krasavishna

cr instead of ir

26 posts in this topic

HI again,

I emailed Sydney and asked if it was a mistake on their part and what should we do about it. Here is their reply -

If you're married for more than 2 years than your wife's visa should be

an IR1. I guess the petition was lodged with us while the 2 year is

not

inclusive and overlooked changing it on the day of the interview. When

did you get married? Anyway, if you wish, you may point it out to the

Immigration Inspector at the port of entry and show them your marriage

certificate.

If you still require further information, please do not hesitate to

contact us.

Well, my husband did show the Inspector at Immigration our marriage certificate and explained we were married for two years, the Inspector didn't want to look at it and said we were to contact our local immigration office!

If you haven't left for SFO yet, send an email to the Consulate and ask them if it was a mistake and what you need to do to fix it. If they say the same thing as Sydney about bringing your marriage certificate with you into SFO then show that email to the inspector. Hopefully, you will have better luck than me! We are still awaiting further advice from Sydney as to what to do now that we are in the US with a 2yr green card instead of a 10yr.

Edited by hollywood79

11-05-06 Sent I-130 to California

06-01-07 INTERVIEW

06-04-07 Received VISA in the mail. Silly Consulate issued me CR-1 instead of IR-1, no time to change it in Australia, will try to change it once in California.

06-10-07 POE SFO

06-21-07 Receive SSN#

07-12-07 Receive Green Card in the mail STILL HAD CR1 INSTEAD OF IR1

12-10-07 Finally sent I-90 asking for a new green card with correct info.

06-17-08 INFOPASS - Was told USCIS sent new green card to old address back in Jan. Will resend it but may not be able to correct error as it was made by Consulate not USCIS.

What to do now??

Filed: Timeline

hollywood79,

Try submitting a form I-90 to the USCIS for a corrected green card on the basis of clerical error (no fee).

The only basis for status being conditional is when it's granted prior to the 2nd wedding anniversary. The CBP officer's error and the failure of USCIS to catch his error does not change the law.

Yodrak

HI again,

I emailed Sydney and asked if it was a mistake on their part and what should we do about it. Here is their reply -

If you're married for more than 2 years than your wife's visa should be

an IR1. I guess the petition was lodged with us while the 2 year is

not

inclusive and overlooked changing it on the day of the interview. When

did you get married? Anyway, if you wish, you may point it out to the

Immigration Inspector at the port of entry and show them your marriage

certificate.

If you still require further information, please do not hesitate to

contact us.

Well, my husband did show the Inspector at Immigration our marriage certificate and explained we were married for two years, the Inspector didn't want to look at it and said we were to contact our local immigration office!

If you haven't left for SFO yet, send an email to the Consulate and ask them if it was a mistake and what you need to do to fix it. If they say the same thing as Sydney about bringing your marriage certificate with you into SFO then show that email to the inspector. Hopefully, you will have better luck than me! We are still awaiting further advice from Sydney as to what to do now that we are in the US with a 2yr green card instead of a 10yr.

Edited by Yodrak

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Unfortunately, I have left for SFO, and the officer did not change CR to IR. What did the embassy tell you to do now? Any luck from USCIS appointment?

I have been married to my husband for more than 2 years. However, when we started the papework, it was just a year. When I went to the interview, we have been married for 2 years and 3 months. I specifically asked the officer, what type of visa I would get, SHe said that I would get IR-1. I got my visa today and it says cr-1.

What to do now?

If i do end up going on CR-1, when should I start removing condition? Right after I arrive or only when I am in US for 1 year and 9 months.

Please help, I am sooo confused now!!! :help:

If you have a couple of days of time, or a week, report back to US embassy to correct it.

Tell them that it was supposed to be issued as IR-1, but it is CR1 instead.

For me, it is same type of errors such as misspelling of name, or wrong DOB.

Some immigration officers at POE is not eager to correct the type from CR1 to IR1, because it is done by Consular officer from State Department.

So you better spend some time to fix the errors from US embassy.

If you have no time to work out with US embassy, I guess you have to deal with POE immigration officer.

If immigration officer at POE is not eager to do that, you have to deal with local US CIS field officer.

If you get 2-year I-551, you can remove the condition after 1 year and 9 month ~ 2 year from the date of I-551 assurance.

Ok here is an update -

After 8 emails and 1 week between myself and the Sydney Consulate I have confirmation they made a mistake. However they didn't say it was exactly, just that it was overlooked. I found them to be stupid (no other better word to describe them) as they kept asking the same questions when I provided all the required info in my first email.

They suggested I contact USCIS and it change through them. Unfortunately my local office is LA, a 3-4 hour drive. I can no longer drive on my Aussie license so I have to wait for my husband to take day off so we can go to LA. Hopefully next week. I only received my green card in the mail today and was hoping the USCIS would pick up the mistake but they didn't so my green card says CR-1 and expires in 2 years. I can't get through to them on the phone so we will just make an infopass appointment.

Sorry to hear they did the same to you at SFO. :(

I sent the Customs Border Patrol an email asking why they didn't change it when I went through immigration and why would the Consulate said they could change it as it can be changed. Still no reply.

06-01-07 INTERVIEW

06-04-07 Received VISA in the mail. Silly Consulate issued me CR-1 instead of IR-1, no time to change it in Australia, will try to change it once in California.

06-10-07 POE SFO

06-21-07 Receive SSN#

06-17-08 INFOPASS - Was told USCIS sent new green card to old address back in Jan. Will resend it but may not be able to correct error as it was made by Consulate not USCIS.

What to do now??

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

Why can't you drive on your australian license? Typically foreigners in the US can drive on the license in their country, at least for a certain period of time.

For detailed timeline, see member timeline data.

You have rights antecedent to all earthly governments: rights that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws; rights derived from the Great Legislator of the universe.

--John Adams

j.jpg

Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.

--Ron Paul

Why can't you drive on your australian license? Typically foreigners in the US can drive on the license in their country, at least for a certain period of time.

Unfortunately in CA you only have 30 days once you arrive as a perm resident to drive on your foriegn license. If you want to continue driving you have to sit the driving test.

06-01-07 INTERVIEW

06-10-07 POE SFO

06-21-07 Receive SSN#

What to do now??

Timeline
Ok here is an update -

After 8 emails and 1 week between myself and the Sydney Consulate I have confirmation they made a mistake. However they didn't say it was exactly, just that it was overlooked. I found them to be stupid (no other better word to describe them) as they kept asking the same questions when I provided all the required info in my first email.

They suggested I contact USCIS and it change through them. Unfortunately my local office is LA, a 3-4 hour drive. I can no longer drive on my Aussie license so I have to wait for my husband to take day off so we can go to LA. Hopefully next week. I only received my green card in the mail today and was hoping the USCIS would pick up the mistake but they didn't so my green card says CR-1 and expires in 2 years. I can't get through to them on the phone so we will just make an infopass appointment.

I sent the Customs Border Patrol an email asking why they didn't change it when I went through immigration and why would the Consulate said they could change it as it can be changed. Still no reply.

Well, I am so mad at them. I hoped that USCIS would notice a mistake and change it to IR for you( and hopefully for me)

I did not get my card yet. but I know that there are two ways now^

1. File I-90( that is what immigration officer would most likely tell you to do) It can take a year for them to correct the mistake

2. Wait 1 yr and 9 months and get your condition removed. This is the way I am going to do it( most likely)

Anyway,

thank you for updating me with the info. Anyway,

I would really appreciate to share the outcome f USCIS appointment.

Ok here is an update -

Well, I am so mad at them. I hoped that USCIS would notice a mistake and change it to IR for you( and hopefully for me)

1. File I-90( that is what immigration officer would most likely tell you to do) It can take a year for them to correct the mistake

2. Wait 1 yr and 9 months and get your condition removed. This is the way I am going to do it( most likely)

Anyway,

Another thing you can do or your Citizen spouse can do is to contact your Congressman in your district to correct US CIS and US state department's mistake.

Maybe you can go with I-90 form petition along with this option.

You can point out that the government made mistake or overlooking whatever, and nobody is responsible for correcting mistake.

Edited by moonhunt

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
Ok here is an update -

Anyway,

Another thing you can do or your Citizen spouse can do is to contact your Congressman in your district to correct US CIS and US state department's mistake.

Maybe you can go with I-90 form petition along with this option.

You can point out that the government made mistake or overlooking whatever, and nobody is responsible for correcting mistake.

Ok, the update.

I got y green card today. They did not just issued a card for 2 years, but hey even managed to make a mistake in my lat name. I am going to file I-90. I also made an appointment for the 3rd of AUG

You and I are not having any luck with these people!!!!!!

I had my infopass appoinment 2 days ago. They weren't alot of help. The Officer kept explaining what a CR-1 is and how to adust my status. I just kept trying to explain we had been married more than 2 years. He didn't get it until a Superviser stepped in and said "oh, you just need to complete a I-90 and mail it." I knew that!!! I just wanted to submit my form to them there and make sure no more mistakes would be made!! I have come to the conclusion that if you are so dumb and stupid and can't get a job anywhere else just apply to the US government and you will find yourself a job!!

So, I will eventually mail off my I-90, my green card ( will keep a copy for myself), and a copy of the visa and CR-1 stamp in my passport. This will all be sent via registered mail.

Hope you have better luck at your appointment!!!

06-01-07 INTERVIEW

06-10-07 POE SFO

06-21-07 Receive SSN#

What to do now??

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.