sunset2005

everybody tells me no

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

i have been trying to get my husband added to my bank account, checking account and utility bills and I keep being told that I cant cuz he not have a SSN yet or TIN#( i hope that abbreviation is right). What if we have our AOS interview before he gets this TIN#? Immigration wants this supporting evidence but how can I get him added to my accounts when he does not have his TIN#?

i have been trying to get my husband added to my bank account, checking account and utility bills and I keep being told that I cant cuz he not have a SSN yet or TIN#( i hope that abbreviation is right). What if we have our AOS interview before he gets this TIN#? Immigration wants this supporting evidence but how can I get him added to my accounts when he does not have his TIN#?

72maureen,

Some banks (Bank of America for example) don't require a SS# (at least in Texas) to be added - utilities and some/many leasing companies (apartments etc) can be troublesome because they run credit checks (which usually requires a SS#).

Am not 100% sure about the K3 - as far as applying for a SS card - but for the K1, we can do this shortly after entering the country and it only takes 2-4 weeks to get.

Not sure if this is more personal experience than advise.. =)

Filed: Other Timeline

A TIN# (Taxpayer Identification Number) is a social security number. He should already be able to get SS# if he is here. You cna contact Social Security to find the nearest office.

http://www.ssa.gov/

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/intern...d=96696,00.html

Taxpayer Identification Numbers

* Social Security Number "SSN"

* Employer Identification Number "EIN"

* Individual Taxpayer Identification Number "ITIN"

* Taxpayer Identification Number for Pending U.S. Adoptions "ATIN"

* Preparer Taxpayer Identification Number "PTIN"

I appreciate the advice, k3 cant apply for SSN (we tried) only k1. I feel like we are stuck in a hole and cannot accomplish anything. I think I will try to open an account at Bank of America. I just want something that has both our names on it.

Thanks again Karen and Otto, at least there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

72maureen,

Some banks (Bank of America for example) don't require a SS# (at least in Texas) to be added - utilities and some/many leasing companies (apartments etc) can be troublesome because they run credit checks (which usually requires a SS#).

Am not 100% sure about the K3 - as far as applying for a SS card - but for the K1, we can do this shortly after entering the country and it only takes 2-4 weeks to get.

Not sure if this is more personal experience than advise.. =)

There are many banks who will allow you to be added to an account without a SSN..... I was able to be added to my husbands account and also open a savings account before I had a SSN.... also my husband was able to add me as an additional credit card user without my SSN...

When we had our AOS interview I was not on any of the utility bills and it was not a problem.. we did have me added to his 401k as a beneficiary and also added to his life insurance as a beneficiary...

Kez

I appreciate the advice, k3 cant apply for SSN (we tried) only k1. I feel like we are stuck in a hole and cannot accomplish anything. I think I will try to open an account at Bank of America. I just want something that has both our names on it.

Thanks again Karen and Otto, at least there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

72maureen,

I am sorry, But, This statement is not true. My wife is here on a K3 visa, we filed for her and sons ss# soon after they got here. Both had their ss# within 2 weeks of filing. My son needed his for school, my wife needed hers so she could file for her EAD and Drivers license. My wife has been on our Bank account almost from the start, in fact, my wife is still waiting for her greencard and she has her own Credit Card, Drivers License and bank Account.

You have to be persistent and if 1 place denies you then go somewhere else. Information is everywhere.

Patrick

Filed for I-485 AOS 7-12-04

File went to FBI for Name Check on 10-08-2004

AOS interview 2-16-2006

Told that AOS approved "Pending Name Check"

Refiled for EAD 12-12-2006

EAD approved 3-04-2007

I-131-AP filed 2-18-2007

I have written both Senators of my state with no luck.

I have written my district congressman with no luck.

They all say it is out of their hands.

I even wrote GW Bush a letter asking for help , but got no reply.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

A Tax ID is NOT the same thing as the SSN (although similar). My friend is married to an illegal immigrant so he cannot get an SSN, but he does have the tax ID.

My husband was lucky enough to get his SSN, but I think that maybe Wachovia will allow you to open an account w/ a passport.

I was not able to add my husband to my lease until he had the SSN, but he was added to our water bill with no question of an SSN.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

i called my local social security office and was told that my husband cannot apply for SSN until he gets his EAD papers. I guess maybe i will go to another social security office and try.

thank you all for your comments on this.

72maureen,

I am sorry, But, This statement is not true. My wife is here on a K3 visa, we filed for her and sons ss# soon after they got here. Both had their ss# within 2 weeks of filing. My son needed his for school, my wife needed hers so she could file for her EAD and Drivers license. My wife has been on our Bank account almost from the start, in fact, my wife is still waiting for her greencard and she has her own Credit Card, Drivers License and bank Account.

You have to be persistent and if 1 place denies you then go somewhere else. Information is everywhere.

Patrick

Bank of America gave me a credit card just using my TIN, when I didn't have a SSN. Also verizon allowed me to open an account for phone/internet, using my passport and b/c as identification (I didn't have ITIN yet).

Keep trying to get these things in both names. There are many non USC in the US who don't have a SSN and manage to accomplish a lot of these things.

You could also go to Blockbuster and get cards in both names.

As far as I know, K-3 people aren't eligible for a SSN until they have an EAD/Green Card. The person who was given one, might have just been lucky.

Edited by jane2005

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.