Patrick_A

Today I sent E-mails to all of my Senators and Representatives

24 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Patrick...I got you beat by 12 days!!!! I guess I need something to be excited about. I have tried senators, congressman and ombudsman. They all seem useless. I really wish there was something we could all do. Keep us posted on how it goes with your editor. Good luck to you in your crazy journey. The name check just seems like such a waste of time.

Hubby - Canada Wife- USA

Came to USA on an F1 Visa

Met my wife to be August 2001 at college in Nebraska

May 29,2004 - Married!!!!!

July 1, 2004 - Filed AOS, AP, I-130 and Ead in person-Houston

July 12, 2004 - Notice date

July 29, 2004 - Bios

Nov 10, 2004 - I-485 touched

Nov 17, 2004 - I-131 approved

Nov 24, 2004 - I-765 approved

Apr 25, 2005 - status inquiry since AOS is 90 days overdue

May 2, 2005 - status inquiry letter to Houston office

May 19, 2005 - had a meeting with the ICE ( they said they didnt know I filed for AOS???)

July 7, 2005 - sent a letter to Senator, Missouri Cis, CIS Ombudsman

July 27, 2005 - letter from Ombudsman - they will start an inquiry into my case.

Sept 14, 2005 - receieved a letter from USCIS Houston that I need to contact Missouri ( from status inquiry)

Oct 6, 2005 - fingerprinting- EAD

Nov 15, 2005 - Received letter from CIS Ombudsman-I need to contact the Houston USCIS

Nov 17, 2005 - Received AP and Ead in mail

Dec 28, 2005 - fingerprinting- AOS

Feb 9, 2006 - Aos interiew- still waiting for background check

Nov 3, 2006 - Second AOS interview, still waiting for background check

Nov 3, 2006 - I-130 approved

Dec 2, 2007 - Fingerprinted again..third time for AOS

Feb 14, 2008 - Received email case approved

Feb 26, 2008 - received Green Card

Hey Patrick...I got you beat by 12 days!!!! I guess I need something to be excited about. I have tried senators, congressman and ombudsman. They all seem useless. I really wish there was something we could all do. Keep us posted on how it goes with your editor. Good luck to you in your crazy journey. The name check just seems like such a waste of time.

Patrick's or his spouse's case has been approved. The last time he posted in this thread was sometime in July...

Edited by ca-girl

2 years and 13 days from NOA to card in hand!

Hi Patrick,

We are one of the old timers as well waiting since Oct of 2005.

We have done everything. Now the Senator tells us only to contact them once every six months because the FBI has restricted their inquiries since there is such a huge backlog.

I get the same "sorry" letter from both senator, congressman and ombudsman. I think writing to the ombudsman was totally useless after sending them an entire package, all we got back was a short form letter saying what we already knew in the beginning.

Wondering if anyone has ventured with the WOM and the cost of starting that. We will be on our fourth EAD come the beginning of next year. I cringe when I think of all this $ knowing that we are just wanting to get on with our lives.

Being Patient is getting tiring when you see ones just going through, it gets to the point of upsetting. If they contacted us right from the start and gave us some timeline maximum I would even feel better.

Hi Sunnyisland,

I haven't thought about the WOM yet.

If I may ask, how was the contact you've had with the senators of your state? I'm getting impatient with the one I've contacted. This is a timetime of my contact with my senator's office:

09/25/07 - sent her office a fax asking them to do an inquiry

10/04/07 - spoke to her immigration liason because my fax had been transfered from one office to another

11/03/07 - sent my senator's office a letter asking if they've heard from the USCIS

now I'm wondering if I should just wait for a reply, call her office, or show up there in person. What has been your experience?

Thanks!

Ca-Girl...

After the initial contact with the congressman, it took an additional phone call. All together about 7 weeks to get the standard form response letter that there was nothing they could do. The senator responded within 5 weeks, still neither claims they can do anything to help. Not encouraging at all.

I contacted one of our senators (Kyl) nearly a year ago. Someone from the office got back to me right away with some clarification questions. I thought that was encouraging, especially because we live in a border state, and Kyl presents himself as one of these "tough on immigration" types. But sadly, nothing came of it. It took nearly four months for someone from his office to get back to us, which they did by phone. A spacey-sounding lady called to say that our application was "normal" and that the FBI has a huge backlog (gee, thanks!).

The media tend to report on the more compelling stories that have to do with naturalization cases. I've read about medical researchers who can't get grants, or people who have lived in the U.S. for 20 years who have been waiting five years or more for naturalization. Sadly, the green card holdups don't seem to get as much attention. Having citizenship held up would be a drag, but at least applicants don't have to renew expensive interim benefits every year.

I wish that more attention were paid to the how faulty the system is, and the questionable criteria used to hold up cases indefinitely. I suspect that a lot of Americans would be surprised and distressed to know how inefficient and ineffectual the FBI is vis-a-vis clearing background checks, and the ridiculous criteria used by USCIS that are working against its stated purposes. And that most people stuck in the quagmire are here legally, travelling internatinally, and working.

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Here's my experience. I wrote letters to Laura Bush, Michael Chertoff, Robert Muller (Director of the FBI), the Station Chief in charge of the name check process, and the department head for the FBI's record's keeping branch. After three months I eventually got a response from Mr Chertoff and it was a standard form letter, "USCIS works hard to ensure delivery of services, blah, blah, blah..." "We must ensure those applying for immigration benefits are entitled to apply for them, blah, blah, blah..." And I haven't received anything from any of the others.

The Ombudsman were not much use either. After three months of waiting they wrote to say that they were forwarding my case onto the USCIS for investigation... and I should wait 45 days for a response! Arg!!! :bonk: USCIS is the freaking problem not the solution.

My Senator has been courteous to an extent in that he always responds to my letters but it seems that he has no authority to chase the FBI and petition them to hurry up the name check.

Kelly (USC) & Jeremy (UKC)

Adjustment of Status from K-1 Visa

CIS Office : Louisville KY

Date Filed : 2006-11-28

NOA Date : 2006-12-21

Bio. Appt. : 2006-12-15

Card Received: 2008-02-12

Employment Authorization Document

CIS Office : Louisville KY

Filing Instance : First

Date Filed : 2007-09-18

Approved Date : 2007-11-08

Date Card Received : 2007-11-21

Estimates/Stats : Your EAD was approved in 51 days.

Advance Parole

CIS Office : Chicago National Office

Filing Instance : First

Date Filed : 2007-08-31

NOA Date : 2007-09-18

Date Received : 2007-11-09

Estimates/Stats : Your AP was approved in 31 days.

Here's my experience. I wrote letters to Laura Bush, Michael Chertoff, Robert Muller (Director of the FBI), the Station Chief in charge of the name check process, and the department head for the FBI's record's keeping branch. After three months I eventually got a response from Mr Chertoff and it was a standard form letter, "USCIS works hard to ensure delivery of services, blah, blah, blah..." "We must ensure those applying for immigration benefits are entitled to apply for them, blah, blah, blah..." And I haven't received anything from any of the others.

The Ombudsman were not much use either. After three months of waiting they wrote to say that they were forwarding my case onto the USCIS for investigation... and I should wait 45 days for a response! Arg!!! :bonk: USCIS is the freaking problem not the solution.

My Senator has been courteous to an extent in that he always responds to my letters but it seems that he has no authority to chase the FBI and petition them to hurry up the name check.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

2 years and 13 days from NOA to card in hand!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.