solipsist

Rescheduling Interview and Domicile Issues

18 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Greetings!

I was petitioned by my mother who is a US Citizen under F1 category. I'm at the NVC stage I've submitted all required documents to the NVC via CEAC. I got DQed today. My questions are numbered and underlined.

1) How long does it usually take from the time you're DQed to the time the Philippines Embassy schedules your interview.

Rescheduling interviews
I'm going to be traveling a lot over the next 4 months. Seeing that the Philippines has a online scheduling system.

2) How often can I reschedule a green card interview with the Philippine Embassy?
3) How far into the future can I reschedule the interview?

Domicile Issues
My mother is in the Philippines right now for surgery happening around end of Nov. She might not be able to return to the US until she fully recovers around Feb - March 2020. This is also another reason why I'm asking the questions above.

4) If I go to my interview and she's still in the Philippines will that be a problem?

I have the following to present as evidence of domicile:
- recent photos of her in California including pictures of her in the hospital.
- Medical records from US hospital visits date Sept to Oct 2019
- Letter from insurance company regarding hospital visit dated Sept 2019
- Lease agreement for her listed US address dated Sept 2019 valid until Sept 2020
- US Bank statement containing $200 dated Oct 2019
- DHL parcel envelope sent to me by her showing her US address dated Sept 2019

- her California health insurance card showing her US address valid until 2026
- her US Social Security Card

5) Are these sufficient evidence to establish domicile?

Thanks in advance for the replies! Regards!

Edited by solipsist

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

1.  It can take weeks for NVC to provide your interview date.   Nice thing is once your case file is at the embassy you can reschedule to an earlier date if one is available.   

Info here:  https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/us-embassy-usem.html

2/3.  You are not having a green card interview, you are applying for an immigrant visa to enter the USA.  I am not sure if there are limitations with the immigrant visa regarding rescheduling, no one has ever reported an issue that I have read about, you may want to contact the embassy.   I know for the K-1 they are limited to rescheduling twice.    Appt calendar only show two months at a time.

4/5.  Your mom has a home in the USA at the moment?  Visiting the Philippines does not mean she doesn't have a domicile in the USA .   Domicile is her residence in the USA, evidence for that would be copies of utility bills, deed or lease, U.S. bank statements addressed to her home there.   < Your mom appears to have adequate evidence of her U.S. domicile.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

What happens if I go to my interview and my mom is still in the Philippines?
In the event I do get my immigrant visa, Does my mom have to be in the US when I enter it?

Edited by solipsist

Timeline
4 hours ago, solipsist said:

What happens if I go to my interview and my mom is still in the Philippines?
In the event I do get my immigrant visa, Does my mom have to be in the US when I enter it?

No you mom does not have to be in the USA when you get your visa.  You could both travel back together if you want.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

hmmm I just noticed that her lease agreement doesn't have signatures and her bank statement has my brother's address.

- recent photos of her in California including pictures of her in the hospital.
- Medical records from US hospital visits date Sept to Oct 2019
- Letter from insurance company regarding hospital visit dated Sept 2019
- DHL parcel envelope sent to me by her showing her US address dated Sept 2019

- her California health insurance card showing her US address valid until 2026
- her US Social Security Card

do I still have enough to prove domicile?

Edited by solipsist

Timeline

SS card does not prove domicile.

The lease is important, include it signed or not.    Utility bills, cell phone bills ... anything with your mom's current address in the USA.    Letters and bills from hospital addressed to home address?  For sure include

Were the NOAs from USCIS addressed to your mom's current home?   Add copies of those if you can.  

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
3 hours ago, solipsist said:

sorry, what's an NOA?

That is the I-797 Notice of Action  from USCIS .. receipt and approval for the petition process.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline
2 hours ago, solipsist said:

In the event I do get my IV, does my mother have to be in the US before I enter? Regards

No.   She can stay and fly back with you.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
11 minutes ago, solipsist said:

I mean can I enter the US if she isn't there? She might go to europe after the holidays.

Ah .. sure you can.     Just tell her to leave a key to the house under the mat and a well stocked fridge  ... :lol:  

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.