dq2000

K1 or K3

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

HI! My girlfriend is Vietnamese, while I live in the US. She told me the other day, very passionalty I might add, that the US government increased the restrictions on K1 visas for Vietnamese. SHe said if could take up to 1-1.5 years (!!) for her to be able to come to the US. I'd like to know if anyone else heard of this or could help me in any way. This a great website...and I hope to learn from everyone experiences!

THANKS MUCH...CAM ON!

Filed: Timeline

That's quite truth........I myself getting close to the mark of 1 yr here

HI! My girlfriend is Vietnamese, while I live in the US. She told me the other day, very passionalty I might add, that the US government increased the restrictions on K1 visas for Vietnamese. SHe said if could take up to 1-1.5 years (!!) for her to be able to come to the US. I'd like to know if anyone else heard of this or could help me in any way. This a great website...and I hope to learn from everyone experiences!

THANKS MUCH...CAM ON!

Timeline

Hm, I hope it doesn't take that long..

Service Center : Nebraska Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-129F Sent : 2006-02-07

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-02-14

I-129F RFE(s) : None

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-04-24

NVC Received : 2006-05-09

Packet 3 Received : 2006-06-09

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-06-26

Called Cons. and was told Interview date: Sept. 26!

Packet 4 Received week later: 2006-08-16

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

In total, that is not so hard to believe, but it is not do to any increased restrictions. You've got US service center waits and the incredible HCMC consulate wait.

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Timeline
That's quite truth........I myself getting close to the mark of 1 yr here

Your timeline says you've received your NOA2 in July, but nothing else since. Your fiance should have received pack 3, if not pack 4 by now. Are you just not updating? :bonk:

Edited by Vietnam

THANKS MUCH...CAM ON!

I don't think there are restrictions on K-1s. It's just that the HCMC consulate processes a lot of visas and they are backlogged. Plus the amount of fraud is high so the consulate carefully examines every petitions. This makes the delay even longer. K-1s are running 6-12 months from filling to interview.

K-1 is still the quickest way to get into the US based on a marriage. Spousal visas take even longer.

Filed: Other Country: Taiwan
Timeline

We are already past the top end of your estimate, tomorrow will be exactly 1 year and 6 months.

The time until her interview was about 9 months and after that we are asked for additional information.. three months after that we got put into administrative review (but weren't told that until my congressman inquired instead of me) and have been waiting ever since with no projected timeframe.

Get set for a long as hell wait and be ready to test your patience. I finally got so tired of waiting that I moved here!

“I never was and never shall be what is commonly termed a popular man,” Adams concluded. “I have no powers of fascination; none of the honey…” John Quincy Adams

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

THANKS MUCH...CAM ON!

Hello DQ,

Could you please verify with your friend the following:

- 12-18 months total from the time USC applies for I-129F until arrival in the US.

OR

- 12-18 months from the day your physical files are received in HCMC to get an interview/Visa

It took them 6 months from the time i submit I-129F to the Actual Interview and visa approved. My case was a bit different because it's involved some "oversea" activity. But overall, it took us more less 6 months to get the Visa.

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

Timeline

hi ChuckandKim..

You know what? I don't know that info!! I just talked with her, and she is going to speak to a lawyer and check to see if she misunderstood. I should hear back next week...

thanks for all you answers, by the way!

Edited by dq2000

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

She needs a lawyer???? Her case must be pretty complicated, anyway... make sure we get the timeline straighten out and don't believe everything they say... check the fact yourself...

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

THANKS MUCH...CAM ON!

Hello- My fiance just passed her interview last week and it took us almost 10 months from day of receipt to interview. They were most interested in our relationship PRIOR to my visit to Viet Nam, so make sure you have plenty of strong evidence for that time frame. Although she didnt have any problems, Miss Hue said many many people failed that day, so you can assume they are very thorough.

The US government only allows so many visas per year, period ( I forget the term they use). If your case is received AFTER the last cutoff time, then you are included in the next cycle. Any way, its about a 9-12 month process at this time.

Good luck you both! :yes:

Service Center : Nebraska Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Event Date

I-129F Sent:.................2005-04-05

I-129F NOA1 :...............2005-04-11

I-129F RFE(s) :..............2005-07-13 (original signatures)

RFE Reply(s) :...............2005-07-15

I-129F NOA2 :...............2005-07-25

Visa Center Received......2006-08-09

Visa center sent.............2006-08-12

Consulate Received:.......2005-08-16 ( electronic file)

Consulate Received:.......2005-08-26 (physical file)

Consulate Sent Packet 3:.2005-10- 12

Packet 3 Received:.........2005-10-24

Packet 3 Sent:...............2005-10-26

Packet 4 Received:.........2005-12-25

Interview Date:.............2006-01-24, Hue's birthday!!!

Visa Received:.............. 2006-02-08 Miss Hue Passed!!!

US Entry:.....................2006-02-09

Marriage:.....................2006-02-16!!!

AOS filed......................2006-03-26

AOS received.................2006-03-31

AOS Notice ...................2006-04-05

Biometrics....................2006-05-02

EAD filed (online)...........2006-05-22 (Miss Hue is bored)

EAD Notice....................2006-05-22

EAD Biometrics..............2006-05-26

Comments : Yes, I would do it all over again!

Timeline
She needs a lawyer???? Her case must be pretty complicated, anyway... make sure we get the timeline straighten out and don't believe everything they say... check the fact yourself...

No..our case is actually pretty simple and basic. She just likes to be accurate and wants the best advice she can find. ;)

Thanks and I'll get this timeline figured out ASAP!

Edited by dq2000

Timeline

Sorry this may sound silly. i have been off and on in touch with a girl in VN. I am going over to visit in the next few months. If everything is real as it seem I want to propose to her. When I started talking to her I didn't keep any phone records and used calling cards becuase they seems alot cheaper. What can I expect getting into this? I am 31 and have been divorced before. I see that everyone seems to go over for month(s). I am a retail mgr and can only get limited time off. Any suggestions. I try to read all of the forums but it seems a little overwhelming. Can you use calling cards and show a cell phone bill with the 1800 access number to prove that you have been calling. And my girlfriend is having a hard time finding a computer to use in Cai Be, Tihn Tien Giang. Thanks ahead of time.

Timeline
Sorry this may sound silly. i have been off and on in touch with a girl in VN. I am going over to visit in the next few months. If everything is real as it seem I want to propose to her. When I started talking to her I didn't keep any phone records and used calling cards becuase they seems alot cheaper. What can I expect getting into this? I am 31 and have been divorced before. I see that everyone seems to go over for month(s). I am a retail mgr and can only get limited time off. Any suggestions. I try to read all of the forums but it seems a little overwhelming. Can you use calling cards and show a cell phone bill with the 1800 access number to prove that you have been calling. And my girlfriend is having a hard time finding a computer to use in Cai Be, Tihn Tien Giang. Thanks ahead of time.

Not everybody goes over for a month or more at a time. I have to believe that is the exception really. The longest I ever went over for was two weeks and the first time I was there I was only there for 5 days. For phone records you are going to need something that proves your calls were to Vietnam. If this is a problem and you cannot print E-Mails, then it is probably going to be best for you to start hand-writing letters back and forth. This is the best source of relationship proof next to pictures anyway.

Other than that, you can expect a decent wait before she comes over- as long as a year. Don't get any unreal expectations that 6 months from now she'll be here because the process is just too lengthy for that. You will have to have your ducks in a row on this- A well established relationship, proof of such, decent income on your part. Save your plane tickets and keep the credit card receipts for them - this is very important.

And-- good luck.

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Timeline

HI ALL>>>>>After checking, my girlfriend realized she most likely was misinformed. I guess the lession is be carefull of where you get information. I am sorry to everyone for the confusion but thankful and all the help.

thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.