Jump to content

Filing N-400 (Tax Question) - Under 5 year rule

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi all,


Will be filing for n-400 under the 5 year rule in a couple of weeks and had a question. Spouse and I are separated but still legally married. Filed my 2018 taxes as MFS (prior years we have always filed MFJ with exception of 2018) Unbeknownst to me she filed her 2018 taxes as Single instead of MFS. Seeing as I will be filing under the 5 years rule which has no bearing on spouse, would this single piece of information mess anything up come naturalization filing/interview. I wonder as part of the naturalization screening if my spouses tax return or mine be called to question?


I know she will have to amend her tax return to reflect MFS because we were in fact married as of 12/31/2018.


Has anyone had this experience? Just curious to get some input from anyone with a similar issue.


Thanks :)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...