MrsRBernard

October 2019 Filers I-130 IR5

77 posts in this topic

• 6 months later...

It has been a while! Anyone cares to update their cases? Any interview scheduled? My parents are scheduled to have their interview on April 9! The interview appointment came so unexpectedly because I kept thinking it wouldn’t happen until at least like June. We have only three weeks to do medical exams/vaccination and gather all required documentation. But I am glad the journey is almost over, 18 months since the priority date. And the delay caused by COVID-19 turned out to be a good thing, who would have thought, right? The Biden administration no longer requires immigrant visa applicants like our parents to present the DS-5540 form, Public Charge Questionnaire, at the interview (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/update-on-public-charge.html). I will share their interview experience. Good luck to everyone’s parents!

Filed: Country: India
Timeline
9 hours ago, HanhChi said:

It has been a while! Anyone cares to update their cases? Any interview scheduled? My parents are scheduled to have their interview on April 9! The interview appointment came so unexpectedly because I kept thinking it wouldn’t happen until at least like June. We have only three weeks to do medical exams/vaccination and gather all required documentation. But I am glad the journey is almost over, 18 months since the priority date. And the delay caused by COVID-19 turned out to be a good thing, who would have thought, right? The Biden administration no longer requires immigrant visa applicants like our parents to present the DS-5540 form, Public Charge Questionnaire, at the interview (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/update-on-public-charge.html). I will share their interview experience. Good luck to everyone’s parents!

Good that IR-5 Interviews have started . Which country are you from ? Best wishes . 

2 hours ago, Gar9 said:

Good that IR-5 Interviews have started . Which country are you from ? Best wishes . 

Hello Gar9! It has been a while. Have you received any updates on your parents’ cases? I am from Vietnam. The US consulate there has resumed IR-5 visa services since mid March, I think. I have seen people who got documentarily qualified in August, 2020 scheduled for interview. So they are actually moving surprisingly fast.

Anyway, here is the timeline of my parents’ cases in case someone is interested in knowing

10/15/2019: application packages sent

10/17: application packages received by USCIS

10/23: received notice of USCIS Account Access

10/31: received NOA1, cases being processed by Texas Service Center

04/24/2020: I-130 Approval Notice received via email ( about six month wait since PD.)

06/16/2020: documentarily qualified

03/18/2021: interview scheduled for 04/9/2022 (almost 18 months since priority date)

Timeline
2 hours ago, HanhChi said:

Hello Gar9! It has been a while. Have you received any updates on your parents’ cases? I am from Vietnam. The US consulate there has resumed IR-5 visa services since mid March, I think. I have seen people who got documentarily qualified in August, 2020 scheduled for interview. So they are actually moving surprisingly fast.

Anyway, here is the timeline of my parents’ cases in case someone is interested in knowing

04/24/2020: I-130 Approval Notice received via email ( about six month wait since PD.)

03/18/2021: interview scheduled for 04/9/2022 (almost 18 months since priority date)

Hi !  Very nice to connect with you once again .

In India , IR-5 interviews have not yet started . Our case was DQed in mid Oct. 2020 , so our interview is expected in about 2-3 months .

I would like to know if your both parents have Interview on the same date & time . Will they both be allowed to appear for the interview jointly or seperately ?  Both were allowed to have Interview on the same date by NVC on its own or you had to make some efforts for it ?

Please write about your parents' interview experience in details in this forum or otherwise you can write to me by Personal Message also , as you wish . 

Best wishes for your parents' interview . 

Timeline
15 hours ago, HanhChi said:

You have mentioned above that your parents interview scheduled for 04/9/2022 (almost 18 months since priority date) . 

Is it in April 2022  or  2021  ? 

6 hours ago, Gar9 said:

You have mentioned above that your parents interview scheduled for 04/9/2022 (almost 18 months since priority date) . 

Is it in April 2022  or  2021  ? 

Oops! It was a typo. I meant 2021, in less than two weeks. Sorry for the confusion. And yes, my parents are scheduled to have their interview together on the same date and at the same time. I didn’t do anything. It was NVC that handled the scheduling. I think any case that involves two parents of the same petitioner, they will automatically be scheduled to have one interview together. It happened the same way whenever my parents were interviewed for their tourist visas in the past as well.

Edited by HanhChi

Timeline
12 hours ago, HanhChi said:

Oops! It was a typo. I meant 2021, in less than two weeks. Sorry for the confusion. And yes, my parents are scheduled to have their interview together on the same date and at the same time. I didn’t do anything. It was NVC that handled the scheduling. I think any case that involves two parents of the same petitioner, they will automatically be scheduled to have one interview together. It happened the same way whenever my parents were interviewed for their tourist visas in the past as well.

Will you also join your parents for the interview or both of them will manage it themselves ? 

Anxiously awaiting details of the interview experience .

Good Luck .

Timeline
1 minute ago, Gar9 said:

Will you also join your parents for the interview or both of them will manage it themselves ? 

Good Luck .

P.S. - Your interview date 04/09/2021 was scheduled by NVC/Consulate and informed to you through a letter/email  ? Or otherwise they advised you to choose the date through VAC/ OFC / or UStraveldocs.com website ? 

Best wishes . 

17 hours ago, hena said:

great to know that interviews are being scheduled. does anyone know if the interview will be in English language or it can be in local language? Can we request for interview to be held in local language (my parents are in India and will be interviewed in Mumbai).

From our experience, the immigration officers are often capable of speaking the local language, in our case, it is Vietnamese. I am not sure if that is the case in India. If not, my guess is that they will provide a translator for your parents. I’d check the website of US embassy/consulate in Mumbai to see if they have any information on that.

15 hours ago, Gar9 said:

Good Luck .

My parents will be on their own. They have done several B2 Visa interviews by themselves  before so they have some experience. Of course, this time is a little bit different, but I am pretty confident that they know what to expect. I do prepare a list of potential questions and answers for them though.

14 hours ago, Gar9 said:

P.S. - Your interview date 04/09/2021 was scheduled by NVC/Consulate and informed to you through a letter/email  ? Or otherwise they advised you to choose the date through VAC/ OFC / or UStraveldocs.com website ? 

Best wishes . 

Yes, the NVC scheduled the appointment and informed me via email. Those email serve as Letter of Appointment that my parents will be bringing to the interview. Unlike non-immigration visas, for immigration visas, you can’t choose the appointment date yourself. I hope this helps!

Edited by HanhChi

Timeline
9 hours ago, HanhChi said:

From our experience, the immigration officers are often capable of speaking the local language, in our case, it is Vietnamese. I am not sure if that is the case in India. If not, my guess is that they will provide a translator for your parents. I’d check the website of US embassy/consulate in Mumbai to see if they have any information on that.

My parents will be on their own. They have done several B2 Visa interviews by themselves  before so they have some experience. Of course, this time is a little bit different, but I am pretty confident that they know what to expect. I do prepare a list of potential questions and answers for them though.

Yes, the NVC scheduled the appointment and informed me via email. Those email serve as Letter of Appointment that my parents will be bringing to the interview. Unlike non-immigration visas, for immigration visas, you can’t choose the appointment date yourself. I hope this helps!

Good Luck .

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 3/30/2021 at 7:07 AM, Gar9 said:

Good Luck .

Presuming that your parents must have successful Interviews on 04/09/2021 , my congratulations . 

Anxiously awaiting details of the interview experience with list of questions asked any any other observations/advices .

Thanks .

22 hours ago, Gar9 said:

Presuming that your parents must have successful Interviews on 04/09/2021 , my congratulations . 

Anxiously awaiting details of the interview experience with list of questions asked any any other observations/advices .

Thanks .

Hello Gar9,

Yes, my parents’ interview went well. The issuance of their visas is, however, still pending as they wait for their TB test results. Once those tests come back negative, which we really hope they will, my parents will receive the visas. If not, they will have to undergo treatment before their visas are issued. 

The IO asked some generic, basic questions about me and our relationship. He also asked about their last trip to the US. Basically, that’s it. The important thing is to have all the most updated documents, e.g., police certificate and tax returns. I think as long as your parents’ medical exams are cleared and their documents are up to date, the interview is just a formality.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.