1,027 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Same in Colorado, the DMV mails all that stuff but it does arrive. I wasn't as compliant with the law as you are though and started training my husband on how to drive as soon as he came to the US. By the time it was time to take his driving test, he was set to go and we didn't have to wait much longer. But, you didn't hear from me. :luv:

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

We got our biometrics notice yesterday. Margarita and Daniela are scheduled for January 23 here in Milwaukee. I didn't expect one for Daniela. When filing for AOS we paid $80 for Margarita's biometrics, but nothing for Daniela because she is only 9. They will both go to the appointment because they both received seperate notices, but I'm not sure Daniela has to go.

Have a great weekend everyone

John

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I'd take her...

Hope the snow isn't as bad as its been here in Chicago... non-stop for 24 hours now.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Timeline
I'd take her...

Hope the snow isn't as bad as its been here in Chicago... non-stop for 24 hours now.

The snow kind of missed us. We only got like 3 inches. I was happy to see so little

Timeline

It's snowing pretty heavily here in Denver today. I even had to stay home but I'm not complaining. Hal, hopefully this batch won't hit Chicago any time soon. :devil:

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

Hal,

We're planning a day trip to Chicago. Either the Shed Aquarium or Museum of Science and Industry, not sure which yet. Anyhow, could you recomend a Colombian grocery store and/or restaurant in Chicago? We have had little luck here in Milwaukee. There is one Colombian bakery with great pasteles and bunuelos, but that is about it. The latin grocery stores here cater mainly to Mexican foods. We have been buying some things form virtualtienda.com but things on the site seem a little pricey.

Thanks

john

Timeline

Hey John...

Depends how you plan on getting around. MSI is in Hyde Park around 57th street and a bit further south of the Museum Campus and Shedd along Lake Shore Drive. In this cold I assume you will want to drive...

As for a grocery store... I've tried La Unica at 1515 W Devon. Its clearcut opposite to MSI close to Loyola's Main campus on the North Side. They have everything from chorizo, papa criolla to buñuelo mix, flours, bocadillo, arequipe, Hipinto, Postobón, Aguila (No CLUB COLOMBIA grrr!!), a couple of aguardiente brands... etc. Prices are not the cheapest but I think they're more economical than online stores.

Have a great trip and stay safe with the snow.

Timeline
Hey John...

Depends how you plan on getting around. MSI is in Hyde Park around 57th street and a bit further south of the Museum Campus and Shedd along Lake Shore Drive. In this cold I assume you will want to drive...

As for a grocery store... I've tried La Unica at 1515 W Devon. Its clearcut opposite to MSI close to Loyola's Main campus on the North Side. They have everything from chorizo, papa criolla to buñuelo mix, flours, bocadillo, arequipe, Hipinto, Postobón, Aguila (No CLUB COLOMBIA grrr!!), a couple of aguardiente brands... etc. Prices are not the cheapest but I think they're more economical than online stores.

Have a great trip and stay safe with the snow.

Thanks Hal. We're not going until Feb 3. Daniela has the day off from school. We decided that we're going to the aquarium on Friday, staying at a hotel Friday night, and doing the museum Saturday. Margarita will be thrilled when I tell her about La Unica.

Have a great day

john

Timeline

Hope she appreciates the place, John. I'm not that crazy about it since I found some Mexican grocery stores closer to home with Postobón, Arepa and Buñuelo mixes... even Pandeyuca... etc etc... and we are avoiding most fatty foods now so its a no-no for chorizo etc for the time being.

Hope that weekend warms up because its getting stupid-cold in these here parts.

Timeline

Hey guys,

So i got the NOAs on the I485, 765 and the appointment for biometrics on feb 2 2009. The messed up thing is that i told them just how i had done on a previous application to send the mail to a PO BOX, because we might be moving soon. Sure enough, they sent it to the regular home address. Thank God we were still here and got the paperwork. Do you guys know if the change of address by calling them on the customer service line is good enough? Does it take long for them to send correspondence to the new address? It's pretty weird because last time i told them they did send mail to the PO BOX but this time i guess they didn't feel like reading my important notes blah. One last question, the case status online page it says that the application is at the National Benefits Center right now, and i tried checking for processing times but it only gives the processing times for the EAD. Do you guys know where the actual I485 will be processed? Does it get sent to a Service Center or local office? I'm pretty confused about that because on the notice it said something like if you want to check processing times at your local office do it online or something like that. Thanks for the help guys.

-Harold

Timeline
Hey guys,

So i got the NOAs on the I485, 765 and the appointment for biometrics on feb 2 2009. The messed up thing is that i told them just how i had done on a previous application to send the mail to a PO BOX, because we might be moving soon. Sure enough, they sent it to the regular home address. Thank God we were still here and got the paperwork. Do you guys know if the change of address by calling them on the customer service line is good enough? Does it take long for them to send correspondence to the new address? It's pretty weird because last time i told them they did send mail to the PO BOX but this time i guess they didn't feel like reading my important notes blah. One last question, the case status online page it says that the application is at the National Benefits Center right now, and i tried checking for processing times but it only gives the processing times for the EAD. Do you guys know where the actual I485 will be processed? Does it get sent to a Service Center or local office? I'm pretty confused about that because on the notice it said something like if you want to check processing times at your local office do it online or something like that. Thanks for the help guys.

-Harold

Harold, if the mailing address you have on your AOS is different now you will need to mail them an AR-11 (found online) and an I-865 for each sponsor. Follow the mailing instructions of the I-865 word for word, that way you'll have evidence of having changed your mailing address with them because if they mail your wife her green card to the wrong address they may ask you to file to replace the card and that's another $300 and some dollars.

Your wife's AOS petition will eventually be sent to one of the service centers for processing and you'll get word from the USCIS on that. You can also give a few more weeks for the petition number to appear on line so you can keep track of it.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

Andrea,

I was wondering what has been going on with your husband's case. Any good news? :huh:

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

Hi everyone,

We had a good week. Margarita got her license on Wednesday. She drove for the first time ever the previous Monday. We did an intensive 10 day training course. I might have to start moonlighting as a driving instructor hahaha. Thursday was Margarita's first day of ESL, and she drove all by herself. So far so good. She says she is a lot more relaxed when I am not sitting next to her in the car. Friday we had biometrics. Super fast and super easy. The people at the Milwaukee office are very nice. Now we have our fingers crossed that we don't get a RFE.

Have a great weekend

John

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

A little off the AOS subject but this is where the "salts of the sea" are so I thought I would post here. If you think it would be better to post in another section let me know.

Paola and I did the K1 visa. So I am not real informed on getting married in Colombia.

A friend of mine is getting married to a gal in Panama. She is a Panamamainan citizen. I know the requirements may be a little different but, for those of you that were married in Colombia, what all was required? I went to the Panama Embassy site, they have a list of requirements that does not seem complete. No mention of divorce docs from past marraiges. Some medical stuff required and proof of identity but that is about it. Seems to easy. Thanks for your help.

March 14, 2006.....We meet, spend the next 2 weeks togeather

May 2006............ I go to see Paola for 5 days and propose marriage

Jan. 24th, 2007....I-129F sent to CSC

Feb. 2nd, 2007.....CSC receives NOA1

June 6, 2007........I-129F Approved

June 6, 2007........Cleared NVC and sent to Bogota

June 12, 2007......I receive packet 3 from our lawyer

June 14, 2007..... I send Packet 3 to Paola via FEDEX (2 day delivery)

June 25, 2007......Paola receives Packet 3 (9 days late)

July 3, 2007.........Packet 3 Fedex to Embassy in Bogota

July 5, 2007.........Packet 3 arrives at the embassy in Bogota

July 19, 2007.......Called NVC, interveiw scheduled for Aug. 17, 2007

July 31, 2007.......Paola goes to US Embassy in Bogota and gets Pkt 4 in person

Aug. 13, 2007.....Lab exam

Aug. 15, 2007.....Medical exam

Aug. 17, 2007.....INTERVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Failed cuz of a missing doc. :(

Sept. 27, 2007....Second interview date!! APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct. 7, 2007........Paola is here in the US!!

Oct. 23, 2007......MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct. 30, 2007......Mailed AOS docs

Nov. 27, 2007.....Recieved "Notice of Receipt" of AOS docs

Dec. 20, 2007.....Biometrics appointment

Feb. 7, 2008.......Recieve AP and permit to work

Feb. 19, 2008.....Recieve SS card

Timeline
A little off the AOS subject but this is where the "salts of the sea" are so I thought I would post here. If you think it would be better to post in another section let me know.

Paola and I did the K1 visa. So I am not real informed on getting married in Colombia.

A friend of mine is getting married to a gal in Panama. She is a Panamamainan citizen. I know the requirements may be a little different but, for those of you that were married in Colombia, what all was required? I went to the Panama Embassy site, they have a list of requirements that does not seem complete. No mention of divorce docs from past marraiges. Some medical stuff required and proof of identity but that is about it. Seems to easy. Thanks for your help.

Buck,

Each country is different so he needs to check with local authorities to see what is needed to get married in Panama. As far as getting married in Colombia this is what they need:

- Photocopy of birth certificate issued in the last 3 months.

- Photocopy of passport

- Declaration of bachelorhood

- Marriage certificate of any previous marriages

- Sworn affidavit specifying if any children were born during previous marriage(s)

- Divorce decree or death certificate if previously married.

All documents or copies need to be either original or certified copies, translated and apostilled.

If he wants to get married in a Catholic church other documents will be needed.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.