dave2

K-1 visa biometrics and interview dates after petition approval period

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

We got letter from NVC on Jul 23 saying they will transfer K-1 visa case to Mumbai consulate and it may take several weeks.  I inquired from CGI Federal on Aug 4, Aug 19, Aug 27, and Sep 26 and they forwarded my inquiries to consulate.  The first three times consulate replied that only electronic file had been received and they were awaiting physical file which will be reviewed and then my fiancee in India would be notified of further instructions.  Then for last inquiry sent on Sep 26 the reply just came saying they had sent Packet 4 by post on Aug 1 (which is incorrect) and they included electronic copy of it in their email reply as well - which is just generic instructions to submit DS-160, pay visa fee, get medical done, and schedule biometric and interview appointments.  However, the petition approval period ends Oct 17 and the earliest available date showing on CGI website is Nov 22.  In this case should I book the earliest dates available and then request them to extend the petition approval period?  Does Mumbai consulate in this type of situation extend it without any issues?

Timeline

i dont know about extension. i have heard they extend it automatically or try emailing Support india. Now you didn't need to wait for embassy to contact you to book interview. You should book you interview already. May be you will be able to change it later. 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I didn't know that we did not need to wait for Embassy/consulate to contact us.  I emailed the Mumbai consulate a 4th time and they responded on Oct 1 that they had sent Packet 4 instructions to my fiancee by post on Aug 1.  However, we had previously inquired three times during Aug and Sep and they had told us they have not received physical file and so we have to wait for instructions.  Anyway, she was able to book biometrics date for Oct 17 (last day of petition approval period) and interview date for Nov 22.  I called them and asked if it's okay that interview date is after petition approval period and they said it should be fine.

For both dates she is going to Mumbai.  However, I read that some people were able to get biometrics done at Delhi VAC even if they have to go to Mumbai consulate for interview.  Not sure if this is still allowed.

Edited by dave2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.