hharry16

J1 waiver 2020 NOS update timeline

2,014 posts in this topic

On 8/24/2022 at 6:58 PM, Pinguina said:

Thanks for the reply, my friend!

My university told me that it is not common nowadays to wait for USCIS final approval, so we are going to file with premium processing next week and hope that USCIS can find the case and they won't send a request for evidence. It seems like there is no common practice here and every lawyer prefers to do something different. I'm hoping it all works out!

Hi Pinguina,

Thanks for your advice! Do you have any updates, i.e., did you get your H1B approved prior to the waiver approval? My hospital is going to file H1B this week, just a few days before my J1 grace period ends. Pretty stressful!

Thanks!

Adrian

13 hours ago, ctbply said:

Hi Pinguina,

Thanks for your advice! Do you have any updates, i.e., did you get your H1B approved prior to the waiver approval? My hospital is going to file H1B this week, just a few days before my J1 grace period ends. Pretty stressful!

Thanks!

Adrian

Hi Adrian!

My university filed for H1-B with premium processing last week (and they were able to include the receipt number from USCIS), but we have not heard back yet. I am not too concerned because we had the long weekend. I'm hopeful that we will hear back this week!

19 minutes ago, marketingc said:

Hi Pinguina,

Did you get approved? I have the similar timeline: 

Uscis Receipt: Aug 31

My university is not sure whether we should apply. Ds expires on Oct 1. 

Yes! Got email approval notice on Friday (took 8 days). Now we are waiting for official approval on the mail. The waiver case on USCIS has not changed status since they received it on august 24. I hope your uni decides to apply. Do they have a lawyer firm? The lawyers working for my uni were super sure about what to do

On 9/13/2022 at 11:26 AM, Snore22 said:

Hi everyone, 

based on your experiences, how long is the shortest time for Dos include documentation received in the system? 

In my case, it took 10 weeks after the chek has been cashed. The No objection statement appeared very late though. 

Edited by RajG

Hi All,

Just wanted to post my timeline here in case it benefits anyone out there who is waiting for J1 waiver through NOS.

- 4/6/22 - Application (DS3035, money order, etc) was delivered via USPS 

- 4/20/22 - NOS letter was delivered via USPS (from embassy, it took 2 weeks to process)

- 4/21/22 - Application marked as received on the DOS website (excluding NOS)

- 5/15/22 (a Sunday!!) - NOS marked as received

- 6/27/22 - Congressional inquiry (a senator's office) - DOS responded with generic language

- 8/10/22 - DOS issued favorable recommendation

= 126 days (18 weeks) from delivery by USPS

= 111 days (16 weeks) from application was received by DOS 

= 87 days (12.5 weeks) from NOS receipt

- 8/13/22 - Received FR copy in the mail

- 8/16/22 - USCIS received I-612 from DOS

- 8/19/22 - Received USCIS I797C receipt notice

- 9/6/22 - USCIS approved the waiver

= 158 days (22 weeks) from delivery by USPS

= 138 days (20 weeks) from application was received by DOS 

= 114 days (16 weeks) from NOS receipt

= 21 days (3 weeks) from USCIS receipt of I612

- 9/12/22 - Received paper copy from USCIS in the mail

I am grateful for this community and support. Please don't give up and always keep the faith!

Edited by ctbply
typo

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

@ctbply   Thanks very much, that's a very good post. I have a question, how do you know USCIS received I-612 from DOS? Was that the date on I-797 receipt you got on the mail or did you receive an email ? I have got FR on 09/07 and wonder what will be the next step.

10 minutes ago, JBRE22022 said:

@ctbply   Thanks very much, that's a very good post. I have a question, how do you know USCIS received I-612 from DOS? Was that the date on I-797 receipt you got on the mail or did you receive an email ? I have got FR on 09/07 and wonder what will be the next step.

Thanks! Yes, and I entered the case number onto the egov.uscis.gov website so I could keep track. Hope you get it soon! Are you applying for the EB2NIW too (saw it in your profile). Good luck!

Hi everyone, 

I sent were delivered by usps to Dos September 3 

my embassy sent the NOS electronically on Sept 9 ( I thought that NOS needed to be send by mail but the said they just follow the protocol which is electronically. Does anybody know anything about this?) 

Documents appear in the system Sept 16 ( only 13 days after they received- but NOS is not in the system yet). I saw many of you asking the embassy to resend NOS, when should I be concerned and ask my embassy to resend? And I know my docs went to system too fast and normally this is not what happen. 

Thanks everyone! 

2 hours ago, Snore22 said:

Hi everyone, 

I sent were delivered by usps to Dos September 3 

my embassy sent the NOS electronically on Sept 9 ( I thought that NOS needed to be send by mail but the said they just follow the protocol which is electronically. Does anybody know anything about this?) 

Documents appear in the system Sept 16 ( only 13 days after they received- but NOS is not in the system yet). I saw many of you asking the embassy to resend NOS, when should I be concerned and ask my embassy to resend? And I know my docs went to system too fast and normally this is not what happen. 

Thanks everyone! 

I had a similar case as you. In my case, I first contacted the DOS via email asking them about the update of the NOS and also attaching the NOS I got from my home country embassy. They updated the NOS after 24 hours and backdated the NOS to reflect the date my documents were received. In sum, you should first write the DOS. If they did not receive it, definitely they would let you know. 

4 hours ago, MpetN said:

I had a similar case as you. In my case, I first contacted the DOS via email asking them about the update of the NOS and also attaching the NOS I got from my home country embassy. They updated the NOS after 24 hours and backdated the NOS to reflect the date my documents were received. In sum, you should first write the DOS. If they did not receive it, definitely they would let you know. 

Thanks! I'll check with DOS first. Did you attached the third party barcode when you email DOS or was just the NOS? 

Did you have your waiver already or how's your timeline so far? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.