dsahay

J1 exceptional hardship waiver

70 posts in this topic

On 7/1/2020 at 10:01 PM, j1hardshipwaiting said:

@dsahay Congrats on receiving a fav rec! 2 months may just be the record! Did you have US government funding? I had Fulbright Masters funding so am asking whether that would take more time? (even if expedited request has been asked through the Senator and with a very valid reason).

Congratulations! 
We still did not hear back from DOS.

-applied on May 16th, 2019. 
-USCIS updated the case status tool as it has sent my application for Non-USCIS advisory opinion on April 16th, 2020

-DOS website update as my i612/613 has been received on June 17th,2020

- j1 status expired on June 30,2020.

contacted congressman but still no update. 

so frustrated

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2020 at 5:55 PM, J1hardship said:

Congratulations! 
We still did not hear back from DOS.

-applied on May 16th, 2019. 
-USCIS updated the case status tool as it has sent my application for Non-USCIS advisory opinion on April 16th, 2020

-DOS website update as my i612/613 has been received on June 17th,2020

- j1 status expired on June 30,2020.

contacted congressman but still no update. 

so frustrated

Any updates from the DOS? 

I have a very similar timeline i612/613 received by DOS on May 13th 2020 and silence since then

Edited by dig

On 7/1/2020 at 9:01 PM, j1hardshipwaiting said:

@dsahay Congrats on receiving a fav rec! 2 months may just be the record! Did you have US government funding? I had Fulbright Masters funding so am asking whether that would take more time? (even if expedited request has been asked through the Senator and with a very valid reason).

@j1hardshipwaiting, any updates from DOS? I have a similar timeline as yours (i612/613 received May 13) and no update from DOS ever since

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, j1hardshipwaiting said:

My DOS status shows that it was last updated on August 28, 2020. Is anyone else facing the same issue?

My J1 hardship waiver case has been pending with DOS since April 29, 2020. Has anyone here received a favorable recommendation recently?

Yes same here,

Is filing a writ of mandamus an option?

I am entering the 24 weeks mark, i612/613 were sent on 4/17.

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, J1hardship said:

still no response from DOS since USCIS sent i612/i613 on april 17, 2020.

Several inquiries by myself and the congressman with no success. 

Next week is the 24th week.

Anyone with response from them?

It looks like NOS applications are being processed.

Last week, we received a standard reply (through the congress person's office) from the DOS saying that they were waiting for the sponsors views and would work on our case as soon as it is received from the sponsors. Then, the next day my status changed to show that sponsor views were received. Now, I may be on the last stage where the DOS makes a final recommendation. Do you know how long that can take? I may have to leave the country if it doesn't come by next week.

1 minute ago, j1hardshipwaiting said:

Last week, we received a standard reply (through the congress person's office) from the DOS saying that they were waiting for the sponsors views and would work on our case as soon as it is received from the sponsors. Then, the next day my status changed to show that sponsor views were received. Now, I may be on the last stage where the DOS makes a final recommendation. Do you know how long that can take? I may have to leave the country if it doesn't come by next week.

After everything is completed, the case can be deliberated and their website says 16-24 weeks for hardship. 
How are you going to return? I mean on which visa if you leave? 

6 minutes ago, J1hardship said:

After everything is completed, the case can be deliberated and their website says 16-24 weeks for hardship. 
How are you going to return? I mean on which visa if you leave? 

You mean 16-24 weeks for the DOS to make a recommendation AFTER receiving reviews from the sponsor? Wow I didn't know that it would take that long. Does your status say that they received sponsor views (if you had US government funding i.e.)?

I will most likely come back on O-1 or H-1B which ever is available at that time.

11 minutes ago, j1hardshipwaiting said:

You mean 16-24 weeks for the DOS to make a recommendation AFTER receiving reviews from the sponsor? Wow I didn't know that it would take that long. Does your status say that they received sponsor views (if you had US government funding i.e.)?

I will most likely come back on O-1 or H-1B which ever is available at that time.

I do not need sponsor views. My understanding is that after all the documents are received the processing time starts. 
You may be lucky they may process it quicker as it has been a while. 

• 7 months later...
On 9/26/2020 at 4:14 PM, J1hardship said:

I do not need sponsor views. My understanding is that after all the documents are received the processing time starts. 
You may be lucky they may process it quicker as it has been a while. 

I am still not sure if the 24 weeks clock starts after receiving i612-13 (case complete) or after they receive sponsor’s view? Do all hardship waivers request sponsor’s view? I was on Fulbright and this is my 24th week but  DoS hasn’t been updated after receiving i612-13.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.