hharry16

J1 waiver 2020 NOS update timeline

2,014 posts in this topic

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

All my documents except NOS were mailed on July 06 and were acknowledged as received on Sept 07,2021. NOS just got updated on the website as received on Sept 06. Hoping to get the waiver by Jan!

J1_update2.PNG

21 minutes ago, J1_Visa waiver said:

Can any one tell me what is sponsor views? why its required for J1 scholars? My case just updated today sponsor views (received) after  a long wait...

Who was your sponsor during your J1 program? 
My understanding is that the DoS sent a request to your sponsor asking them whether they should grant you a waiver or not. Some people in this forum have contacted their sponsor asking for the waiver. I'd do the same, so the sponsor knows they'll receive this request from the DoS.
Disclaimer: I'm not an attorney, I'm just trying to understand the waiver process as best as I can, so I'm aware of the steps and possibly can help others! Good luck!!! 

1 hour ago, J1_Visa waiver said:

Can any one tell me what is sponsor views? why its required for J1 scholars? My case just updated today sponsor views (received) after  a long wait...

DOS requests sponsor views whenever the J1 scholar received any sort of government funding. As @fguazuma described they will send their opinion to DOS on whether you should be granted the waiver or not. Each sponsor has its own rules so if possible try to contact your sponsor to both understand their rules and speed up the process. Good luck! 

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
58 minutes ago, erdpin said:

What is the section "other" here? Thank you!

I dont know exactly but I sent some evidence to support an error in my name in my previous passport.

57 minutes ago, Cris Santos said:

DOS requests sponsor views whenever the J1 scholar received any sort of government funding. As @fguazuma described they will send their opinion to DOS on whether you should be granted the waiver or not. Each sponsor has its own rules so if possible try to contact your sponsor to both understand their rules and speed up the process. Good luck! 

Thanks @fguazuma and @vabhi6. My program sponsor is University of Chicago.  I was told Fulbright Scholarships are the govt funded one. Correct me if I am wrong!  My case is updated in the DOS yesterday - Sponsor views received. Do I need to do anything further?

Edited by J1_Visa waiver
typo

5 minutes ago, J1_Visa waiver said:

Thanks @fguazuma and @vabhi6. My program sponsor is University of Chicago.  I was told Fulbright Scholarships are the govt funded one. Correct me if I am wrong!  My case is updated in the DOS yesterday - Sponsor views received. Do I need to do anything further?

Fulbright is the most common but there are others (eg NIH, NASA, FDA, etc). It could have been a mistake but since it says “received” I don’t think you need to do anything at this point 

1 hour ago, J1_Visa waiver said:

Just for curiosity, what do you see on your DS-2019 as the "program sponsor"? University of Chicago or the agency that actually funded the program? Thanks!

5 minutes ago, fguazuma said:

Just for curiosity, what do you see on your DS-2019 as the "program sponsor"? University of Chicago or the agency that actually funded the program? Thanks!

5 minutes ago, fguazuma said:

Univ of Chicago

Update on my case  -

I got Favourable Recommendation on my application today. I had mailed my documents end of May and everything except NOS was updated on the portal on July 6. I emailed three times to update my NOS, no reply.  My embassy sent the NOS twice. The NOS showed up on Oct 27 ( my last email to DHS was on Oct. 21 ). Favourable recommendation on Nov 10.

I am now awaiting the approval notice and receipt from USCIS. Best of luck everyone!

1 hour ago, cocomomo122 said:

Update on my case  -

I got Favourable Recommendation on my application today. I had mailed my documents end of May and everything except NOS was updated on the portal on July 6. I emailed three times to update my NOS, no reply.  My embassy sent the NOS twice. The NOS showed up on Oct 27 ( my last email to DHS was on Oct. 21 ). Favourable recommendation on Nov 10.

I am now awaiting the approval notice and receipt from USCIS. Best of luck everyone!

@cocomomo122 So nice to hear that! Congrats!!
@J1_Visa waiver it seems that this "OHSU- public academic health center" is a state-funded institution, if that's the case, I think you're good. I think it's hard to get a waiver when you had a federal agency/government sponsoring you. By the way, did anyone here get a favorable recommendation on a program sponsored by a "State University"? This is my situation, my program sponsor was a "State University".

Thanks and good luck!!!

13 minutes ago, fguazuma said:

@cocomomo122 So nice to hear that! Congrats!!
@J1_Visa waiver it seems that this "OHSU- public academic health center" is a state-funded institution, if that's the case, I think you're good. I think it's hard to get a waiver when you had a federal agency/government sponsoring you. By the way, did anyone here get a favorable recommendation on a program sponsored by a "State University"? This is my situation, my program sponsor was a "State University".

Thanks and good luck!!!

@fguazuma  You're right. But I have already been waiting for more than five months(24 weeks) without any updates all the documents to be received and reflected on their DOS site.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.