Rachel&Mommy

I864, I864A, W2 & tax transcript questions

11 posts in this topic

Hello forks,

I am filing out I864 and my husband I864a, do I need to submit our W2 if we are submitting tax transcripts from IRS website?

Also, also I didn't work 2019 and 2018 but I filed taxes for those years with my husband should I put my husband income for those two years or should I put 0?

I am petitioning my mother 

Thanks in advance 

Filed: Timeline

If you are submitting transcripts then you do not need to include a copy of the 1040/W2s/1099s. All the information is on the transcript.

You fill out the 864 and your husband does the 864a attached to it. Please read the instructions carefully as you fill it out. Where the questions direct you to answer about 'your income' or 'your tax returns' you enter your info. There is a section to enter other household members income and then you can see further in the form where it shows the grand totals of it all being added up and would direct you to include the 864a from the household member. With that said it can be helpful in some cases to send the W2s to show whose income is what on the joint tax return. It really depends on the specifics of how the numbers fall. If your income was 0 in 2018 and 2019 and you have a joint return the income on it was clearly his.

I would suggest attempting to fill out the form using the instructions and if you get stuck on any part to post here for advice or confirmation that you did it correctly. You dont have to use the actual numbers when asking questions, use round numbers or kinda close numbers for privacy (or outrageous numbers). 

38 minutes ago, Villanelle said:

If you are submitting transcripts then you do not need to include a copy of the 1040/W2s/1099s. All the information is on the transcript.

You fill out the 864 and your husband does the 864a attached to it. Please read the instructions carefully as you fill it out. Where the questions direct you to answer about 'your income' or 'your tax returns' you enter your info. There is a section to enter other household members income and then you can see further in the form where it shows the grand totals of it all being added up and would direct you to include the 864a from the household member. With that said it can be helpful in some cases to send the W2s to show whose income is what on the joint tax return. It really depends on the specifics of how the numbers fall. If your income was 0 in 2018 and 2019 and you have a joint return the income on it was clearly his.

I would suggest attempting to fill out the form using the instructions and if you get stuck on any part to post here for advice or confirmation that you did it correctly. You dont have to use the actual numbers when asking questions, use round numbers or kinda close numbers for privacy (or outrageous numbers). 

Thank you much for you reply. I already filed both form following the instructions just needed to clarify.

Now I am just frustrated I can't find a joint sponsor, my husband gross income for 2018, 2019 is around $50,000 but total income is $30,000 & $31,000 for 2020 as I worked that year (started my new job in September 2020) the gross income is $34,000 (my husband was unemployed for around 5 months due to covid) and total income $39,000 we are a household of 4 including our 2 minor kids + my mother the intending immigrant it accounts for a household of 5, poverty guidelines for 2021 is $38,800 for a household of 5.

I work at a hospital full time as a patient care technician, I make $15.5 and work 36 hours a week multiple by 52 is $29,000 I've been working here for 7 months now.

My husband in the other hand makes $25 an hour full time, 25×40×52= $52,000, he has been working here for 13 years now.

It adds up to $81,000 as our expected household income.

But, our taxt returns are messed up and I don't know if they will considerate our current income or what our tax returns are showing

I have 6 months pay stubs for my husband and I as well as employment letter and W2.

-I am in nursing school and expecting to graduate next year, as soon as I start working under my license our income will increase even more, should I bring a letter from my school will they even look at that?

-Are we too closed to the minimum in our last tax return?

-Are 2018 and 2019 below the minimum requirement going to affect i864 eligibility?

- Is our current household income $81,000 what they will be looking at even though it is not reflected as our total income in previous taxes?

Having a joint sponsor would give me piss of mine, but I've been looking for one for a year now, trying to be ready for NVC steps before hand but didn't find anyone and I don't think anyone will do me that type of favor, we don't have more family in US, just friends that will help you with something like that and I understand.

Thank you and sorry for such long post.

Edited by Rachel&Mommy

1 hour ago, Ultra Mega said:

Only the most recent income will affect eligibility I believe. Could also get job letter stating how much you currently make an hour or salary. There is a section for tax return transcripts and tax return plus W2, I believe the transcripts include W2 info already.

You mean a section in CEAC website? Also do I scan financial documents together with I864, or is it in different files? I just pay the fees yesterday so I don't have green light to upload anything just yet.

37 minutes ago, Rachel&Mommy said:

You mean a section in CEAC website? Also do I scan financial documents together with I864, or is it in different files? I just pay the fees yesterday so I don't have green light to upload anything just yet.

Oh, you just paid. Yeah, wait for your receipt and you'll have access to that page. It will have labels and instructions when you click magnifying glass next to them the list on the section. Should take about 72 hours to gain full access after receipt(sometimes it takes longer).

6 hours ago, Ultra Mega said:

Oh, you just paid. Yeah, wait for your receipt and you'll have access to that page. It will have labels and instructions when you click magnifying glass next to them the list on the section. Should take about 72 hours to gain full access after receipt(sometimes it takes longer).

Thank you.

Filed: Timeline
On 4/7/2021 at 10:31 AM, Rachel&Mommy said:

It adds up to $81,000 as our expected household income.

But, our taxt returns are messed up and I don't know if they will considerate our current income or what our tax returns are showing

I have 6 months pay stubs for my husband and I as well as employment letter and W2.

-I am in nursing school and expecting to graduate next year, as soon as I start working under my license our income will increase even more, should I bring a letter from my school will they even look at that?

-Are we too closed to the minimum in our last tax return?

On 4/7/2021 at 10:31 AM, Rachel&Mommy said:

-Are 2018 and 2019 below the minimum requirement going to affect i864 eligibility?

- Is our current household income $81,000 what they will be looking at even though it is not reflected as our total income in previous taxes?

Having a joint sponsor would give me piss of mine, but I've been looking for one for a year now, trying to be ready for NVC steps before hand but didn't find anyone and I don't think anyone will do me that type of favor, we don't have more family in US, just friends that will help you with something like that and I understand.

Thank you and sorry for such long post.

You need to show current income. You do this by sending employment letters/W2s. You are also required to show your current tax return (the last one filed). You can optionally include the 2 yrs prior returns to show stability in income. The 864 is approved using the Officers discretion. NVC does do a prescreening and if the numbers dont add up to the bare min needed the system will bounce you back telling you to get a joint sponsor to move forward. If you do meet the min needed but barely or if you have self employed income you may get a notice from NVC saying they are sending your case to the Embassy but the Officer will make the final determination. NVC can not tell you a yes or no if you are approved for the 864 as they dont have that authority. They simply prescreen and prevent those who do not meet the requirements from moving forward. It is ultimately up to the Officer. 

So you want to submit what is needed to the 'gatekeepers' at NVC to get to the Embassy. Ideally you want to include all the evidence you want the Officer to consider so they have it before the interview but you can also bring additional or updated info to the interview. The information about your pending degree and potential jobs based on such a degree can be useful in establishing your future income will be not only stable but sufficient. Again current income matters the most. Past income and potential future income are looked at as indications of your ability to earn at the level required.

On 4/10/2021 at 11:20 AM, Villanelle said:

You need to show current income. You do this by sending employment letters/W2s. You are also required to show your current tax return (the last one filed). You can optionally include the 2 yrs prior returns to show stability in income. The 864 is approved using the Officers discretion. NVC does do a prescreening and if the numbers dont add up to the bare min needed the system will bounce you back telling you to get a joint sponsor to move forward. If you do meet the min needed but barely or if you have self employed income you may get a notice from NVC saying they are sending your case to the Embassy but the Officer will make the final determination. NVC can not tell you a yes or no if you are approved for the 864 as they dont have that authority. They simply prescreen and prevent those who do not meet the requirements from moving forward. It is ultimately up to the Officer. 

So you want to submit what is needed to the 'gatekeepers' at NVC to get to the Embassy. Ideally you want to include all the evidence you want the Officer to consider so they have it before the interview but you can also bring additional or updated info to the interview. The information about your pending degree and potential jobs based on such a degree can be useful in establishing your future income will be not only stable but sufficient. Again current income matters the most. Past income and potential future income are looked at as indications of your ability to earn at the level required.

I have employment letter, 6 months pay stubs, w2 and tax transcript for 2020, 2019 and 2018 even though 2019 and 2018 income are below the minimum requirement, but 2020 total income is above the minimum. 

My husband i864a has employment letter, 6 months pay stubs, transcript for the 3 years and w2. His employment letter says 52000 mine says 29000 that is 81000 and the pay stubs prove this income.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.