Jump to content

Gathering supporting documents for Affidavit of support several months ahead

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone! I am new here as we are just starting our application process for K1.


Me and my USC fiance both live overseas, and he will be going home to the U.S. this month, which is also when he will mail our I-129F package. He doesn't go home too often especially now with the travel restrictions from Europe, so we would like to be able to collect as many documents we will need in the next phase for the embassy, especially the documents related to Affidavit of support. 


He will have to show proof of domicile in the U.S, and we are thinking of providing voting records, tax docs, active bank account records, valid driver's licence, valid U.S. mailing address, job applications and other ties to the local community. 


The K-1 guide says that you should start gathering documents right after NOA2 arrives. However if there are any documents that require him to physically request them when he's at home in the U.S, we are thinking of him gathering those already around the same time when he submits our I-129F. Would this be an issue, if some of the proof is dated earlier than after NOA2 arrives? For example, does the statement of deposits from the bank have to be physical letter, notarized and all? I am trying to get the hang of whether any of the supporting documents for Affidavit of support need to be actually requested in person that he needs to get while he is in the U.S.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you live together, why not consider a CR-1?


Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

    Slightly faster arrival in the US 
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-6 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.
    A denied K-1 is sent back to USCIS to expire

    Slightly slower arrival in the US 

    Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

    Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.


"What I am to be, I am now becoming" - Ben Franklin         


      :idea:MSC (National Benefits Center) I-751 filers- Please add your data :idea:                          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Id1duRRByZHJmhEzl9N25GqwzcnUyLCR4e4N9W6zGLg/edit#gid=0


Retired 20 year US Air Force Missileer (Retired E-8)

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...