katiemarcochikis

IR-1 application filed - what happens next?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

This may be a silly question and I could email our lawyer, but I bug the poor lady enough as it is 😬😊 

We applied for my husband’s IR1 exactly 1 year ago. Our lawyer tells us that we are just waiting on an appointment letter so I have always assumes the next step is that we receive an appointment letter, make travel plans, and my husband has his appointment. 

However, as I read lots of posts I see people saying things like, “our case is marked closed, but still waiting on appointment.” or “our CC date was ____, but we’re still waiting for our appointment.” and I am confused by that. 

I know every situation is different so here’s a little background on our visa journey if it helps:

In our situation we needed a 601 waiver approval prior to applying for my husband’s IR1. We joyfully received his waiver approval in July 2018 🙌🏼 We then paid his visa fees. His application and all necessary documents were sent in mid-October 2018 by our lawyer. Again, our lawyer has told us we are now just waiting on the appointment. Is this accurate or is there another step before that? 

Currently waiting for appointment in Ciudad Juarez. I am aware of the major delays with Juarez right now. Any insight on this process would be helpful!! ✌🏼❤️😊

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

You should have received an email from NVC, it gets sent to you and to your attorney. In this email there is an attachment, when you open said attachment it stated the date on which your case was complete/closed (CC) and it states you are now on queue for an interview appointment at your corresponding US consulate. I’m not sure which consulate that would be for you but if it were to be the Ciudad Juárez consulate for example, it will take 9-12 months from your CC date for you to receive an appointment letter with the date and time as well as other important information and the appointment will be held a month to a month and a half after the date on which you received said appointment letter.

Timeline
6 hours ago, Dalila Gonzalez said:

You should have received an email from NVC, it gets sent to you and to your attorney. In this email there is an attachment, when you open said attachment it stated the date on which your case was complete/closed (CC) and it states you are now on queue for an interview appointment at your corresponding US consulate. I’m not sure which consulate that would be for you but if it were to be the Ciudad Juárez consulate for example, it will take 9-12 months from your CC date for you to receive an appointment letter with the date and time as well as other important information and the appointment will be held a month to a month and a half after the date on which you received said appointment letter.

Wow, this is disheartening news as it’s been 13 months since we applied and we have not even received that email. Do you suppose it’s possible only our lawyer received the email? I will have to ask her if we have a CC date. Thank you for the reply!

Timeline
13 hours ago, katiemarcochikis said:

Wow, this is disheartening news as it’s been 13 months since we applied and we have not even received that email. Do you suppose it’s possible only our lawyer received the email? I will have to ask her if we have a CC date. Thank you for the reply!

If your lawyer did not put your information down and just put her own that is possible. You should contact her and ask her to forward said email to you. You can also call NVC, give them your case number and invoice number and they should just disclose the date on which your case was considered a case complete and put on queue. Our case took 2 months to be a CC

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 11/15/2019 at 7:40 PM, Dalila Gonzalez said:

If your lawyer did not put your information down and just put her own that is possible. You should contact her and ask her to forward said email to you. You can also call NVC, give them your case number and invoice number and they should just disclose the date on which your case was considered a case complete and put on queue. Our case took 2 months to be a CC

We got our appointment letter on Monday, November 25th! Interview scheduled for December 26th in Juarez. The confirmation did end up just going to our lawyer after all. It took 12 months for us to receive our appointment after our CC date. YAY! Onto the next step, fingers crossed for an approval 😊

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.