SFK19

Flu shot for marriage based AOS interview

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

this would be my very first post on here, so I’m still figuring out how things work...

Here’s my situation:

I got immigration medical exam (I-693) completed and received sealed package in mid Sep, 2019 (as the AOS- marriage base interview was scheduled at the end of Sep, but got cancelled on the day. Still waiting to be rescheduled). I still have the package in hand. I didn’t receive a flu shot because it wasn’t the flu season when I completed immigration medical exam in Sep, 2019. Now in the flu season and my interview might be scheduled during the flu season, do I need to get a flu shot and update I-693 form for the AOS interview now? Or I don’t need to worry about getting it since my immigration medical is completed during non-flu season even though the interview may be during the flu season? I called the clinic and they told me that I need to repeat the whole process of medical exam with the whole payment to add a flu shot to vaccination record on I-693 even though I completed the medical exam with them not long ago. I just don’t wanna get RFE during the interview because I haven’t received a flu shot and wait for extra months. I think reaching to the interview is long enough. So any input for what I should do would be appreciated. 

No you dont need a flu shot if it wasnt flu season when your I693 was signed.

"3. Influenza Vaccination

The flu vaccination is only available during the flu season. For purposes of Form I-693, the flu season commences annually on October 1 and runs through March 31.

Over time, CDC has changed the age category of applicants required to obtain the flu vaccine for immigration purposes. As of November 16, 2010, CDC’s Technical Instructions require that all applicants 6 months of age or older receive the flu vaccine during the flu season.

If an applicant was required to obtain the flu vaccine at the time of the medical examination (the date of the civil surgeon’s certification governs) but a flu vaccine annotation is missing, the officer should only issue an RFE if it is still the same flu season and if it is reasonable to expect that the applicant will be able to obtain the flu vaccine within the time frame of the RFE.

This accounts for the fact that the flu vaccine is strain-specific and only available for a limited time each year. The officer should not issue an RFE if the applicant will not be able to obtain the strain-specific flu vaccine that had been required at the time of the medical examination because:

• It is no longer the same flu season; or

• It is not the flu season at all."

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-b-chapter-9

The date of your medical is what matters, not the date of your interview.

https://www.uscis.gov/news/questions-and-answers/vaccination-requirements

"Q. When does the flu season start for purposes of the seasonal flu vaccine requirement? Since the seasonal flu vaccine is required, do I have to get the seasonal flu vaccine if it is not the flu season? 
A.  For purposes of the immigration medical examination, the flu season starts on October 1 and ends on March 31 each year. If your immigration medical examination is during this period, you are required to have the seasonal flu vaccine. If you have an immigration medical examination completed between April 1 and September 30, when it is not the flu season for immigration purposes, you are not required to document that you have received the seasonal flu vaccine."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.