denied and you have to refile? Or could they possibly still accept it as long as we have the correct form on hand at the time of the interview? I'm absolutely devastated that this has happened and the prospect that we will probably have to start the AOS all over again and endure another 8+ months of being the only one working.  😭

How did he make it through Montreal?  The long form was needed for the K1. Good luck I hope they accept it with the thought of you bringing the corrected one to the interview.

56 minutes ago, Peot said:

Hilarious about these Canadian long-form birth certificates. I had no idea it was a thing until I went through the K1 process myself, so it must be a Canadian thing! When I finally did get the long-form, it came on a very tiny piece of paper, and I still had it rejected by the embassy because they didn't believe it was the long version. I was able to prove it to them by submitting my short version. 

I think benign issues like the one you point out are not too bad. A real human will read the documentation and know that your mother wasn't married and having a child with a husband who was an infant himself. I don't have any direct experience because I had a correction on a birth certificate that was done in the pre-covid days. It took no time at all to process and ultimately I was able to hit all of my timelines.

Funny enough, because of my birth certificate corrections, the US decided that my first and middle name were both my "first name", and this is now how I am addressed by Social Security here. Nobody could change it because "that's how it was processed". These frustrations seem to resolve themselves in one place, and surface in another 😅

That is because the one you got was not the actual long form. It sounds like you got a certificate. The long form is called Record of Live Birth in Ontario. Might be something else for other Provinces. 

Its amazing how  short staff and covid has let so many things slip on through and now it seems to be biting ppl in the rear at AOS.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.