rightsided

NVC Case FE Review Note

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hello,

Some context:
I lived in Japan for the past 10 years up until August, then I moved back to the U.S. for work at the end of the month.
My wife and daughters (U.S. citizens) are still in Japan waiting on my wife's visa.

I finally got a response from NVC after submitting my documents back in June. They accepted all of my documents - a 2019 and 2020 tax returns - but asked for 2020 W2's - which I don't have since I lived in Japan the entire year and 1099 which I assume to be 1099-div. I have submitted my Japan tax return filing in lieu of this, under foreign taxes.
Aside from the tax transcript, which I may/may not be to get since they're sending it to my address in Japan. Is there anything else I should submit?

Also, I see crazy timelines for NVC reviewing resubmitted documents, anywhere from 2 weeks - 2 months+. The apartment I had in Japan will run out of its lease in November, leaving my wife and daughters having to find new housing. Can someone please clarify the timelines? I'd like to get a better idea so I can prepare.

Timeline

Do you have your gensenchoshuhyo? You could file it with a translation. (My understanding was that foreign income couldn't be claimed on the I-864 but maybe that's only when you're filing from overseas.)

It's impossible to predict what NVC will do but November seems like a push. The Tokyo embassy is scheduling appointments 1+ months out (we applied on August 14 and got an interview date of September 24). You'd need to get NVC approved ASAP and no delay in case transfer.

Timeline

I think I missed uploading one of my 1099-DIV that I had listed on my 2020 return. The W-2 through me off, so I uploaded a tax return I submitted in Japan. I'll check to see if I have a gensenchoshuhyo.... though I don't want to keep uploading documents further pushing my case back.

Thanks for your insight and congrats!

Hi! 
What did you end up doing?

we’re also in Japan and just got the review note saying to submit W-2/1099.

Our lease also is up in November! Not wanting to renew and pay the renewal fee.

we obviously don’t have W-2 because living and working in Japan. We submitted a copy of 1040 tax return only.

Edited by lalalaland

Timeline

I've submitted a copy of my Japanese tax forms... Finger crossed. I really wish I had requested my tax transcripts beforehand and submitted those instead....

• 2 months later...
Timeline

So an update:

I was able to retrieve my tax transcripts and have posted the last 3 years of transcripts + some pay stubs. I also added more information and evidence. I've read that the tax transcript is really all the NVC needs to DQ me. Fingers crossed as my case will be coming up for review next week (I hope). I wrote a note stating that I worked in Japan for over half the year and only recently relocated back to the states, and added that to my case as well. I think I've provided more evidence than necessary at this point.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2021 at 1:39 AM, rightsided said:

So an update:

I was able to retrieve my tax transcripts and have posted the last 3 years of transcripts + some pay stubs. I also added more information and evidence. I've read that the tax transcript is really all the NVC needs to DQ me. Fingers crossed as my case will be coming up for review next week (I hope). I wrote a note stating that I worked in Japan for over half the year and only recently relocated back to the states, and added that to my case as well. I think I've provided more evidence than necessary at this point.

Hi! 

Did you submit W-2 or an explanation of the absence of W-2? My understanding was that NVC is pretty adamant about having W2/1099, even when transcripts were provided especially the income were foreign. But in your case you're already in the US now with all the current income evidence. I hope all the other evidence you provided would be enough. Please update in the coming weeks.

Timeline
11 hours ago, lalalaland said:

Hi! 

Did you submit W-2 or an explanation of the absence of W-2? My understanding was that NVC is pretty adamant about having W2/1099, even when transcripts were provided especially the income were foreign. But in your case you're already in the US now with all the current income evidence. I hope all the other evidence you provided would be enough. Please update in the coming weeks.

Hi,

I don't have a W-2 so I submitted an explanation and also a copy of my foreign taxes' version of a W-2. I submitted my transcripts and some paystubs and my case was DQ'd on December 8th :).

10 hours ago, rightsided said:

Hi,

I don't have a W-2 so I submitted an explanation and also a copy of my foreign taxes' version of a W-2. I submitted my transcripts and some paystubs and my case was DQ'd on December 8th :).

I see.

what is the Japanese version of tax doc you submitted? Did you attach translation of those as well? Those seem such a stretch to do translation for. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.