6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hey all, 

We had our interview today (AOS from VWP/ESTA). The interview seemed to go fine - the interviewer was chatty and nice. My wife missed one question that was asking for info about me but I don't think it was a big deal (she honestly just forgot!). The only other hiccup was she asked my wife if she had ever overstayed before and she said no, but she had (she didn't understand that she had overstayed her ESTA even though we had married). The interviewer explained to her that she had overstayed but it didn't seem like a big deal at all and my wife simply didn't understand that she had - no ill will. 

The thing that REALLY bothered me was that we submitted quite a bit of evidence with the original packet. Join bank account statement, two separate joint credit cards, joint tax return, and 15 or so photos of us. During the interview the lady asked if we had more proof and said something like "because you didn't submit very much"... Apparently she only looked at the first pages of the bank statements and credit cards (the mail to: section only had my name) you had to look further through the statements to see that they were joint accounts. She thought they were just accounts in my  name. This really bothered me that someone who's job it is to review these documents could miss that all of these were joint accounts...

I really wish I didn't have anything to worry about but it seems like most people that are approved are told at the end of the interview. We weren't really told anything at the end. She asked if we had questions, which I jokingly asked if we were approved (lol) and she just brushed off the joke and didn't give any indication that that it was approved or if we did well. The only feedback she gave was that we were less nervous than most couples. She also said it can take up to 120 days post interview for them to make an official decision....

I am terrified that something went wrong or that she thought something was off... It seems like 99% of the interview experiences I see on this site and others is that they tell you right away if you're approved or not. I checked my email and USCIS login and there has been no update in the case.

We are a legitimate couple/marriage and really went into the interview worry-free but now we're a little on edge. 

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Edited by IHaveNoName

AOS from VWP/ESTA

Filed: 07/05/2019

Notified Via Text: 07/12/2019

Checks Cashed: 07/15/2019

Biometrics Taken: 8/10/2019

It seems to vary from office to office if they tell you or not; I also feel like I've seen cases through the same field office where some have been told and some have not.  When we did AOS through Chicago we were not told one way or the other and had to wait about 4 weeks for our online status to update to approved.  I think this was likely because our original K-1 application had not made it to the Chicago Field Office before our AOS interview so that needed to arrive to be further reviewed before final approval.  Unfortunately, the only thing to do now is try to relax as the waiting game continues.  I'm certainly not looking forward to joining it all again when we apply for ROC In March 2020  🙂

K1 Condensed Timeline:

02/27/17 - I-129F sent; 03/10/17 - NOA1 hard copy received; 06/15/17 - NOA2 hard copy received; 07/16/17 - NVC processing completed; 08/24/17 - Interview (Approved); 09/04/17 - Visa in Hand; 10/26/17 - POE; 12/20/17 - Marriage

AOS Condensed Timeline:

02/06/18 - I-485 sent; 02/20/18 - NOA1 hard copy received; 03/09/18 - Biometrics Completed; 04/21/18 - Interview Appointment Letter Received; 05/14/18 - Interview; 06/08/18 - Approved/Card in Production; 06/16/18 - GC Received

RoC Condensed Timeline:

3/10/20 - I-751 sent; 3/20/20 - NOA received - LIN; 3/10/21 - Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Reused; 4/05/21 - New Card is Being Produced

N400

03/25/21 - Application filed online; 01/15/22 - Interview Scheduled Notification;  02/22/22 - Interview; 02/22/22 - Interview Passed and Same Day Oath Ceremony.  DONE!!!

21 minutes ago, IHaveNoName said:

It seems like 99% of the interview experiences I see on this site and others is that they tell you right away if you're approved or not.

I would say it's more like 50-50. As mentioned, it seems to vary widely between office to office (maybe the local office's Director's policy?), from interviewer to interviewer, who the interviewer is (from what I see, some interviewers do not have the powder to approve petitions on the spot, and some do), ... 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
17 hours ago, USS_Voyager said:

I would say it's more like 50-50. As mentioned, it seems to vary widely between office to office (maybe the local office's Director's policy?), from interviewer to interviewer, who the interviewer is (from what I see, some interviewers do not have the powder to approve petitions on the spot, and some do), ... 

I checked the site this morning and for my I-130 it says "Interview Was Completed And My Case Must Be Reviewed"... But for my I-485 it says "New Card Is Being Produced"... 

I don't want to get my hopes up too soon but it seems like this is pretty common and we got approved?!

AOS from VWP/ESTA

Filed: 07/05/2019

Notified Via Text: 07/12/2019

Checks Cashed: 07/15/2019

Biometrics Taken: 8/10/2019

4 minutes ago, IHaveNoName said:

I checked the site this morning and for my I-130 it says "Interview Was Completed And My Case Must Be Reviewed"... But for my I-485 it says "New Card Is Being Produced"... 

I don't want to get my hopes up too soon but it seems like this is pretty common and we got approved?!

Yes, congratulations. The I-485 is all that matters.

2 hours ago, IHaveNoName said:

Congratulations , it seems as if you are all set. 

I had my interview this morning, adjusting from F1. My interview was about 20 mins maximum. It was pretty much straight forward because he only went over questions on the application, asked for lease, pictures, bills, insurance etc. The only personal he asked was how we met and where we got married, nothing else. After that, he said this completes your interview and you will he notified in the mail. Shortly after, my case was updated to Interview completed, case must be reviewed. I was hoping to get an answer after the interview. This review got me anxious 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.