TYosemite

Help with I-134 for K1

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all, so my fiancé had previously filled out the I-134 Affidavit of Support but it was lost in the mail so we need to fill another & now he’s panicking over questions he’s already answered.

I just wanted to get some guidance on a couple things, I’ve looked over the example but still a little confused.

In regards to page 1, question 11-12 I saw on the example they left it blank except for 12 but my fiancé was born in the US so do I need to fill out any of that? 

Part 3 question 3 about income & assets, do I need to note attached pages for proof on the last other info page or can I just attach it & leave blank (the example had them leaving it blank)? 

For Part 3, questions 26-29 he would put my info & the date we filed our I-129F correct? 

Part 3, question 38 this is the real confusing one, I have 50% of people saying you need to tick off I intend & then in the other info page explain you’ll be providing medical, housing, food etc. Then the other 50% saying to leave it blank & fill it out how it is on the example.

Thank you for any help, I really appreciate it, he’s a bit stressed at the moment 🙂

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

1. Page 1 Q 11-12 starts the section with the following statement:

If you are not a U.S. citizen based on your birth in the United States... ...answer the following as appropriate:

2. The evidence submitted with annual income is (usually) provided by third-party sources and couldn't be included on the last page. If you'd like, add a note on the final page noting "Page 3 Part 3 Q3 - see attached". But, the way the question is worded, it's implied the evidence will be attached. Either way, a real human will be reading this and can simply look at the attached documents. 

3. 26-29, Yes, they would provide your name, filing date here.

4.  As you noted, this is always a point of contention on this forum for some reason. Unless you are making "SPECIFIC CONTRIBUTIONS" (a fixed dollar amount) to the fiancé, ie: providing them with room and board or a weekly stipend, this can be checked "do not intend". Think of the question as: Will your fiancé be providing you an allowance, yes/no?

If you can't provide the start date, the specific dollar amount, the reason for the payment, and the end date - don't include this.

On the other hand, if you know that your fiancé will be paying a medical bill starting June 2nd in a lump sum of $500 - go ahead and mark that down.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Peot said:

1. Page 1 Q 11-12 starts the section with the following statement:

If you are not a U.S. citizen based on your birth in the United States... ...answer the following as appropriate:

2. The evidence submitted with annual income is (usually) provided by third-party sources and couldn't be included on the last page. If you'd like, add a note on the final page noting "Page 3 Part 3 Q3 - see attached". But, the way the question is worded, it's implied the evidence will be attached. Either way, a real human will be reading this and can simply look at the attached documents. 

3. 26-29, Yes, they would provide your name, filing date here.

4.  As you noted, this is always a point of contention on this forum for some reason. Unless you are making "SPECIFIC CONTRIBUTIONS" (a fixed dollar amount) to the fiancé, ie: providing them with room and board or a weekly stipend, this can be checked "do not intend". Think of the question as: Will your fiancé be providing you an allowance, yes/no?

If you can't provide the start date, the specific dollar amount, the reason for the payment, and the end date - don't include this.

On the other hand, if you know that your fiancé will be paying a medical bill starting June 2nd in a lump sum of $500 - go ahead and mark that down.

Thank you so much for the help, this is exactly how we ended up filling it out. 

I think because I handled all of the forms so far he just had a bit of a panic!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 3/1/2021 at 12:25 PM, TYosemite said:

Thank you so much for the help, this is exactly how we ended up filling it out. 

I think because I handled all of the forms so far he just had a bit of a panic!

I admit that when I was first going through the process, I had a few moments of panic as well - unsure of whether or not I was doing something right or wrong, but it's honestly not something to panic about.

You come to realize that it's a real human going through the paperwork. If something is wrong, or not clear to them, they will send an RFE for more information, which is not a big deal at all. Usually, they understand the nature of the application and should be ok with it. Any additional questions are usually asked and answered at the interview. Once it's all said and done, and especially at the interview(s), you realize how much you were overcomplicating it and overthinking things.

Best of luck to you both!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.