October 4, 2022 - Waiver docs complete 

December 8, 2022 - FR by DOS 

December 15, 2022 -  I-612 Case accepted by USCIS 

December 16, 2022 - Case received at another USCIS office 

December 22, 2022 - USCIS Notice received in the mail 

January 10, 2023 - Case approved by USCIS 

January 18, 2023 - Received approval notice in the mail 

• 4 weeks later...

I gave up checking for FR after checking almost every day since April 2022. Then I found out last week a lot of progress happened after I decided not to check anymore ☺️

My timeline:

April 7, 2022 - DS-3035 Package Received by DOS
September 13, 2022 - NOS Received by DOS
October-December 2022 - Emailed DOS 4 times, received standard reply from DOS
January 3-10, 2023 - Contacted Congressman to send inquiry on the basis of 'out of processing time' and received standard reply from DOS
February 01, 2023 - Favorable Recommendation
February 08, 2023 - Form I-612 accepted by USCIS
February 09, 2023 - Form I-612 received at another USCIS office

On 2/21/2023 at 2:23 PM, hudsonwinter said:

I gave up checking for FR after checking almost every day since April 2022. Then I found out last week a lot of progress happened after I decided not to check anymore ☺️

My timeline:

January 3-10, 2023 - Contacted Congressman to send inquiry on the basis of 'out of processing time' and received standard reply from DOS

Why was your NOS updated so long after you submitted the docs to DOS? Was it your home country's embassy that did not send NOS in time? 

On 2/21/2023 at 2:23 PM, hudsonwinter said:

My timeline:

Hello! I’m new to this forum. What congressman did you contact? I’ve ready other posts regarding this, just curious as I am also waiting for my waiver to be approved. Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, my boyfriend submitted all his documents in October, NOS received Nov 1. We contacted the Congressperson in January and they got a general response saying it can take up to 16 weeks. Now it has been 5 months and we got no response. His case is relatively straightforward, he is a physician and was a research fellow without any government scholarship. Our friends with similar cases got favorable recommendations. Anyone with a similar situation of this taking so long?

image.png.c53dd92741457f76861aa9d53b6b226e.png

5 hours ago, is930 said:

Hi all, my boyfriend submitted all his documents in October, NOS received Nov 1. We contacted the Congressperson in January and they got a general response saying it can take up to 16 weeks. Now it has been 5 months and we got no response. His case is relatively straightforward, he is a physician and was a research fellow without any government scholarship. Our friends with similar cases got favorable recommendations. Anyone with a similar situation of this taking so long?

image.png.c53dd92741457f76861aa9d53b6b226e.png

It took me 8 months and 3 weeks to get FR from DOS despite having a pretty straightforward case. No one could tell how cases are being processed, but I would say, its most likely based on country of origin. However you have to keep waiting for few more weeks, although this can be nerve-wracking. They will definitely process the case and the FR will be obtained. 

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, 84ramsxxx said:

Hi,

I have been waiting for my J1 visa waiver approval, below is my timeline. could anyone please let me know if their case has approved if their timeline closely matching with my mine or any suggestion to make it expedited.

Thank you and looking forward to some impetusimage.thumb.png.7814a5393a24ebb29c2b828df316c539.png

Hmm it’s taking a long time for yours. I applied 15 sept 22 and got it oct 5th 22. 
my husband applied sept 22 and got his in December. 
Try to send an email to them asking. It’s over 6 months and normally doesn’t take that long. 
good luck 

5 hours ago, 84ramsxxx said:

Hi,

I have been waiting for my J1 visa waiver approval, below is my timeline. could anyone please let me know if their case has approved if their timeline closely matching with my mine or any suggestion to make it expedited.

Thank you and looking forward to some impetusimage.thumb.png.7814a5393a24ebb29c2b828df316c539.png

Hi @84ramsxxx it’s really taking long for you. 
You should only wait for 3 months and if u do not get any answer start emailing them. In my case I had to send them my documents thrice (2 times hard copies and once email them the documents because they lost it). They do reply emails but after a month. Though their database showed that they received my documents and deducted fees from the account still they could not find my documents so they told me resend. After that they said that  they have not received the NOS from the DC so I had to contact the concerned department twice ( they shared the letter with them 3 times). Still I had to chase them for a month, again, they told me to share all my documents via email. Finally, they processed and sent an approved letter the very next day. 

I would suggest you to do following: 

1) contact the congressman of ur county and share the details and request them to contact the uscis on your behalf and expedite 
2) Email them asap 

Hope this helps. 
Regards, 

Rims 

Hello Rims,

Thank you for your prompt response, yes, I do contact our local congressman and below is email reply from Waiver Review Division to congressman, but worrying little bit, whether I will receive FR in time or not?

Thank you for contacting 212(e) Waiver Congressional Inquiries.

The Waiver Review Division is working to process xxx. Processing times for waiver recommendations by the Department of State, Waiver Review Division vary depending on the basis under which the applicant requests a waiver of the two-year home-country physical presence requirement.  The processing time of twelve to sixteen weeks for No Objection cases is an estimated timeframe and sometimes can take longer.  The processing time for applications begins only when all required documents have been received.  The requests are taken in order of receipt. 

Once a recommendation has been made, Dr. xxx’s case will be electronically forwarded to U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) Vermont Service Center (VSC) where Dr. xxx’s J-1 waiver eligibility will be determined.  We assure you that this request will be processed as soon as possible.  Dr. XXX  may continue to monitor the status of the request by going to https://j1visawaiverrecommendation.state.gov/ and using case number.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.