jynxNdragnfly

Affidavits as evidence

15 posts in this topic

I was just wondering if anyone else sent in affidavits from third parties to support the 'marital relationship'. If so who wrote them for you and what did they write in it.

Still trying to get my pile o' paperwork assembled for quick send out prior to the fee increase.

:)

jynx - Canadian Chick

dragnfly - American Dude

July-07-07 - Married in Las Vegas

August-07-08 - CR-1 Visa activated

July-17-10 - Approval notice in mail, Conditions removed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

I had 3 friends as well as my mother write affidavits stating that they had met my fiance and had spent time with him while he was here. They included how they knew me and my family and stated places which we had gone which coincided with my pictures that I submitted. They also mentioned how happy they were with my engagement and were enjoying with the wedding plans. I hope this helps. I haven't even gotten an NOA1 yet since my application was received 9 days ago, so I don't know how much these affidavits really help. I guess I'll just have to find out! Good luck.

There is a time for everything....all in God's time.

3-11-06: Met online

4-4-07: Engaged:)

5-31-07: K-1 package mailed

6-5-07: Signature of receipt at TSC

6-12-07: NOA1 notice mailed from CSC

6-15-07: Check clears bank

6-16-07: Bank shows that check has been cashed.

6-18-07: Obtained receipt number off the back of the check and registered on the USCIS site

6-18-07: USCIS portfolio states packet received at CSC on June 12 and notice has been mailed

7-12-07: Touch due to phone call to USCIS

7-16-07: Received NOA1 hardcopy

9-25-07: Called USCIS

9-26-07: Touch-probably due to phone call yesterday

10-29-07: NOA2!!

10-30-07: Touch

10-31-07: Touch

11-1-07: Touch

11-11-07: Touch

12-28-07: Medical

2-19-08: Interview date- Passed!

4-26-08: US entry in Dallas, Texas

5-17-08: Wedding date--Finally Married!

3dflagsdotcom_safri_2fawm.gifJonathan and Kelly 3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

We had 3: my husband's supervisor (american), my landlord (german) and my neighbor (american). They said how they met us, what they thing about us like a married couple. All 3 in english and only signed in original, no notarized etc.

Good luck :thumbs:

"Daca voi nu ma vreti, io va vreau"

DCF Frankfurt Germany

01/12/2007 I-130 filed in person at the Consulate in Frankfurt

01/17/2007 Faxed the checklist to the Immigrant Visa Unit in Frankfurt

03/29/2007 Got letter from USCIS to provide evidence that our marriage is bona fide

04/02/2007 Sent to USCIS lots of evidence

05/03/2007 I have an unofficial "PETITION APPROVED" ...waiting for confirmation from Consulate

05/07/2007 Received email from USCIS ROME confirming that our petition was approved (why Rome? because we complained to the District Office Rome about the Sub-Office Frankfurt..it took too long for our petition to be approved)...now waiting for the interview letter from the Consulate

05/18/2007 E-mail from IV Frankfurt, our interview was scheduled for May 29th

05/19/2007 Packet 4 in the mail: ja ja ja interview letter

05/29/2007 Interview at 7.30 a.m. APPROVED Thank you, God!

06/01/2007 Visa arrived !

06/03/2007 Mayday on the plane POE Cincinnati

Living in Maryland

06/21/2007 Welcome Notice from USCIS

06/29/2007 Applied for SSN at the local Office

07/07/2007 Green Card arrived

07/09/2007 Another 2 Welcome Letters from USCIS...God, they really love me! :D

07/20/2007 Social Security Card arrived

Living@working in Maryland :)

01/18/2009 PCS-ing to Stuttgart Germany

Feb 2009 Received letter from VSC to start removing conditions.

Getting ready the packet for Removing Conditions I-751

03/12/2009 Mailed the I-751 packet to Vermont Service Center

Filed: Timeline
We had 3: my husband's supervisor (american), my landlord (german) and my neighbor (american). They said how they met us, what they thing about us like a married couple. All 3 in english and only signed in original, no notarized etc.

Good luck :thumbs:

Really? I had no clue such a thing was needed :blink: .... at least in MTL's DCF checklist it is not mentioned, at all so I will not include anything of the sort (except maybe a couple of wedding pics and cards from family members). To the Original Poster: what type of visa are you applying for? K? I? DCF? Do tell - helps us help you!!!

L.

There was nothing in my interview checklist from MTL saying to bring any evidence of a relationship or marriage. I'm not going to worry about it too much. Maybe throw in a wedding picture and I am taking my son's BC and US passport but that's more to prove he is a US citizen and didn't need to be added to my application.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi!!

Yes, we used affidavits signed by third parties. My son (my best man), my sister, Karina's mother and her uncle all signed affidavits to testify to the fact that our marriage was "bona fide." And, on the back side of the affidavits, I copied a photo of all of us at the wedding reception with plenty of other people in the background, flowers, cake...whatever. The affidavit reads:

" I (state the name), do hereby swear and affirm that I was in attendance at the marriage ceremony of my (daughter, niece, father, brother, friend...whatever) to (state your name) on May 18, 2007 in (City & Country). Proof of my attendance is on the reverse of this affidavit...a photo of my (daughter, niece, father, brother, friend...whatever), her new husband Craig and myself taken at the wedding reception.

Sincerely,

Signature of person signing affidavit

Printed Name of person signing affidavit

Address:

City/Country:

Date of Birth:

Place of Birth:

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi...again!!! :thumbs:

Personally, I think photos speak a thousand words!! I will use them wherever they seem appropriate.

Also, We will be sending an actual Wedding Invitation!!!!! Ours clearly shows us with BIG smiles on our faces

and was taken on our "Noche de Compromiso." ( A really cool tradition...it was sensational!!! )

Regards,

Yes, we used affidavits signed by third parties. My son (my best man), my sister, Karina's mother and her uncle all signed affidavits to testify to the fact that our marriage was "bona fide." And, on the back side of the affidavits, I copied a photo of all of us at the wedding reception with plenty of other people in the background, flowers, cake...whatever. The affidavit reads:

" I (state the name), do hereby swear and affirm that I was in attendance at the marriage ceremony of my (daughter, niece, father, brother, friend...whatever) to (state your name) on May 18, 2007 in (City & Country). Proof of my attendance is on the reverse of this affidavit...a photo of my (daughter, niece, father, brother, friend...whatever), her new husband Craig and myself taken at the wedding reception.

Sincerely,

No offence to your effort, but I don't see the whole point of an affidavit from people at your wedding. Is your legal marriage certificate not enough proof that you got married???

Filed: Timeline
No offence to your effort, but I don't see the whole point of an affidavit from people at your wedding. Is your legal marriage certificate not enough proof that you got married???

Agreed neiks - yet other consulates may have different requirements? I have no clue - but like you said, as far as MTL goes, this affidavit stuff is not necessary/required. you can bring it along (pics), but that's that.

L.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think affidavits are more to show that it's not a marriage just for the green card, seems common in certain countries that have a higher incidence of fraud or for people that haven't known each other very long. I can't imagine that's it's necessary or even desired for most CanAm couples. including them could look like a case of protesting too much.

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

I think affidavits are more to show that it's not a marriage just for the green card, seems common in certain countries that have a higher incidence of fraud or for people that haven't known each other very long. I can't imagine that's it's necessary or even desired for most CanAm couples. including them could look like a case of protesting too much.

Yes, I agree with you. I don't see the necessity for it with jynxNdrangfly situation.

Original Poster: what type of visa are you applying for? K? I? DCF? Do tell - helps us help you!!!

L.

In the subtitle for the topic I put CR-1 :)

To those concerned that the affidivaits aren't needed I will quote the following from the I-130 application as follows:

"7. What Documents Do You Need to Prove aFamily Relationship?

You have to prove that there is a family relationship betweenyou and your relative. If you are filing for:

A. A husband or wife, submit the following documentation:

1) A copy of your marriage certificate. Not a problem once we get married

2) If either you or your spouse were previously marriedsubmit copies of documents showing that all prior marriages were legally terminated. Already have them ready and waiting

3) A passport-style color photo of yourself and apassport-style color photo of your husband or wife, blah blah not a problem

4) A completed and signed Form G-325A, BiographicInformation, for you and for your husband or wife. not a problem

NOTE: In addition to the required documentation listed in 1)through 4) above, you should submit one or more of thefollowing types of documentation that may evidence that bonafides of your marriage:

1) Documentation showing joint ownership or property; or I figure if he puts me on his house in the USA then I could be denied entry on visits as I now 'own' a residence in the US though not allowed to live there yet

2) A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence; or see bold above

3) Documentation showing co-mingling of financial resources; or we don't currently share a bank account and wasn't planning on trying to get one in the US till I have a SSN

4) Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you, thepetitioner, and your spouse together; or No children

5) Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the maritalrelationship (Each affidavit must contain the full name and address, date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner ofbeneficiary, if any, and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage); or Lots of people willing to do this just wasn't exactly sure what to put in it was all

6) Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union." Not sure what else would apply here.... gonna put each other on health coverages at work, beneficiaries, etc

As you can see we're just trying to put together what 'proves' our relationship in the simplest manner possible. The affidavits are not country specific. We're currently putting together our package for the I-130 to send off. I just want to make sure we have enough to prove that there is a real marriage and it's not just for a GC. I'm going to include a couple of photos but our wedding invite wouldn't help since it's for a reception scheduled for a month after the wedding. Sorry it's so long........ Any other suggestions of 'proof' are greatly appreciated :)

jynx - Canadian Chick

dragnfly - American Dude

Sorry, if you felt I was trying to discourage you from doing it. That must have been added since I have done the I-130 b/c it wasn't required when we submitted ours and yes, it probably has changed since we first filed over a year ago in Feb 06. My sincere apologies.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

that definately wasn't in when we filed, but that was a long time ago. naturally we've married foreigners (that's pronounced fer-ner). obviously there's something wrong/criminal with us. ###### that. I'd say just get one or both sets of parents/sibs to write a quick statement that they've known both of you as a couple for xx months. If they're accepting shared finances as proof of a real marriage they obviously don't have really strict screening. If I were going to marry someone for a green card, opening a joint account would be the easiest thing to do. bullshit all of it

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Sorry, if you felt I was trying to discourage you from doing it. That must have been added since I have done the I-130 b/c it wasn't required when we submitted ours and yes, it probably has changed since we first filed over a year ago in Feb 06. My sincere apologies.

Nope didn't feel you were discouraging LOL Just wanted to point out that it was there and wanted to know what others had included in them. I'm wondering if they added because most people can't get the other 'proof' if they are living far far away as a way to 'help'.

jynx - Canadian Chick

dragnfly - American Dude

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.