LisaD1234

Where to go from here.....

7 posts in this topic

I am a Canadian citizen, my husband is american. We together have 1 common child and I have 3 children from previous marriage. 

My husband and I met in canada and have been together and lived here 10+ years. He is a PR of canada for 30 years.  Myself and our common child have filled out I130 and are at the end of our IR1 and IR2 journey with interviews within a week.  We decided about 2 years ago that we wanted to love in the USA instead of canada. 

My family situation with my previous children is where my question lies.  A lawyer wants about $400 to answer my question, so I'm hoping you all can help me for free!!

My youngest from previous marriage is 13. At the time of filing for myself she didn't want to come and her dad wouldn't give any permissions.  Situations changed over the 2 years and now she can come with us.  The i130 takes FOREVER!  Is there any other temporary way to have her join us in the usa and attend school while waiting through the process?  I really don't want to leave her behind in Canada if it can be avoided. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Sorry, no.  There are no short cuts.  Your husband will need to file an I-130 for your daughter and she will have to go through the immigration process.

Did your husband live in the US for at least 5 years (2 years after age 14) before immigrating to Canada?  If yes, then your common child is already a US citizen and will not qualify for an immigrant visa.  A US citizen child born abroad would need a CRBA and a US passport.

15 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Sorry, no.  There are no short cuts.  Your husband will need to file an I-130 for your daughter and she will have to go through the immigration process.

Did your husband live in the US for at least 5 years (2 years after age 14) before immigrating to Canada?  If yes, then your common child is already a US citizen and will not qualify for an immigrant visa.  A US citizen child born abroad would need a CRBA and a US passport.

We wanted to go the route of CRBA however he left the USA when he was 14-15.  We tried to gather all the proof that would have been needed, but it just doesn't exist.  

Can my husband petition for my daughter from my previous marriage?   I figured there would have to be some sort of legal document here such as a custody.  

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
4 minutes ago, LisaD1234 said:

We wanted to go the route of CRBA however he left the USA when he was 14-15.  We tried to gather all the proof that would have been needed, but it just doesn't exist.  

Can my husband petition for my daughter from my previous marriage?   I figured there would have to be some sort of legal document here such as a custody.  

Your husband can petition for his stepdaughter.   He doesn't need to show custody since he's the stepfather.  You will need to have custody of your daughter to get her an immigrant visa through her stepfather.

At the visa interview, you will need the father's written permission for his child to immigrate to the US.

Edited by aaron2020

*~*~*moved from “what visa do I need?” to “bringing family members of USCs”*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.