fishandcrisps

Anyone able to visit their spouse in the US during UK covid-19 restrictions?

8 posts in this topic

Has anyone had any experience recently with 'visiting' their spouse in the US, travelling from the UK? If so what do the airlines need to see?

International travel is only permitted from the UK if you have a legally permitted reason https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-lockdown-stay-at-home?priority-taxon=774cee22-d896-44c1-a611-e3109cce8eae#international-travel 

The law sets out the reasons: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/regulation/6/made

My situation: I have taken a career break as I want to travel to see my US spouse in April 2021  to live with him for the max period permitted (on ESTA this is 3 months). But with the lockdown rules I don't know whether this would be considered a 'visit' as I do not yet have the right to live there (currently in the process of getting visa). I wondered therefore if this would be deemed a good enough reason - technically I am moving there with him, albeit I will be leaving after 3 months if I dont get a response back from immigration.

thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I recently travelled from the UK to the US to see my wife and for the birth of my child. From my experience you should be fine to travel, nobody at the airport asked for a reason for travelling, they simply needed to check I was exempt from the US travel ban (which I was due to being married to a USC).

I'm not sure where you are in regards to your visa process or what visa you are applying for (I assume spouse visa), but you will have to return home for your medical and interview once you actually get to that point. I would be careful with how you word everything once entering the US as well, telling then you will be there for the full stay of the of your ESTA and that you are planning on living there may seem skeptical. 

I'm sure there are others on here who will have much better information with all this than me though. 

• 4 weeks later...

I too am wondering if we are exempt from the latest travel restrictions if we want to visit our spouse abroad?

The UK are now introducing £5000 fines to anyone travelling on holiday and this rule will come into effect Monday 29th March https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56493002

I have not been able to find anything on long distance marriages through any of the government portals so it is really difficult to know. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2021 at 12:17 AM, JPD91 said:

I recently travelled from the UK to the US to see my wife and for the birth of my child. From my experience you should be fine to travel, nobody at the airport asked for a reason for travelling, they simply needed to check I was exempt from the US travel ban (which I was due to being married to a USC).

I'm not sure where you are in regards to your visa process or what visa you are applying for (I assume spouse visa), but you will have to return home for your medical and interview once you actually get to that point. I would be careful with how you word everything once entering the US as well, telling then you will be there for the full stay of the of your ESTA and that you are planning on living there may seem skeptical. 

I'm sure there are others on here who will have much better information with all this than me though. 

thanks for feedback on your experience. Yes I will need to be absolutely clear at US immigration that I have no intention to stay to live at this stage.  I've traveled once before the UK introduced the travel ban.  Not sure how hard the UK are enforcing the rules, they seem to be taking it seriously especially with the fines now. Unfortunately I am not sure where I stand, given this isn't really a holiday but it might be perceived to be. Probably safe to consider after 17th May. 

Would welcome anyone's experiences if they have been in a similar situation recently

On 3/23/2021 at 12:01 PM, AlcantarA said:

I too am wondering if we are exempt from the latest travel restrictions if we want to visit our spouse abroad?

The UK are now introducing £5000 fines to anyone travelling on holiday and this rule will come into effect Monday 29th March https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56493002

I have not been able to find anything on long distance marriages through any of the government portals so it is really difficult to know. 

Are you waiting until after 17th May to book?

7 hours ago, fishandcrisps said:

Are you waiting until after 17th May to book?

Because of work commitments and the fact that I want to be able to spend enough time with my husband, I am planning to leave on May 15th. I have just struggled to get into contact with anyone to understand if we are exempt. These trips should not be considered holidays.

On 4/13/2021 at 11:21 PM, AlcantarA said:

Because of work commitments and the fact that I want to be able to spend enough time with my husband, I am planning to leave on May 15th. I have just struggled to get into contact with anyone to understand if we are exempt. These trips should not be considered holidays.

Unfortunately, the law is so vague and what irks me most is that circumstances might be different for everyone, it really should be a case by case.

I wish you the best of luck. I hope you get through without issues, it would be ridiculous if you couldnt, as these are definitely essential!

If you can, please report back on the results, it would really help.

On 4/19/2021 at 5:19 PM, fishandcrisps said:

Unfortunately, the law is so vague and what irks me most is that circumstances might be different for everyone, it really should be a case by case.

I wish you the best of luck. I hope you get through without issues, it would be ridiculous if you couldnt, as these are definitely essential!

If you can, please report back on the results, it would really help.

Of course I will! I will let you know as soon as possible :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.