Benjaminp1987

I-864 Income from a family member

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am an American citizen.

My husband and I currently reside in the UK and are planning to move back to America in January where we'll be living with my brother.

We filled for our spouse Visa through the embassy in London and I am in the process of completing the I-864 form.

As we are both moving back we don't currently have any income and not enough assets so were going to use my brother's income who we intend to live with as evidence that we meet the poverty threshold. Does anybody have any experience of this and know if this would be sufficient.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sam.

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
38 minutes ago, Benjaminp1987 said:

Does anybody have any experience of this and know if this would be sufficient.

You would have to be more specific about the brothers income and household size to make a determination

16 hours ago, Benjaminp1987 said:

Does anybody have any experience of this and know if this would be sufficient.

Assuming he makes above the poverty guidelines for the size of his household plus your husband, yes. You need to fill out the I-864, he needs to fill out the I-864, and any secondary sponsors from him (for example, if he is married and using their income) would fill out the I-864a. We are going through this at the moment by using my parents income, and we have done it previously (about 6 years ago) using my grandparents income.

48 minutes ago, valaben said:

Assuming he makes above the poverty guidelines for the size of his household plus your husband, yes. You need to fill out the I-864, he needs to fill out the I-864, and any secondary sponsors from him (for example, if he is married and using their income) would fill out the I-864a. We are going through this at the moment by using my parents income, and we have done it previously (about 6 years ago) using my grandparents income.

Thanks for both of your responses, he makes around 6 figures a year and lives alone so should comfortably meet the guidelines.

I was under the impression that I had to complete form I-184 and he just had to complete I-184a or does he also have to complete form 1-184.

Also one more question... I am a bit worried about restablishing domicile so was thinking of moving back to America and living with my brother to begin looking for jobs a little before my husband moves over.

Would this be a better option? Obviously I would rather move over when my husband moves but I want to make sure the process is as smooth as possible.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, Benjaminp1987 said:

I was under the impression that I had to complete form I-184 and he just had to complete I-184a or does he also have to complete form 1-184.

He also has to fill out the I-864.

I am a bit worried about restablishing domicile so was thinking of moving back to America and living with my brother to begin looking for jobs a little before my husband moves over

Lots of people who file DCF do move back before their spouse, for this exact reason. So it might be a good idea to do so. But I understand wanting to stay with your husband, I'm in a bit of the same predicament!

4 minutes ago, valaben said:

He also has to fill out the I-864.

Lots of people who file DCF do move back before their spouse, for this exact reason. So it might be a good idea to do so. But I understand wanting to stay with your husband, I'm in a bit of the same predicament!

Thank you so much for your responses. One last question when he fills out the I-864 would he tick the box for joint sponsor?

No problem!

would he tick the box for joint sponsor?

I think so, but I'm not 100% sure. I think you'd be primary sponsor (or whatever it says on the form) and he'd check joint sponsor. There should be instructions available online, and I believe VJ also has guides available as well.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.