ding

Thai Embassy in DC or LA faster for my Type-O visa?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Have the VJ insiders heard if the Royal Thai Embassy in DC or Consulate in LA is faster or more reliable for this American's Type-O Thai visa?

My wife and I want to retire early to Thailand to avoid scraping the windshield. Quarantine here we come!

;)

Edited by ding

2-2-07 Sent I-129F to NSC

2-6-07 NSC received USPS mail, NSC then to CSC

2-15-07 NOA1 -file received

2-16-07 check cashed

2-23-07 touched

5-4-07 NOA2 approval -email

5-13-07 sent cancellation request letter

6-7-07 we're going to retry with a K-3

8-6-07 married in Thailand (dual language, dual representation prenuptial)

8-7-07 sent K3 from Bangkok

9-10-07 I-130 NOA1, (received at CSC 8-9-07)

10-9-07 sent I-129F to CSC

11-1-07 touched I-130

requested consular processing I-130 (http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PN_i-129f.pdf)

9-13-07 I-129F for Spouse arrived CSC via USPS return rcpt. requested

4-1-08 NOA2 for K3 (I-134 supposed to be processed but processed I-129F instead)

7-11-08 interview Bangkok, passed.

7-16-08 POE arrival, 2 hours in Seattle Customs.

AOS I-486 sent 4-4-09

AOS NOA1 4-13-09 for all; I-485, I-131, I765

RFE 4-27-09 Thai official document in lieu of original Birth Certificate not sufficient???

Infopass appointment 5-26-09 at USCIS. Officer thought our doc was valid and doesn't know why the RFE.

7-28-09 EAD and AP sent

Social Security card 8-4-09

interview 9-10-09

10 year green card expires 9-17-19, Permanent Resident Card.

Resident since 9-10-09.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I've done multiple Type O visas for Thailand. I usually just drive from Vegas to LA for work, drop off application and fee, and pick up the next day. I have picked up same day by dropping off early AM around 8AM, and it was ready by 1pm for pickup. My first one I did thru the mail, and it took about 9 days. I used priority mail both ways. I have never used the Embassy in DC, as I have never had any issue with LA. I would use LA from my experience. And the good news is I believe they reduced the quarantine to 10 days now, or it is in the works. Be ready for the sticker shock when you see what they charge you to stay in the State Authorized resort for quarantine. It would be cheaper to wait a few months if possible to avoid it. I have the STV visa in my passport, but didn't use it due to the nightmare of the quarantine and everything you need to even enter. Total for the hotel and visa fees you are going to be out around 4000 US dollars. Then add airfare, and the food and meals you will have to order in for the 14 days, plus the 3 covid tests you will be taking at 3000 Baht a shot. it adds up really quickly. I would already be retired there if it wasn't for the cost to even just get into the country currently. I'll struggle thru a little more of the good old USA, since I see a few vaccines on the horizon. A good majority of the population should be done by end of April, early May, and I am hoping Thailand will reopen then.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks for the reply Loren Y. Agree 100% about the ASQ cost. Those numbers caused me to do serious breakdowns on room type, view, sq meters. food, etc.

The ASQ hotels include 2 rtPCR tests but I need to buy the one 72 hrs before departure... not cheap here, and hard to find unless a Dr says you're sick.

At least those hotels have to include 3 meals but it's hard to confirm the quality.

And the discount advertised on the Thai ASQ site aren't being given; "Those rooms are in high demand"... TI still T. ;)

I'm going to wait on the vaccine(s) personally. The public information is from a for-profit firm creating a press release. Their stock price soared, of course. I'm waiting for a peer reviewed study personally, for now anyway.

I read on the Thai Embassy site that the USA is one of the countries no longer eligible for the STV. If so, you either have the golden ticket - or a bit of landfill. Kidding...

Like you, I'm thinking of delaying early retirement and seeing what happens. Although the cases surge in the US has me seeing the ASQ program as a privilege allowed by Thailand and an opportunity to mitigate risk here. There's value in that for me. I'll just keep taking reasonable steps and not get too married to the outcome.

2-2-07 Sent I-129F to NSC

2-6-07 NSC received USPS mail, NSC then to CSC

2-15-07 NOA1 -file received

2-16-07 check cashed

2-23-07 touched

5-4-07 NOA2 approval -email

5-13-07 sent cancellation request letter

6-7-07 we're going to retry with a K-3

8-6-07 married in Thailand (dual language, dual representation prenuptial)

8-7-07 sent K3 from Bangkok

9-10-07 I-130 NOA1, (received at CSC 8-9-07)

10-9-07 sent I-129F to CSC

11-1-07 touched I-130

requested consular processing I-130 (http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PN_i-129f.pdf)

9-13-07 I-129F for Spouse arrived CSC via USPS return rcpt. requested

4-1-08 NOA2 for K3 (I-134 supposed to be processed but processed I-129F instead)

7-11-08 interview Bangkok, passed.

7-16-08 POE arrival, 2 hours in Seattle Customs.

AOS I-486 sent 4-4-09

AOS NOA1 4-13-09 for all; I-485, I-131, I765

RFE 4-27-09 Thai official document in lieu of original Birth Certificate not sufficient???

Infopass appointment 5-26-09 at USCIS. Officer thought our doc was valid and doesn't know why the RFE.

7-28-09 EAD and AP sent

Social Security card 8-4-09

interview 9-10-09

10 year green card expires 9-17-19, Permanent Resident Card.

Resident since 9-10-09.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
1 hour ago, ding said:

Thanks for the reply Loren Y. Agree 100% about the ASQ cost. Those numbers caused me to do serious breakdowns on room type, view, sq meters. food, etc.

The ASQ hotels include 2 rtPCR tests but I need to buy the one 72 hrs before departure... not cheap here, and hard to find unless a Dr says you're sick.

At least those hotels have to include 3 meals but it's hard to confirm the quality.

And the discount advertised on the Thai ASQ site aren't being given; "Those rooms are in high demand"... TI still T. ;)

I'm going to wait on the vaccine(s) personally. The public information is from a for-profit firm creating a press release. Their stock price soared, of course. I'm waiting for a peer reviewed study personally, for now anyway.

I read on the Thai Embassy site that the USA is one of the countries no longer eligible for the STV. If so, you either have the golden ticket - or a bit of landfill. Kidding...

Like you, I'm thinking of delaying early retirement and seeing what happens. Although the cases surge in the US has me seeing the ASQ program as a privilege allowed by Thailand and an opportunity to mitigate risk here. There's value in that for me. I'll just keep taking reasonable steps and not get too married to the outcome.

Test here is easy and Free. Book thru CVS, do the drive thru testing. It's Free, and you just schedule it online. I have to test all the time because of work, and never had a problem getting in next day, and results in 2 days.

If they are not issuing STV Visa's anymore, I don't think you will be able to get in. The type O visa gives you the ability to apply for the STV visa. If they aren't issuing them to US residents, you may be out of luck. You also need the letter from the Thai consulate that authorizes your right to enter, and you also need proof of insurance coverage equal to 100,000 dollars. I had all of these set up, and still held off. I haven't looked lately at the requirements, but my visa is still valid and I have everything. I would just have to book a place to stay at a authorized resort. It's good they are including food now, I don't think that was a option when I jumped thru all the hoops to get ready for travel in October. Let me know what you find out. Worst case scenario is I can use this visa when I have to go back by November 2021 to renew my Thai driver's license and other things to keep me legal over there until I retire. 

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.