Ron Babb

Any Recent Experiences with Manila Consular Section

6 posts in this topic

Just asking about good old Manila Consular Section.  Anybody had any recent contact or lack of contact with them?  I notice their email (ivmanilareplies@state.gov) inbox is now rejecting as:  FULL, not accepting NEW emails.  So they went to an on-line inquiry system https://ph.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/immigrant-visa-inquiry-form/ .  But, seems they don't have the available manpower or priority to answer the mail.  Or maybe just not my mail... With the new system, you have no real proof of submission.  Having the wife express courier my written letter for interview to them tomorrow.

We are IR1 and IR2.  Expedite approved 20 Dec 2020.  Interview 18 Mar 2021.  Step-son passed medical (3/4 Mar) and went to interview and got a 221(g) - "send back your passport on 2GO courier when mother is approved."  Wife failed x-ray (50% will, right...) and went to the sputum test procedure and waited the one week plus four days plus eight weeks.  Of course it was negative (over 90% are, right....) on 7 May.  SLEC said (after me asking) they uploaded results on the electronic medical system on 11 May.  Embassy showing no concern about the interview of the wife after four messages.  Too many, right...

I did not realize the step-son has no right for immigration unless the parent is approved for immigration.  Now, I am still unsure about age-out versus Child Protection Act when its in the hands of NVC/Consular Officer and not USCIS.  He turns 21 on 23 Aug 2021.  We also have a FILAM son who needs to start 12th grade in the USA on or about 11 Aug.  I will probably have him fly by himself on or about 30 Jun if this continues to be a never ending saga.

14 minutes ago, Ron Babb said:

I did not realize the step-son has no right for immigration unless the parent is approved for immigration.  Now, I am still unsure about age-out versus Child Protection Act when its in the hands of NVC/Consular Officer and not USCIS.

It's odd that USEM refused to issue your step-son's visa until his mother's case is approved.  Technically, IR2 has no dependency on any IR1.

In any case, you don't need to worry about your step-son aging out.  The age of an IR2 beneficiary is locked at the time of petition filing.  This won't change even when the case is at the embassy stage.

CSPA for Immediate Relatives -- "If you are an immediate relative, [...] your age is frozen on the date the Form I-130 or Form I-360 is filed. If you were under the age of 21 at the time the petition was filed, you are eligible for CSPA and will not age out. However, you must remain unmarried in order to qualify."

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/child-status-protection-act-cspa

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update this story.  I just noticed my wife IR-1 went from DENIED (18 Mar 2021) to REFUSED (14 May 2021).  (Not even interviewed)

At first I went into a panic.  The Denied was because she missed her interview date due to her medical requiring additional TB Sputum testing.  The Refused was one week after her final medical clearance was granted and uploaded.

After thinking a few minutes:  Perhaps our expedite case is no longer qualified for expedite and after looking at YouTube videos, the Embassies are working on Jun 2020 NVC Fully Qualified cases....now.

Since my wife was a Nov 2020 NVC FQ and we slipped ahead due to the travel ban and an expedite request; she has now been put back in the queue (wait your turn, don't ask questions).

It's that the (assumed) generic explanation provided on the DENIED coding is just a bit to the side of extremely harsh, to say the least.  We got no instructions and there was not an interview, but they dish out the following words of wisdom to make us feel wanted......??  Here it is below...

"A U.S. consular officer has adjudicated and refused your visa application. Please follow any instructions provided by the consular officer. If you were informed by the consular officer that your case was refused for administrative processing, your case will remain refused while undergoing such processing. You will receive another adjudication once such processing is complete. Please be advised that the processing time varies and that you will be contacted if additional information is needed. For more information, please visit TRAVEL.STATE.GOV or the website for the Embassy or Consulate at which you made your visa application.

For more information, please visit TRAVEL.STATE.GOV."

Edited by Ron Babb

I must also add that perhaps when the Embassy wants to update the "case status" date they must (or chose to) grab another Status type without even thinking of the harsh words that go with that status type.

10 hours ago, Ron Babb said:

We got no instructions and there was not an interview, but they dish out the following words of wisdom to make us feel wanted

That's just the generic status description for cases under administrative processing.  No need to mind it much.

Now that your wife already passed sputum testing, keep following up with the embassy for a new interview schedule.

I submitted an on-line Inquiry (https://ph.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/immigrant-visa-inquiry-form) for a Case Status Update.  The only subtle response I got was that they changed the CEAC status date (https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx) from 14 May 21 to 3 Jun 21.  I guess that's my case update - "changed the Refusal date".  I was only lucky even note this almost invisible update.  For informational purposes only.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.