QBHE

Please help - Notarial Certificate of Birth

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

A notarial certificate of birth was issued to me from my local Gong Zheng Chu. The names of my step dad and my mom were listed on the notary as all three of us are on the same hukou book. However, the name of my biological father (divorced in 2002) was not included on the notary. Will the Embassy accept this documentation as a birth certificate or should I get an updated one with my biological father's name on it?

Many thanks for your help!!!

Sorry adding additional facts:

NVC has accepted all documentations and I am having my interview in three days - not sure if that means I should use what I uploaded to NVC for my interview. Is there still a possibility that I will get RFE after the interview? 

Did you have an original birth certificate you brought to the notarial office?  If so, which name is listed as your father?  The notarized document is an official direct translations of original documents, it'd be a bit surprising if they entered the wrong name.

DCF CR1 filing in Guangzhou, China:

Married - 2018-09-25

I-30 submitted at Guangzhou office - 2019-06-17
I-130 approved - 2019-06-18
DS-260 Confirmation Handed to CITIC to be Delivered - 2019-11-12-2019

DS-260 Approved, received email to schedule appointment - 2019-11-20-2019

Visa Interview in Guangzhou (Approved!) 😁 2019-12-16-2019

Immigration Visa Issued 2019-12-17-2019

1 hour ago, givionte said:

Did you have an original birth certificate you brought to the notarial office?  If so, which name is listed as your father?  The notarized document is an official direct translations of original documents, it'd be a bit surprising if they entered the wrong name.

I was born before 1996 so there is no such thing as an official birth certificate. All documentations provided were hukou book along with my (and my parents) ID card. Therefore they would have no idea who my biological father is. 

Edited by QBHE

When you went to get the notarial birth certificate, did you provide any birth records from the Public Security Bureau, or a proof of birth by the Personnel Department of Work Unit?  Or did they only copy the hukou?  If the hukou only lists your stepfather, and that was what was translated on the notarial birth certificate, you may be ok, but it's possible the consulate could have concerns about your biological father if his name is mentioned on the hukou, especially since the forms ask who your father is, and that will cause a mismatch.  I haven't come across this issue before, perhaps others with more knowledge will chime in soon.  I wouldn't hesitate to contact a lawyer for a quick consultation who is up to date with immgiration laws and China, since time is limited. before your interview.

DCF CR1 filing in Guangzhou, China:

Married - 2018-09-25

I-30 submitted at Guangzhou office - 2019-06-17
I-130 approved - 2019-06-18
DS-260 Confirmation Handed to CITIC to be Delivered - 2019-11-12-2019

DS-260 Approved, received email to schedule appointment - 2019-11-20-2019

Visa Interview in Guangzhou (Approved!) 😁 2019-12-16-2019

Immigration Visa Issued 2019-12-17-2019

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.