Jump to content

How to get a letter from a SSA office stating that a person doesn't have a SSN yet?

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


I've been investigating how to proceed when my fiancee arrives on a K1 visa.  We'd like to get married quickly after arrival, but after talking to a nearby auditors office, was told that we would need a letter from the Social Security Office stating that she does not have a SSN on file (to get married without a SSN).   I can't seem to find any prior threads discussing this around here, nor any official forms form the SSA to get such a letter.  Does anyone have any experience getting one?  Could we just waltz in and ask for such a thing?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I think I've found the Idaho law that states as such, so it appears that the Recorder isn't mistaken:



Which says:



2)  Every application for a marriage license shall include the social security numbers of the parties applying for the license.

(a)  The requirement that an applicant provide a social security number shall apply only to applicants who have been assigned a social security number.

(b)  An applicant who has not been assigned a social security number shall:

(i)   Present written verification from the social security administration that the applicant has not been assigned a social security number; and

(ii)  Submit a birth certificate, passport or other documentary evidence issued by an entity other than a state or the United States; and

(iii) Submit such proof as the department may require that the applicant is lawfully present in the United States.



Now you'd think there'd be a SS-1234 form or whatever, that you could fill out and bring to the SSA to request such a letter, but no.. After spending the entire evening trying to answer this question, I got nothin'.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...