Rachel&Mommy

I864 Part 6 plz

9 posts in this topic

I'm petitioning for my mother.

So, I didn't work in 2018 or 2019 but my husband and I have always filed jointly. I started my new job in Sept 2020 so, my question is:

Do I reply "No" to part 6 question 5, or should I answer "yes" and use my husband total income for 2018, 2019 or only our total income for 2020 and leave 2018 and 2019 in blank?

We already filed 2020 tax return so that is the only year I actually reported any income.

Thank you in advance, my current income ia not enough so we are also filling a i864A.

Thank you in advance 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, AlfNel23 said:

I'm petitioning for my mother.

So, I didn't work in 2018 or 2019 but my husband and I have always filed jointly. I started my new job in Sept 2020 so, my question is:

Do I reply "No" to part 6 question 5, or should I answer "yes" and use my husband total income for 2018, 2019 or only our total income for 2020 and leave 2018 and 2019 in blank?

We already filed 2020 tax return so that is the only year I actually reported any income.

Thank you in advance, my current income ia not enough so we are also filling a i864A.

Thank you in advance 

You will need to put your annual income in for each year .. even if zero .. then indicate on your I864 that you are using another household member’s income  ( in this case your spouse) to meet the financial requirement.  He will complete an I864a where he declares his annual income and attaches the required documentation. 

7 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

You will need to put your annual income in for each year .. even if zero .. then indicate on your I864 that you are using another household member’s income  ( in this case your spouse) to meet the financial requirement.  He will complete an I864a where he declares his annual income and attaches the required documentation. 

Thanks for your reply.

Do they use Part 6 Q.24a to 24c to determine whether your income is enough or not?

I ask because our total income on 1040 for 2020 is 39,700 but for 2019 it was 29,900 and 2018 31,800 so I don't know if combining our income is still enough. 

We have two children, my mom which is abroad, my husband and I would be a household of 5.

The poverty guidelines requires an income of $38,350 for a household of 5.

Should we had made more than $38,350 in all three years, or is it ok to meet that requirements in our most recent tax year only?

Timeline
5 minutes ago, AlfNel23 said:

Thanks for your reply.

Do they use Part 6 Q.24a to 24c to determine whether your income is enough or not?

I ask because our total income on 1040 for 2020 is 39,700 but for 2019 it was 29,900 and 2018 31,800 so I don't know if combining our income is still enough. 

We have two children, my mom which is abroad, my husband and I would be a household of 5.

The poverty guidelines requires an income of $38,350 for a household of 5.

Should we had made more than $38,350 in all three years, or is it ok to meet that requirements in our most recent tax year only?

It isn’t just one factor but the picture across a variety of factors that the IO looks for. It’s definitely got to be above 125% for current income .. and regular reliable income overall ... also the age of the immigrant can influence the decision .. a younger parent coming on an IR5, who is likely to some years themselves .. may give the IO more confidence in accepting a lower sponsor income than if it was an older parent who isn’t going to work and be self sufficient. But no one knows. You are very close to the line so it might be worth considering a joint sponsor in case the NVC or the IO decide that your family finances aren’t sufficient. 125% is the mininum.  

11 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

It isn’t just one factor but the picture across a variety of factors that the IO looks for. It’s definitely got to be above 125% for current income .. and regular reliable income overall ... also the age of the immigrant can influence the decision .. a younger parent coming on an IR5, who is likely to some years themselves .. may give the IO more confidence in accepting a lower sponsor income than if it was an older parent who isn’t going to work and be self sufficient. But no one knows. You are very close to the line so it might be worth considering a joint sponsor in case the NVC or the IO decide that your family finances aren’t sufficient. 125% is the mininum.  

I ask because if our household income isn't enough then I don't want to waste our time filling out I864A and go straight with a joint sponsor, my mom is 51 and healthy.

The 125% of the poverty guidelines for a household of 5 is $38,350.

Our totak income on 1040 is $39,700.

My individual annual income is $29,000

My husband's individual Annual income is $52,000 a total household income of $81,000. I don't know if they will look at this.

Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, AlfNel23 said:

I ask because if our household income isn't enough then I don't want to waste our time filling out I864A and go straight with a joint sponsor, my mom is 51 and healthy.

The 125% of the poverty guidelines for a household of 5 is $38,350.

Our totak income on 1040 is $39,700.

My individual annual income is $29,000

My husband's individual Annual income is $52,000 a total household income of $81,000. I don't know if they will look at this.

Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it.

I’m just a bit confused.  Is your individual income  on the AGI line of the 1040. $39700 or $81000 

Edited by Lil bear

6 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

I’m just a bit confused.  Is your individual income  on the AGI line of the 1040. $39700 or $81000 

It it $39,700.00, but in part 5 it ask for current individual income, I read somewhere that it is what I am expected to make this year, I calculated 15.50x36x52 (I work 36 hours a week) started this job in Sept last year and my and my husband was unemployed for around 5 months due to covid, but he is back in the same job that is why it isn't reflecting more. I calculated his current income same why I did for mine, he works 40 hours a week though.

Correct me if I wrong plz and thanks

Timeline
4 minutes ago, AlfNel23 said:

It it $39,700.00, but in part 5 it ask for current individual income, I read somewhere that it is what I am expected to make this year, I calculated 15.50x36x52 (I work 36 hours a week) started this job in Sept last year and my and my husband was unemployed for around 5 months due to covid, but he is back in the same job that is why it isn't reflecting more. I calculated his current income same why I did for mine, he works 40 hours a week though.

Correct me if I wrong plz and thanks

Current income is what you would earn if you kept working where you are now for your usual hours for the next 12 months. If that figure for your joint income is over the 125% that is a significant positive for your sponsorship being considered acceptable. Use the I 864 and I 864a ., your tax returns document previous years income .. your recent payslips document your current income. 

Hope this makes sense. 2020 income for so many will be affected by unavoidable unemployment.  Sounds like your on better footing now !!  

8 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Current income is what you would earn if you kept working where you are now for your usual hours for the next 12 months. If that figure for your joint income is over the 125% that is a significant positive for your sponsorship being considered acceptable. Use the I 864 and I 864a ., your tax returns document previous years income .. your recent payslips document your current income. 

Hope this makes sense. 2020 income for so many will be affected by unavoidable unemployment.  Sounds like your on better footing now !!  

That figure is beyond over 125%. I am planning to send 2020 tax transcript, and 6 months of our most recent pay stubs for i864 and i864a. 

Thank you so very much for your help. 

Good night 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.