hmmm

filed both k3 and I130- now confused

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline

:help::help::help::help::help:

I got married in India last year and filed the I-130 and 129F/k3 in the US. Apparently they both have the same processing times and I received approval notices for both last week. My husband lives in India and has never been to the US before. The approval notice for the I-130 says "the petition indicates that the person for whom you are petitioning is in the US and will apply for adjustment of status." I have called USCIS and NVC five times and got five different answers about what to do...they include "send USCIS a letter asking them to correct their mistake, file I-824 (more paperwork to process and $200), contact NVC (who could not help me because they had no info yet), let him come on the K3 because it takes less than a month and then do the adjustment of status (does K3 really work that fast?), and finally an immigration officer said to do nothing it will get taken care of in India (why would they mail it to India if they think he is in the US?)

Does anyone have any advice on what to do? I am very confused. The K3 approval notice looks fine, but I would rather have him come with an I130 visa. I also don't want any confusion with his paperwork when he attends his visa interview. The people at NVC said they would not be receiving any info on him if the approval says he is in the US.

Timeline

I got married in India last year and filed the I-130 and 129F/k3 in the US. Apparently they both have the same processing times and I received approval notices for both last week. My husband lives in India and has never been to the US before. The approval notice for the I-130 says "the petition indicates that the person for whom you are petitioning is in the US and will apply for adjustment of status." I have called USCIS and NVC five times and got five different answers about what to do...they include "send USCIS a letter asking them to correct their mistake, file I-824 (more paperwork to process and $200), contact NVC (who could not help me because they had no info yet), let him come on the K3 because it takes less than a month and then do the adjustment of status (does K3 really work that fast?), and finally an immigration officer said to do nothing it will get taken care of in India (why would they mail it to India if they think he is in the US?)

Does anyone have any advice on what to do? I am very confused. The K3 approval notice looks fine, but I would rather have him come with an I130 visa. I also don't want any confusion with his paperwork when he attends his visa interview. The people at NVC said they would not be receiving any info on him if the approval says he is in the US.

If you choose to take the I-130 route.. it will take few extra months for the interview since the I-130 sits at the visa center. the k-3 goes straight to the consulate in india. k-3 is apparently faster by other people's account.

I-130

Sent:03/02/07

NOA1:03/06/07

Touched:03/09/2007

APPROVED: 07/31/2007 (151 Days)

I-129

Sent:03/14/2007

NOA1:03/20/07

Transfered CSC:04/05/07

Touched:04/06/07

Touched:04/09/07

Touched:04/25/07(received pending email)

Touched:04/26/07

Touched:04/27/07

APPROVED:07/31/2007

NVC received: 08/30/07

Consulate forward: 08/31/07

Consulate received: 09/10/2007

Submitted DS-230: 09/18/2007

Interview: 11/06/2007

Visa received: 12/14/2007

AOS

Mailed packet: 01/17/2008

Delivered: 01/21/2008

Check cashed: 02/05/2008

NOA1: 02/04/2008

Biometrics appt: 02/20/2008

Request for initial evidence: 02/25/2008 (yikesssss)

RFE mailed: 03/03/2008

RFE received: 03/12/2008 (case processing resumed)

EAD ordered: 3/19/2008 (Thank God)

EAD received: 3/28/2008

Interview: 07/23/2008 (AHHHHHH- they request full medical)

07/25/2008 (medical submitted)

08/08/2008 (CRIS email- card production ordered)

08/19/2008: Green Card Received.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

k-3 is really faster n aos is easier too coz it is faster

i-130 route will take 3-4 months approx more coz it has to be thru securtiy checks etc at the nvc level

india.gifusa.gif

NVC:

03/14/2007-NVC ASSIGNS CASE NUMBER

03/29/2007-AOS FEE BILL AND DS-3032 GENERATED

03/29/2007-AOS FEE BILL FEES MAILED AND DS-3032 MAILED

04/03/2007-NVC ACKNOWLEDGES CHOICE OF AGENT

04/10/2007-I.V FEE BILL GENERATED

04/18/2007-I-864 GENERATED

04/20/2007-I.V. BILL RECEIVED & MAILED TO N.V.C

04/23/2007-I-864 SENT TO NVC

04/26/2007-I.V. FEE BILL & I-864 ENTERED INTO THE NVC SYSTEM

04/30/2007-NVC BARCODE & INSTRUCTIONS FOR DS-230

05/09/2007-DS-230 SENT

05/23/2007-CASE COMPLETED

VISA APPROVED .

05/XX/2007-FLIGHT To JFK POE

another step of I-751 coming near :)

p.s. My opinion is only what i read research and get advices from experienced people.I aint any

lawyer .

.png

Namastey !

Try and do a Info pass at your local USCIS office! They may be able to "pull up" and correct.

Difficult to get correct info on the phone!

Hardest part is you don't know if the info given on the phone is correct or not!

Been there! done that many times.

Stick with the CR as it's a MUCH better visa. K3s suck. Been there done that also!

Edited by beckypua

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

hello,

I believe, at this point, you pretty much have to take K3 visa route. From what I know, in your case, if you wanna persue I130, you need to file I-824 and pay $200. then they will forward your case to NVC. On Vj, I have not seen any approvals (of I-824). So your best bet is to come here on K3 and do AOS here. So now, if you do nothing, your I129 will be sent to NVC soon. It will stay at NVC probably for a week and then off to the embassy. Then its upto embassy on how quickly they schedule your interview :) I hope I am being clear :)

anyways gluck!

07/31/2011 -- US Citizen wife applied for her parents I-130

12/12/2011 -- Got NOA1 ONLY for mom's file

/**********************************************************/

12/22/2006 -- got married in india

01/17/2007 -- I-130 packet sent to NSC

01/27/2007 -- moved to CSC

01/29/2007 -- NOA1 received

04/19/2007 -- NOA2 received

K3 -- I129F

2/12/2007 -- packet sent

2/22/2007 -- NOA 1

4/25/2007 -- notice received in mail

5/10/2007 -- NVC recieved case (finally, after 3 weeks)

5/14/2007 -- NVC sent case to Mumbai embassy

5/21/2007 -- Embassy received case

5/31/2007 -- wife sent in packet 3

6/15/2007 -- wife received packet 4

8/23/2007 -- INTERVIEW DATE wohooooo + got K3 visa on 23rd :)

9/03/2007 -- sweetheart is here in US

AOS - EAD

9/17/2007 -- AOS/EAD package sent to chicago lock box

9/26/2007 -- NOA 1s for 485 & EAD

10/1/2007 -- biometrics appt letter received

10/13/2007 -- fingerprinting....speed it up guys..

11/28/2007 -- card production ordered - EAD

03/04/2008 -- final interview for greeen card :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.