klam133

I need help with filling out i-485

9 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I am currently following the forum example of i485. However, since my now wife is a Vietnamese, i have a question regarding how i should fill out her name in the forms.

For example.

Her name is

First: Truc Nhi

Middle: Thi

Last: Nguyen

However, on the form i94, it was restructured to Thi Truc Nhi Nguyen, instead of Truc Nhi Thi Nguyen. The reason is because of how her passport and visa show. I think everyone with Vietnamese spouse encounter this issue. Solution to this is to stick with the i-94 form from which i rather looking around this forum.

With that, I filled out my marriage license and SSN for my wife the way how i-94 shows.

Now with the i-485, do i keep following this and if the interviewer ask, my wife and i can tell them because of how vietnam structure their names?

Edited by klam133
missing question.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Common problem for Vietnamese.

So many Vietnamese women get their immigration visas as "Thi X Nguyen" and end up legally with Thi as their first name.  Usually, they wait for naturalization to fix their names.

Is your wife taking your last name?

3 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Common problem for Vietnamese.

So many Vietnamese women get their immigration visas as "Thi X Nguyen" and end up legally with Thi as their first name.  Usually, they wait for naturalization to fix their names.

Is your wife taking your last name?

She is not. We decided not to change her name at the moment in fear that it might be a problem when doing paperwork. 

Timeline
42 minutes ago, klam133 said:

She is not. We decided not to change her name at the moment in fear that it might be a problem when doing paperwork. 

Probably easier to take your name now.  Did she arrive on a K-1?

Timeline
5 minutes ago, klam133 said:

I have used her "incorrect" name for the SSN and Marriage License. 
For the form i-485, i will use the correct name?

Now, you're stuck.  

For the marriage license and SSN, you attested that was her true name.  Getting her green card in her correct name is going to create confusion.  

At this point, she may have to just live with her new name unless you want to go back to correct the SSN and marriage certificate.  

6 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Now, you're stuck.  

For the marriage license and SSN, you attested that was her true name.  Getting her green card in her correct name is going to create confusion.  

At this point, she may have to just live with her new name unless you want to go back to correct the SSN and marriage certificate.  

This is what i am kinda confuses. When i applied for her Ssn, they did not allow me to file her actual name but use the name  on the I94 form, which was why i did the same for our marriage license. A couple of  VJers recommend me to follow that until she apply for her citizenship. I was told there is a spot on i485 to fill out how you want your name to be on the green card but i could not find that section. I think after she got the green card , we can take that and reapply for her ssn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.