patis

My wife only has a high school diploma. Does she need an equivalency of this diploma? Or just a translation for the I-944

4 posts in this topic

The way I read it from the 944 instructions were that you only need equivalency's for college degrees. Since she only has a high school diploma is it okay to only submit a translation of the document?

This is the part in the instructions that made me come to this conclusion. If anyone reads it differently let me know

"

Indicate whether or not you have graduated high school or earned an equivalent of a high school diploma or whether you have a higher degree. If you did not graduate high school, list the highest grade completed.
Also, list all educational programs you attended in the space provided, such as high school, college, or other higher education.

"

And

"

Foreign education should include an evaluation of equivalency to education or degrees acquired at accredited colleges, universities, or educational institutions in the United States.

"

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 9:51 AM, patis said:

The way I read it from the 944 instructions were that you only need equivalency's for college degrees. Since she only has a high school diploma is it okay to only submit a translation of the document?

This is the part in the instructions that made me come to this conclusion. If anyone reads it differently let me know

"

Indicate whether or not you have graduated high school or earned an equivalent of a high school diploma or whether you have a higher degree. If you did not graduate high school, list the highest grade completed.
Also, list all educational programs you attended in the space provided, such as high school, college, or other higher education.

"

And

"

Foreign education should include an evaluation of equivalency to education or degrees acquired at accredited colleges, universities, or educational institutions in the United States.

"

I can't give you a 100% certain answer, but I can tell you how I did it.

I also only have something similar to a high school diploma and got it translates by a professional translator. Luckily there was a conversion chart on my diploma already and he added a footnote stating that my diploma equals a preparatory high-school. Apart from that I only wrote a letter with an explanation of the German schooling system... that's it.

I sent all that stuff back in April, got no RFE and got my Greencard approved at the interview a few days ago. So it must have been enough 🤷🏻‍♀️ hope that helps

• 3 months later...
On 10/10/2020 at 1:26 PM, MalinRonja said:

I can't give you a 100% certain answer, but I can tell you how I did it.

I also only have something similar to a high school diploma and got it translates by a professional translator. Luckily there was a conversion chart on my diploma already and he added a footnote stating that my diploma equals a preparatory high-school. Apart from that I only wrote a letter with an explanation of the German schooling system... that's it.

I sent all that stuff back in April, got no RFE and got my Greencard approved at the interview a few days ago. So it must have been enough 🤷🏻‍♀️ hope that helps

I know it has been few months since you commented.. but wanted to ask you where did you get your German diploma translated?

I'm working on my husband's application (also from Germany) and I was sooo confused with it lol he is even confused how he can explain it. I've watched some videos and I understand Ausbildung but wasn't sure if this needs to be translated or not.

5 hours ago, Kitzki said:

I know it has been few months since you commented.. but wanted to ask you where did you get your German diploma translated?

I'm working on my husband's application (also from Germany) and I was sooo confused with it lol he is even confused how he can explain it. I've watched some videos and I understand Ausbildung but wasn't sure if this needs to be translated or not.

I used this website:

https://uebersetzernetzwerk.net/

Very nice guy. Easy process.

I just sent an email explaining what I want and a pdf file of the document, they send a quote, I transfer the moneyand they send the translation. That's it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.