Tio

Change of Address - USCIS

6 posts in this topic

Hi, everyone. Good afternoon.

So, I sent in my I-751 package last week on March 4th, 2021 and it was received on March 5th, 2021. Within that application, I added my new address and the new lease; however, I am being told that I still have to update my address with USCIS using the Change of Address (CoA; https://egov.uscis.gov/coa/displayCOAInitForm.do?fromFirstCoaPage=true) form on their website. I am trying to do it, but I am running into trouble...

For this question, "Have you filed an immigration-related application or petition and have not yet received a decision notice, card, or document?", what do I answer? If I answer "Yes", it's asking me for the form numbers and whatnot, but I have not received notification about my latest I-751 package since it has only been a week. If I answer "No", when I try to enter the details of the citizen, it does not show United States of America under "Country of current citizenship".

Does it matter if I answer "Yes" or "No" to the question above? Can either one of us -- either the green card holder or USC -- change the address and will it update everything in their system for the both of us? Or do we have to individually request a Change of Address for the both of us?

Any help is welcome. I am simply trying to update our address in their system since it has already been 11 days since the date on the lease (March 1st, 2021), even though we didn't really move into the apartment until like March 9th, 2021 due to repairs that weren't fully completed.

In any case, does anyone have any information as to what exactly we have to do to change our address with USCIS even though we already added the new one on the application and added a lease as well? 

Thanks so much!!!!

Edited by Tio

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
On 3/12/2021 at 9:21 AM, Tio said:

Hi, everyone. Good afternoon.

So, I sent in my I-751 package last week on March 4th, 2021 and it was received on March 5th, 2021. Within that application, I added my new address and the new lease; however, I am being told that I still have to update my address with USCIS using the Change of Address (CoA; https://egov.uscis.gov/coa/displayCOAInitForm.do?fromFirstCoaPage=true) form on their website. I am trying to do it, but I am running into trouble...

For this question, "Have you filed an immigration-related application or petition and have not yet received a decision notice, card, or document?", what do I answer? If I answer "Yes", it's asking me for the form numbers and whatnot, but I have not received notification about my latest I-751 package since it has only been a week. If I answer "No", when I try to enter the details of the citizen, it does not show United States of America under "Country of current citizenship".

Does it matter if I answer "Yes" or "No" to the question above? Can either one of us -- either the green card holder or USC -- change the address and will it update everything in their system for the both of us? Or do we have to individually request a Change of Address for the both of us?

Any help is welcome. I am simply trying to update our address in their system since it has already been 11 days since the date on the lease (March 1st, 2021), even though we didn't really move into the apartment until like March 9th, 2021 due to repairs that weren't fully completed.

In any case, does anyone have any information as to what exactly we have to do to change our address with USCIS even though we already added the new one on the application and added a lease as well? 

Thanks so much!!!!

I don't know when you moved, but if you had moved before you filed this petition showing your new address, then you should have filed change of address right away. Right now, since you haven't done it, I would think it is not necessary to do that, since you already indicated your new address in new petition. It will be updated via this new petition. USCIS doesn't do anything with these address changes anyways, I haven't seen one case that USCIS successfully processed their address change. 

For your sponsor, he/she would need to file I-865 for sponsor's change of address, which is not a form that can be done online: https://www.uscis.gov/i-865

Removal of Conditions

02/06/2021: Filed and package sent

02/10/2021: Received by USCIS

03/18/2021: NOA 1

07/01/2021: Biometrics waived

09/27/2011: Case approved, no interview (K1 visa)

Service Center: WAC

9 hours ago, Huckleberry&Koala said:

I don't know when you moved, but if you had moved before you filed this petition showing your new address, then you should have filed change of address right away. Right now, since you haven't done it, I would think it is not necessary to do that, since you already indicated your new address in new petition. It will be updated via this new petition. USCIS doesn't do anything with these address changes anyways, I haven't seen one case that USCIS successfully processed their address change. 

For your sponsor, he/she would need to file I-865 for sponsor's change of address, which is not a form that can be done online: https://www.uscis.gov/i-865

We waited until we moved for us to send in the I-751 because it was suggested for us to do that. Our lease started March 1st, 2021 and we sent our application on March 4th, 2021. I included the new lease and informed them on the application that we had just recently moved. 

When we moved before, we never had to fill our I-865. We simply went online and changed our address. Everything went smoothly. 

Do we still have to do this?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
1 hour ago, Tio said:

We waited until we moved for us to send in the I-751 because it was suggested for us to do that. Our lease started March 1st, 2021 and we sent our application on March 4th, 2021. I included the new lease and informed them on the application that we had just recently moved. 

When we moved before, we never had to fill our I-865. We simply went online and changed our address. Everything went smoothly. 

Do we still have to do this?

I-865 is required for sponsor's change of address, not the petition or the petitioner whereas online website is for petition or petitioner (immigrant), so it is technically required if you have a sponsor and have a I-864 filled out. Here is the quote from i-865's instructions: "If at any time in the past you completed Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, to sponsor an immigrant, you are required to report your change of address within 30 days of the change if the sponsorship agreement is still in force". 

Removal of Conditions

02/06/2021: Filed and package sent

02/10/2021: Received by USCIS

03/18/2021: NOA 1

07/01/2021: Biometrics waived

09/27/2011: Case approved, no interview (K1 visa)

Service Center: WAC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.