guitarboy53

AOS and sending in original I94 card

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hello all,

My wife and I are sending in our AOS documents in the next few days. My wife is here on a K3 Visa, and her Visa is good for another year and a half. In the AOS documents, it states we need to send in the I94 card. We are planning on going back to Turkey in the next month. I thought that the airline requires the I94 card to board the plane. At the same time, I think USCIS wants the original card.

I guess my question is a) does USCIS really need the original I94 card? or can they take a photo copy? B) If USCIS does need the original, can the airline use a photo copy when she leaves the country?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

matt

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello all,

My wife and I are sending in our AOS documents in the next few days. My wife is here on a K3 Visa, and her Visa is good for another year and a half. In the AOS documents, it states we need to send in the I94 card. We are planning on going back to Turkey in the next month. I thought that the airline requires the I94 card to board the plane. At the same time, I think USCIS wants the original card.

I guess my question is a) does USCIS really need the original I94 card? or can they take a photo copy? B) If USCIS does need the original, can the airline use a photo copy when she leaves the country?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

matt

Hello...as far as I know..you can just submit a photocopy of I-94 just like what we did. I photocopied the front and back fo the form. During the interview, I think thats the time they will need to check the original.

Have a great day!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Do not send the original I-94.

The instructions in AOS document did not specifically require you to send the original copy.

AOS Journey (FROM K1)

05/18/2007 - Got married

05/21/2007 - AOS(I-485) and EAD(I-765) sent

05/22/2007 - AOS and EAD received by Chicago office (or Missouri Service Center)

05/29/2007 - AOS and EAD NOA1s received (dated 05/25/2007)

05/29/2007 - AOS and EAD touched

06/03/2007 - AOS and EAD touched

06/04/2007 - Biometrics appointment letter received

06/16/2007 - RFE received (dated 06/12/2007)

06/20/2007 - Biometrics appointment (Day 30)

06/20/2007 - EAD touched

06/21/2007 - RFE documents sent, EAD touched

06/26/2007 - AOS touched, "Case resumes" email received

07/16/2007 - Interview letter received (08/30/2007)

08/03/2007 - EAD approved, "Card production ordered" email received

08/06/2007 - EAD touched

08/30/2007 - AOS Initial Interview - APPROVED!

08/31/2007 - AOS "Card productin ordered" email received

They took the original I-94 when my wife {[K3] had her interview. I never saw where sending in the original was required. May have missed it.

"Maybe" it's because they are giving some GCs without interviews now.

When they did take the I-94 they instructed us she'd have to get AP if she wanted to re-enter the US until she got her GC.

Blew me away as I thought K3s were multiple entries until you got the GC.

Another reason K3s SUCK.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline
They took the original I-94 when my wife {[K3] had her interview. I never saw where sending in the original was required. May have missed it.

"Maybe" it's because they are giving some GCs without interviews now.

When they did take the I-94 they instructed us she'd have to get AP if she wanted to re-enter the US until she got her GC.

Blew me away as I thought K3s were multiple entries until you got the GC.

Another reason K3s SUCK.

The taking of the I-94 from you at the interview and them stating that you need AP for travel are not K-3 related issues....

YMMV

The taking of the I-94 from you at the interview and them stating that you need AP for travel are not K-3 related issues....

How so? The interview should not have taken the I-94 and the K-3 should remain valid for travel until the GC is approved. The K-3 holder should never need an AP to travel.

Timeline

How so? The interview should not have taken the I-94 and the K-3 should remain valid for travel until the GC is approved. The K-3 holder should never need an AP to travel.

Exactly, what happened to the poster is some apparent mistake... therefore not a K-3 issue.

YMMV

Filed: Timeline

Dr_LHA,

A K3 visa expires 2 years after being issued, and a K3 will need AP to return to the USA should the visa expire before adjustment is granted, if the K3 is obtaining their LPR status by adjustment. Doesn't happen often, but it can and has happened.

Yodrak

..... the K-3 should remain valid for travel until the GC is approved. The K-3 holder should never need an AP to travel.

Edited by Yodrak

It Happened!

Took both Wife and daughters!

Edited by beckypua

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

No doubt it happened, doesn't make it any less wrong that the Interviewing officer did that if your K-3 was unexpired.

Dr_LHA,

A K3 visa expires 2 years after being issued, and a K3 will need AP to return to the USA should the visa expire before adjustment is granted, if the K3 is obtaining their LPR status by adjustment. Doesn't happen often, but it can and has happened.

Sure, but I assumed as the poster was indignant about how their K-3 should allow them to travel, that it hadn't expired.

Edited by Dr_LHA

Filed: Timeline

beckypua,

If the officer was able to approve the adjustment at the conclusion of the interview then it was appropriate for them to take the I-94.

If they were not able to approve the adjustment at that point - perhaps the FBI clearance was not yet in, or an essential document was missing and needed to be provided - then they should not have taken the I-94.

The bit about needing AP to travel was wrong in either case, unless the adjustment could not be approved and the visa had not yet expired.

Yodrak

It Happened!

beckypua,

If the officer was able to approve the adjustment at the conclusion of the interview then it was appropriate for them to take the I-94.

If they were not able to approve the adjustment at that point - perhaps the FBI clearance was not yet in, or an essential document was missing and needed to be provided - then they should not have taken the I-94.

The bit about needing AP to travel was wrong in either case, unless the adjustment could not be approved and the visa had not yet expired.

Yodrak

It Happened!

We didn't even have Biometrics [The first one of 3-Another story] until an hour AFTER the interview!!

Guess you can call it "Hawaiian Style".

!! ALL PAU!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.