Lelly

I- 134 Affidavit of Support and new job

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

So my fiance is starting a new job in July and his letter of employment states that the job is for one year (he is a teacher and it states it is for the 2020/2021 school year). His annual income will be well above the income requirements for our household size. Because it states it is for only one year, is that an issue? Should we get a joint sponsor? I am still waiting on NOA2 and my interview will be in Sydney, Australia. But if a joint sponsor is needed I want to have those conversations ahead of time. Also, his annual income stated on this new employment letter will be slightly lower than what was on his tax return/ transcript from last year when he was in a higher paid job. Is this a problem? Do we need paystubs at the interview (we may not have many depending on timing)? Thanks in advance! 

Could be an issue when it comes time for the I-864 and AOS.  If he thinks it is unlikely that he will easily get a job after this one, it is not a bad idea to line up a joint sponsor well in advance.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

Could be an issue when it comes time for the I-864 and AOS.  If he thinks it is unlikely that he will easily get a job after this one, it is not a bad idea to line up a joint sponsor well in advance.

Generally the school will offer a new contract for the new school year each year (and this current school wants him to stay beyond this next year). And that is a good point about AOS stage and where we might be with his contracts (although it will be the same story that it will only say it is for one year, it's just  the way they do the employment contracts at schools there). But if there is close to a year of employment being offered at the time of interview is that generally OK for just him to sponsor me? 

1 minute ago, Lelly said:

Generally the school will offer a new contract for the new school year each year (and this current school wants him to stay beyond this next year). And that is a good point about AOS stage and where we might be with his contracts (although it will be the same story that it will only say it is for one year, it's just  the way they do the employment contracts at schools there). But if there is close to a year of employment being offered at the time of interview is that generally OK for just him to sponsor me? 

Yes, because the focus is on current income, rather than future or past.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Yes, because the focus is on current income, rather than future or past.

Sorry one more question based on that answer. Is there an issue then if we provide his last tax transcripts/ tax return as supporting evidence and it is a bit higher than the annual income we will now be declaring with his new job? Last year he was on a higher salary so it won't match exactly (both above the income requirements though).

1 minute ago, Lelly said:

Sorry one more question based on that answer. Is there an issue then if we provide his last tax transcripts/ tax return as supporting evidence and it is a bit higher than the annual income we will now be declaring with his new job? Last year he was on a higher salary so it won't match exactly (both above the income requirements though).

Should not be an issue at all.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.