Soo Lee

Police Certificate

3 posts in this topic

I just recently received a police certificate from Mexico for my wife's CR-1 visa and I was wondering on the expiration date. The police certificate (Constancia de Datos Registrales) says that it is valid for 30 days from issuance. What I am wondering then is, can I upload this certificate on CEAC before the expiration date on it's own or would it be better to upload ALL required documents at the same time before the expiration date? Also, for the interview, I believe you need to bring the original copy of everything you've submitted online but the original police certificate would definitely be expired by then, so would I need to acquire another police certificate? It took about a month to receive this police certificate from Mexico and it wasn't cheap for hiring a third party service, so I'm wondering. I read that police certificates from Mexico don't expire if the person have not returned after leaving the country, is this true and if so, would it then not matter when I upload the certificate and then bringing it to the interview?

Thank you!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
On 8/7/2020 at 8:06 PM, Soo Lee said:

I just recently received a police certificate from Mexico for my wife's CR-1 visa and I was wondering on the expiration date. The police certificate (Constancia de Datos Registrales) says that it is valid for 30 days from issuance. What I am wondering then is, can I upload this certificate on CEAC before the expiration date on it's own or would it be better to upload ALL required documents at the same time before the expiration date? Also, for the interview, I believe you need to bring the original copy of everything you've submitted online but the original police certificate would definitely be expired by then, so would I need to acquire another police certificate? It took about a month to receive this police certificate from Mexico and it wasn't cheap for hiring a third party service, so I'm wondering. I read that police certificates from Mexico don't expire if the person have not returned after leaving the country, is this true and if so, would it then not matter when I upload the certificate and then bringing it to the interview?

Thank you!

I'm not a expert on Mexico documents. But from my experience just go ahead and upload your police certificate when its available to you, it will show in the CEAC when up uploaded it. Also I would try to upload and submit everything all together as fast as possible before any of the documents expire before you submit everything for review. 

Here is the official Department of State list of civil documents you need depending on country. Here's for Mexico. If you click Police, Court, Prison Records it will tell you exactly what documents you need to submit and information on Police Certificates. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Mexico.html

Also read the checklist here for U.S. Consulate General Ciudad Juarez, Mexico - CDJ. I do not know which consulate you are interviewing at though. But it might be the same information. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/CDJ-Ciudad-Juarez.html

It says here on the website:

If you are older than 18 years of age: The original police certificate from your country of current residence and countries of previous residence. Police records from Mexico are only available to individuals 18 years of age and older. Applicants who lived in Mexico for six months or more since the age of 18 are required to obtain a state police record (Carta or Certificado de No Antecedentes) from the State Police (Fiscalía General del Estado). If the state record is unavailable, you must submit a federal police record (Carta de No Antecedentes Penales) from the Dirección General de Ejecución de Sanciones, Comisión Nacional de Seguridad. Police records from the local town or city hall are not acceptable. Please view information online on how to apply for these documents.

If you lived in any other country besides Mexico and the United States for 12 months or more since age 16, you must submit a police certificate from that country. You can find information on when a certificate is required on our website.

If you answer affirmatively to the following three questions, you must bring a new or more recent police certificate to the interview:

1. You are older than 16 years;
2. You obtained a police certificate and submitted it to the NVC more than one year ago; and
3. You still live in the country that issued the police certificate.

I hope this helps. Best of luck :) 

Edited by OrihimeandIchigo

On 8/7/2020 at 1:06 PM, Soo Lee said:

Thank you!

For us we submit a police certification to NVC back in December 2019 but our interview is next month we were told that our police certification is only good for six month and some says 1 year. I called NVC a couple of times about the police certification they say if the police certification is expired one day before the interview it won’t be good. We applied for a new one at the moment just in case for the medical exam, Interview, and port of entry. NVC will give you one month in advance to renew any expired documents so I am sure you have lots of time...good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.