Jump to content

Can she stay for longer than 180 days after applying for OCI

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts

I am asking about a US citizen elderly family member.

She is in India since May 29th 2019 so she there for about 150 days ...Due to various medical issues she could not apply for OCI or

could not renounce Indian citizen or surrender Indian passport.


Now on her etourist visa page it says 'Continuous stay during each visit should not exceed 180 days'


I believe she will not get OCI within 30 days even if she applies today correct? How long it takes to get OCI card if application is filed from India itself?

Also does she need renunciation certificate before she can apply for OCI?


So my question is ..if she applies for OCI ..can she legally overstay .i.e. more than 180 days while waiting for OCI card to arrive ?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...