LDRwins

Question about Patient Records and the Medical

3 posts in this topic

Hi, i have a quick question that i've been wondering about. When you go to your medical and take your patient summary with you, is that the only records they will see during the whole process? Do they ever go  look you or your medical records up themselves elsewhere? Reason i ask is because i have had my patient summary printed out for me which shows back to 2007 with significant and minor past listed in very basic form, but at some point in 2008 (i think it was that year) i was very briefly depressed but it is not on the printout that i received. I honestly don't really want to disclose it and have that headache of extra steps ie, getting a doctors letter etc, if i don't have to, but that is why i am wondering if they look into you themselves and might find it from some other records. Or will it just be the patient summary that they view at your medical that will be the only thing they'll see and that will matter? Thanks for any help

4 hours ago, LDRwins said:

Hi, i have a quick question that i've been wondering about. When you go to your medical and take your patient summary with you, is that the only records they will see during the whole process? Do they ever go  look you or your medical records up themselves elsewhere? Reason i ask is because i have had my patient summary printed out for me which shows back to 2007 with significant and minor past listed in very basic form, but at some point in 2008 (i think it was that year) i was very briefly depressed but it is not on the printout that i received. I honestly don't really want to disclose it and have that headache of extra steps ie, getting a doctors letter etc, if i don't have to, but that is why i am wondering if they look into you themselves and might find it from some other records. Or will it just be the patient summary that they view at your medical that will be the only thing they'll see and that will matter? Thanks for any help

I am sure that it is entirely dependent upon the local laws and regulations in the country where you are having the medical done, as well as to how the medical care is organized there.  For example, if the civil surgeon/panel physician is affiliated with a medical center where a person has received care, they would have access to the medical record containing notes from social work, primary care, psychiatric medicine, emergency medicine, etc.

That said, an episode of situational depression from > ten years ago is very unlikely to be any type of issue at all for you.  Most people who have a history of seeking help for mental health issues like depression are never going to present a threat to self or others,  which is the concern in the context of immigration.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When I was doing research for medicals, To my understanding they only wanted a history of current major issues whether it’s a disease, mental health issue, etc and a doctors note explaining the meds and prognosis. However that is what I found on “what we require” on medical websites in Canada here. Don’t be afraid to call to clarify what exactly they mean as I’m sure it’s different for everyone. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.