JohnSmith1234

Proof of Divorce for N-400

9 posts in this topic

I provided just the certified copy of the divorce decree for both mine and my now husbands prior marriages. So one from the USA and one from the UK. No one asked me for anything else and while I took them for my n400 interview, I wasn’t asked to show them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

If you guys have kids yes they will ask for child support and other financial agreement. I had them with me on the interview and yet I got hit with a RFE asking for these specific documents as well as proof of child support payment (checks, direct deposits, or any other verifiable source) and a notarized sworn affidavit from your ex saying you’re not in arrears. The more info you give/have ready the smoother it will be. Good luck!

15 hours ago, Undecided said:

I provided just the certified copy of the divorce decree for both mine and my now husbands prior marriages. So one from the USA and one from the UK. No one asked me for anything else and while I took them for my n400 interview, I wasn’t asked to show them.

What is a certified copy? Is it that I have to certify the document I received in mail from the court? If I file online, will just a copy do and then I'll bring the certified one to the interview?

Timeline

Hi. Certified copy is you bring the original document as well as a copy if it to a notary and he/she will notarize that copy. That’s what I did.

18 minutes ago, JohnSmith1234 said:

What is a certified copy? Is it that I have to certify the document I received in mail from the court? If I file online, will just a copy do and then I'll bring the certified one to the interview?

Original would work as well. I scanned my originals and attached them to my online application, then took the originals with me to my interview (which I wasn’t asked for).

The point I was trying to make, but not very clearly, is that a simple photocopy isn’t adequate if they do ask to see it at interview. It needs to be sufficiently official that you could use it to obtain a marriage license. If your state uses raised or embossed seals for example, you need the one with the raised or embossed seal.

In fact, I think I misspoke - a certified copy may or may not be accepted. An original one would be.

On 8/5/2020 at 12:21 PM, Undecided said:

Original would work as well. I scanned my originals and attached them to my online application, then took the originals with me to my interview (which I wasn’t asked for).

The point I was trying to make, but not very clearly, is that a simple photocopy isn’t adequate if they do ask to see it at interview. It needs to be sufficiently official that you could use it to obtain a marriage license. If your state uses raised or embossed seals for example, you need the one with the raised or embossed seal.

In fact, I think I misspoke - a certified copy may or may not be accepted. An original one would be.

But what I received in the mail from the court was already a copy. That is the stamp is not fresh. It's a copy. Isn't it weird.

Timeline

Yeah that’s fine - take that to a notary and have them notarize it. Bring both the copy you received from the court and the notarized copy with you. That’s exactly what I did.

4 hours ago, SunnyBoston said:

Yeah that’s fine - take that to a notary and have them notarize it. Bring both the copy you received from the court and the notarized copy with you. That’s exactly what I did.

Why would he need a notarized copy? All a notary can do is say “this person brought me this document and provided evidence that he was the person he said he was”. It doesn’t make it more legal or anything, just shows it’s a true copy of what was provided. If he needed two copies sure, but he doesn’t. And frankly, it’s best to avoid a notary in the middle of a pandemic unless you absolutely need one.

5 hours ago, JohnSmith1234 said:

But what I received in the mail from the court was already a copy. That is the stamp is not fresh. It's a copy. Isn't it weird.

This wasn’t from the UK was it? Because that’s basically what I had. Actually the PA one my husband had was similar. No seals or embossing or anything. 

Edited by Undecided

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.