Miwa

Interview at KL Consular, Malaysia

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hi guys!

I passed and I should be able to get my passport back together with my visa on Friday (assuming that I can get time off from work for that).

My experience for the interview was way more positive than the documents check stage. Anyway, for the benefit of those who will be undergoing the interview process in Malaysia, I shall post what I can remember of my experience there.

Since my interview was at 1.30pm, I reached the consular at 1.10pm and promptly got myself in. The guards, as in the morning, were very friendly and this time round, I already know that I must hand in my cellphone and car key which I did.

Went in to the processing area and was told to wait. No getting of numbers this time as you would have your earlier number with you. The same people who are undergoing the same visa process (2 with husbands in US, 1 couple for green card) were there waiting too.

However, at 2pm, when they started work, they processed some other applicants stuffs but of what, I don't know. There were some US citizens at the consular getting their things done too.

Finally, at 2.30pm, they called my number (I was first because I went really early in the morning). I was pleasantly surprised to get the same consular officer that I did when I went for my social visit pass. He is much friendlier compared to the earlier guy and asked how am I. I replied that i was nervous. He laughed and said, "I don't bite. In fact, none of us bite".

Well, anyway, I was quite nervous by then. Can't remember the exact sequence of questions asked. However, the following questions were asked:

- How did you meet your fiance?

- How long have you known your fiance?

- Tell me about your relationship with him

- What does he do for a living? Describe what exactly he does

- Has he gone to college? Which college?

- Tell me more about where he's from (from birth till now)

- (I told them I was there for Christmas) How are his parents like? Do they like you?

- (showed them a picture taken during Christmas) Identify the people in this picture

- (My FSIL is a Japanese who went there on the same k-1 visa) Who is she? How long has she been there?

- What do you plan to do when you get there? (I am an investment banker, replied that i will like do the same, he said, "I am not worried about you, bankers can get jobs any where!")

He returned my pictures to me (the only thing I submitted as evidence of relationship), kept all the forms, police certificatte, copy of birth certificate and translation, fiance's affidavit of support which came with his letter from employer, 3 salary slips and 1 year tax return. By the way, they scrutinised the evidence for his affidavit of support quite a bit (took some time).

They cancelled my social visit pass (ouch!) and told me that everything looks fine and they will have to keep my passport for a while. I asked till when, and they asked me to return on friday to collect the passport. They did not officially said that I obtained my visa but from the "everything looks fine" statement and that they are keeping my passport for the next few days and did not asked for any more documents, I assume that I passed.

The entire interview took about 15 mins.

But I won't be moving till end May... have loads of things to do in the meanwhile.

Good luck to the rest of you on your visa journey!

From

Miwa's fiancee

Been waiting for your post! ( yes I was waiting nervously too! )

Congrats again! I feel happy for you. :)

And thnx for all the tips!

Our K1 Journey

29th November 2005.....Filed I-129F (day 1)

7th December 2005.......NOA1 (days 8)

6th March 2006.............NOA2 (days 97)

16th May 2006..............Interview date (Approved!) (days 168)

24th May 2006..............US POE (days 176)

2nd June 2006..............Marriage! (days 185)

Our AOS Journey

1st August 2006.............Filed AOS (day 1)

8th August 2006.............NOA (days 7)

21st August 2006............RFE (days 20)

22nd August 2006...........Biometrics Appointment (days 21)

8th September 2006........Case transfered to CSC! (days 38)

28th September 2006......AOS approved! (days 58)

30th September 2006......Welcome letter Received! (days 60)

2nd October 2006............Green Card arrives!!!! (days 62)

6th January 2007.............Relegious Ceremony in Malaysia

Our I-751 Journey

16th August 2008.............Filed I-751 Removing condition (day 1)

18th August 2008.............NOA and Check Cashed(day 3)

9th September 2008.............Biometrics(day 25)

12th December 2008...........Approved.Card production ordered (day 119)

19th December 2008...........Green Card arrives!!!!No mistake!(day 126)

NO MORE USCIS FOR THE NEXT 10 YEARS!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Congratulation and thanks for sharing the experience.

Service Center : Nebraska Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-129F Sent : 2005-10-04

I-129F NOA1 : 2005-10-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2005-11-15

case forwarded to HCMC : 2005-12-11

Pack 3: lost in the mail

Pack 3 picked up @ window: 2006-1-20

Pack 3 sent: 2006-2-10

Pack 4 received: 2006-3-23

Interview: 2006-4-13

K3 Interview: 2007-7-6

Timeline

oh yeah. I left out the part where the Consular Officer got all serious and asked, " Do you realise what this visa entails? This is a life long thing where you intend to stay in US after moving there and getting married there. It is a permanent thing. Are you aware of the implications. It is FOREVER."

I was like "d-oh, why would I have gone through all the trouble to get a k-1 when I already have my other visitor's visa that's valid for 10 years if I don't intend to stay in the states?" Of course, being the good girl I was, I smiled and said, "Yes."

He warned me further, "This means you are going to US and get married and stay there. This is not for the case whereby you get married there and come back here."

That part was cute!

From;

Miwa's fiancee

Timeline
If they take your passport and tell you to come back on friday, it's more than likely you'll have your visa.

Yup, that's what I though too. But Miwa is pretty nervous about the entire thing. I am not able to collect my passport tomorrow (Friday) and he's pretty antsy about it :lol:

"They didn't say that you passed!"

I am a mean fiancee =)

Miwa's fiancee

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.