krautundwurst

CRBA-Passport Problems

6 posts in this topic

OK. So we are in Germany. My husband NEEDED a traditional German name. So our baby's name is 45 characters. 36 are allowed on the US passport. But, passports applied from abroad can only be 20 characters, because they have to match the CRBA and not the legal name of the baby or else "there will be problems later in life." I can't find this anywhere in the FAM. What is going on? How can they do this? I think the names are a bit much, but my husband is devastated.

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

A traditional German name with 45 characters? Unless it ends with "von Bayern" or "zu Hohenzollern" which name did he give the child? 

And to your problem, do you already have the CRBA?

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

8 hours ago, Mark88 said:

A traditional German name with 45 characters? Unless it ends with "von Bayern" or "zu Hohenzollern" which name did he give the child? 

And to your problem, do you already have the CRBA?

There is a Von as a given name, since I think it is illegal in the family name now. The family used to be petty nobles and it still matters. No, he has 5 first names. Yes. FIVE. We are moving to America soon, where that sort of thing is considered pretentious. But like I said, this is important to him. So it is important to me to. I mean, YOU try telling a German man that a 600 year old family tradition cannot be followed. I dare you. lol I will still call little Wilhelm "Billy", so I don't mind. But it seems odd that the land of the free cannot respect a culture like this. No we have not received it yet. Been 3 months of going back and forth. They are having problems too, becuase despite being married, they can't put my husband's name on the CRBA and are telling him under the Real Name Law of the US, he needs to get his name changed in Germany for it to fit. This is all so odd. Like, there are all kinds of German Royal larpers still around today. They are no longer royals, but it's still a big deal to them. I  don't know if it is 1% of the population, but we can't be the first?

Timeline

Whatever name you give your child - as long within the Standesamtsrecht - it is your decision. But you do see the issues it can cause. 

Why does the US want your husband to change his name? Is it too long, too? 

And that a passport aplied from abroad can only have 20 characters does not seem to make sense to me: My passport (including my very first one in my life and the most recent one + my children) were applied from abroad (the US consulate in Germany to be exact) and my name and those of my children have 20+ characters too (under 33 characters though). 

And the "von" is not illegal per se, but since Germany abolished royalty, there is just no King or Emperor around who can give you a "von" title ;)

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

20 hours ago, Mark88 said:

Whatever name you give your child - as long within the Standesamtsrecht - it is your decision. But you do see the issues it can cause. 

Why does the US want your husband to change his name? Is it too long, too? 

And that a passport aplied from abroad can only have 20 characters does not seem to make sense to me: My passport (including my very first one in my life and the most recent one + my children) were applied from abroad (the US consulate in Germany to be exact) and my name and those of my children have 20+ characters too (under 33 characters though). 

And the "von" is not illegal per se, but since Germany abolished royalty, there is just no King or Emperor around who can give you a "von" title ;)

Ha. Thank you. Es tut mir leid! I did not see you are also from the Fatherland. Apparently they are saying the issue is that the passport has to match the CRBA. Which is a very limited document. Did you do the CRBA in Germany? Vielen Dank!

Timeline
On 10/30/2020 at 7:21 AM, krautundwurst said:

Ha. Thank you. Es tut mir leid! I did not see you are also from the Fatherland. Apparently they are saying the issue is that the passport has to match the CRBA. Which is a very limited document. Did you do the CRBA in Germany? Vielen Dank!

All was done in Germany (CRBA+Passports). And as mentioned above, all names longer than 20 characters.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.