MargotDarko

Paying off UK debt while in the US

12 posts in this topic

Hello. We're currently in the middle of DCF processing for a CR1 visa. We won't be moving to the US until early next year, and when we do we'll be calling our banks about this, but was just wondering if anyone wanted to share what they've done. My husband has a bit of credit card debt here plus his student loans. Any advice on how best to set up payments once we're living in the US? He's planning to pay off his only overdraft before we move as we've heard banks tend to be weirder about overdrafts than credit card if you're leaving the country.

Edited by MargotDarko

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

When I moved back to the US from the UK, I had various bills to continue paying. I kept my UK bank account open and made payments through direct debit, standing orders or one off payments and then I usually transfered the funds directly from my US account online (I have Citibank) and sent it directly to my UK account. It only takes 3 business days (including the day of the transfer) but there is a wire fee of $30. You might want to shop around to make sure your new US bank has easy facilities to transfer money as you dont want to have to go into a branch every time you want to move some money.

Lifting Conditions

01/19/2010 - Mailed I-751 Packet

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
I paid mine off by keeping my UK bank account and transferring over money using this website:

https://www.xe.com/fx/login/

Second the above.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I too have debts in UK. I bank with Halifax in UK doing everything online from US I also use XE.com. Paypal is another option but you need to set up the English end before you leave as they need to verify the UK address. XE is easy but a pain to set up in the first instance but once done is a breeze.

LifeacrossthePond

Removing Conditions (here we go again)

July 27th I-751 sent to Nebraska

July 30th USPS delivered

Aug 22nd check cashed

Aug 23rd I797C received - case been transferred to California

Aug 29th Biometrics Appt Letter arrived

Sept 12th Biometrics Appt Pittsburgh

Sept 24th email notice of Approval - card ordered !!!!!!

Thanks for the replies. I've taken a look at xe.com - it does look a pain to set up but with these recommendations seems totally worth it. :)

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

25 May 2007 - NOA2

Thanks for the replies. I've taken a look at xe.com - it does look a pain to set up but with these recommendations seems totally worth it. :)

THe set up is the only real negative about XE - once you do that, they are fast and easy and I believe the rates are very competitive. Really good customer service too.

90day.jpg

The Student Loans Company will accept checks made out in US Dollars drawn on your US bank account. Make sure to ask them to send a receipt though, with a balance.

That's great to know. Thanks!

US Immigration Timeline

25 May 2007 - NOA2

Kinda related to this topic - has anyone had any experience of how the Student Loans Company deal with overseas payments? I'm on the cusp of calling them to say that I'm going to be leaving England (if the interview goes well this will be late August/early September).

I'm a little concerned that they're going to make unreasonable repayment demands, especially given that I'm pretty much forced into 3 months employment while AOS/work authorisation is pending. I'm guessing other people were in this situation - did the SLC really believe that you were unemployed?

1186153754421.jpg

...yeah, I wish!

Timeline:

December 06 - Filed I129F petition with California Service Center

March 07 - Received petition approval notice

April 07 - Applied for Police Certificate through West Midlands police

24 April 07 - Received Packet 3 from London Embassy

1 May 07 - Received receipt for Police Certificate

5 May 07 - Mailed DS-230 Part I, DS-156, DS-156K and DS-157 back to the Embassy

9 May 07 - London Embassy receives forms

9 May 07 - Medical at Bentinck Mansions

1 June 07 - Mailed document checklist

8 June 07 - Received Police Certificate (39 days from receipt)

15 June 07 - Touched by the Embassy

21 June 07 - Interview date confirmed as 10 August 07

22 June 07 - Received Packet 4

10 August 07 - Interview at London Embassy - APPROVED!

...wedding date is 3 September 07!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Kinda related to this topic - has anyone had any experience of how the Student Loans Company deal with overseas payments? I'm on the cusp of calling them to say that I'm going to be leaving England (if the interview goes well this will be late August/early September).

I'm a little concerned that they're going to make unreasonable repayment demands, especially given that I'm pretty much forced into 3 months employment while AOS/work authorisation is pending. I'm guessing other people were in this situation - did the SLC really believe that you were unemployed?

I was up front with them and told them that I was leaving the uk and would not be able to work straight away. They said thats ok but to let them know when i start working so that thewy can set up a repayment schedule. I believe its the same as in the uk. Ie you have to be earning a certain amount before they ask for anything.

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi, I'm wondering in your experience does it make more sense to go with xe.com or to pay checks to SLC in US $?

Do you know if SLC charges a fee and is their exchange rate reasonable?

Thank you!

Stuart

The Student Loans Company will accept checks made out in US Dollars drawn on your US bank account. Make sure to ask them to send a receipt though, with a balance.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.