krystinL

Licence in Maine

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I recently registered my car here, received my plates and everything; my final step was to go to the DMV and transfer my Canadian licence to a Maine State one. 

When I went there today they informed me that because I'm on a K-1 visa, I was ineligible to get a Maine license. The woman who was helping me was unaware why, and did not know when I could return to successfully get one. I called the DMV hotline and the woman asked her supervisor who said I need more than 120 days left on my visa/green card/etc. before I can get a licence. Which I then informed her that my visa is only valid for 90 days entirely and asked what I can do and she was unsure as well. I dont want to have to wait until my green card comes in to get it.

I was wondering if anyone had this issue, and what you did about it?

As a general rule a person can obtain a license in some states with their I94. But this will only last as long as the I94 does, meaning its fairly useless.

Mostly a person will be able to obtain a license when they have the following: a SSN, a piece of mail with their name (like a bank statement or bill) on it showing an address, and finally their EAD which if filed with their AOS, will arrive before the GC will. This license usually lasts for 1yr (or as long as the EAD), and when your GC arrives you may switch it over to a full license.

Many states allow foreign residents to drive on their foreign license for a certain amount of time.

DMV employees are notorious for not understanding their own rules so it is important to educate yourself beforehand, and demand a supervisor if needed.

In general these are the evidences you must present https://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/licenses/getlicense.html

AND these are Maine's document list for non citizens https://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/licenses/noncitizen.html 

As you can see an I94 could have been presented, so long as you could have fulfilled their other requirements. The employee is misunderstanding the rules as follows:

A driver's license or non driver identification card issued to a non-citizen may be issued for a period of time less than the terms described in statute.

1. A credential will not be issued if less than 120 days remain in the authorized period of admission from the date of application for a Maine credential.
  2. A credential will expire on the date indicated as the expiration date of the authorized period of admission.
  3. If the authorized period of admission is duration of status and there is no specified authorized period of admission, the issued credential will expire four (4) years from date of issuance.
  4. If the authorized period of admission is neither, duration of status or indicated by a specific date, the issued credential will expire 120 days from the date of issuance

This means if you fulfill the other ID requirements as above, and present an I94 they will only issue you a license as long as the period of time you have left on the I94. If you haven't much time left, there won't be much point though.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
26 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

As a general rule a person can obtain a license in some states with their I94. But this will only last as long as the I94 does, meaning its fairly useless.

Mostly a person will be able to obtain a license when they have the following: a SSN, a piece of mail with their name (like a bank statement or bill) on it showing an address, and finally their EAD which if filed with their AOS, will arrive before the GC will. This license usually lasts for 1yr (or as long as the EAD), and when your GC arrives you may switch it over to a full license.

Many states allow foreign residents to drive on their foreign license for a certain amount of time.

DMV employees are notorious for not understanding their own rules so it is important to educate yourself beforehand, and demand a supervisor if needed.

In general these are the evidences you must present https://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/licenses/getlicense.html

AND these are Maine's document list for non citizens https://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/licenses/noncitizen.html 

As you can see an I94 could have been presented, so long as you could have fulfilled their other requirements. The employee is misunderstanding the rules as follows:

This means if you fulfill the other ID requirements as above, and present an I94 they will only issue you a license as long as the period of time you have left on the I94. If you haven't much time left, there won't be much point though.

Thank you so much! I had no idea about that, so I appreciate it a lot.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.