lynnmatic

SS card question

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

My Canadian wife just received Her CR1 visa and mysterious sealed envelope to present at the border when She crosses to the US. She will be winding up Her job in Canada, and joining me later in the summer.

In order to shorten the wait for Her Social Security card, would She be able to make Her entry into the US, get the visa stamped, go to the nearest SS office, apply for Her SS card, then return to Canada to finish things there. That would cut out the wait for Her SS card, and enable Her to begin work as soon as She gets back to the US.

Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

There was a form, which u filled out (cant recal lwhich one) that by checking off a certain box, one will automatuically get the SSN mailed to ur USA residnce once u activate the visa. Did u check off that box. I'm sure some one wil lpipe up and state which form it was. belive it was the DS 230 section II. It should take approx 10 BUSINESS days to arrive. if u havent received it by then, then proceed to the SSn office and say, whats up *&*&*. So she could gotot the nearest POE, activate the cr-1 visa, and immediately head back to Canada, others have done that!!

I checked off the box onthe ds 230, but didnt receive the SSN, so I had to goto the local office and kick some butt!! lol They were very nice, and about a week later, the card arived in the mail!! I waited for quite awhile before going to the office, cause i was in no hurry to do anything,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Timeline

Indeed, there is a space in the DS230 where they ask you if you want them to begin the SSN process on your behalf. did she check that box? If so, she can do what flames just said - activate visa and the card should arrive at your US address. If it doesn't then she can go kick some SSN azzzz when she moves later in the summer I guess. good luck!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am pretty sure that's what Derek did. He lived in Montreal only a few hours from the border, so as I recall he just took a day off to run down to the nearest Vermont town (can't remember which one), applied for his SS card and it arrived at our US address a few weeks later. Derek had already activated his visa though and may have even already received his GC. So while it should be possible for your wife, you may just want to call the closest office to her just to check what they will need for ID.

BTW, Derek also checked the box on the form, but like Flames it never arrived. Actually, has anyone ever had the SS card arrive without having to go to an office?

canadaC.gif - Derek usaCa.gif- KJ

TIMELINE

Civil Ceremony - 02/19/2005

I-130 Mailed Out - 02/25/2005

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

I-130 Approved - 04/07/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Return I-864 - 07/22/2005 *We mailed in the wrong birth certificate which led to a month or so delay*

Family Ceremony - 10/22/2005

Interview in Montreal - 12/22/2005

Activate Visa - 12/25/2005

Move to Virginia - 04/06/2006

Mailed I-751 - 11/02/2007

Received in Vermont - 11/05/2007

Check Cashed by VSC - 11/09/2007

Received NOA 1 - 11/10/2007

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Card production ordered - 09/10/2008

Card received! - 09/17/2008

Now on to citizenship...

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks to all who replied! Yes, She checked off the box on the form mentioned, and the consulate officer in Montreal even mentioned that they would notify SS, so She would be in the system when She arrived in the US. Good info! We will report back on how it went so others can benefit.

Thanks again!

I am pretty sure that's what Derek did. He lived in Montreal only a few hours from the border, so as I recall he just took a day off to run down to the nearest Vermont town (can't remember which one), applied for his SS card and it arrived at our US address a few weeks later. Derek had already activated his visa though and may have even already received his GC. So while it should be possible for your wife, you may just want to call the closest office to her just to check what they will need for ID.

BTW, Derek also checked the box on the form, but like Flames it never arrived. Actually, has anyone ever had the SS card arrive without having to go to an office?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.